e.max glaze - milky white or clear?

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
I run into a situation every now and again that my e.max glaze comes out looking milky white in areas rather than crystal clear and I can't figure out why.
I am using Ivoclar e.max glaze on both e.max and an occasional Zr crown. I am using it directly out of the syringe and mixing it on my pallet, fresh every time. I do not add any stain and glaze liquid. I typically fire at 770 deg.
most time, all works very well but occasionally it fires with splotches of white that look horrible... unless you are looking for heavy hypo-calcification!
Has anyone seen this before and why?
Thanks.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
emax glaze turns milky white when its too thick. while it works, there are better glazes that dont have this issue.

try switching to InSync glaze by Jensen. fantastic results, works on PFM, emax, FCZ

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
emax glaze turns milky white when its too thick. while it works, there are better glazes that dont have this issue.

try switching to InSync glaze by Jensen. fantastic results, works on PFM, emax, FCZ
Ive actually been looking for an excuse to try InSync... Thanks.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Instructions say to mix it well.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

That's why I quit using their glaze. I've been using Pentron's Universal glaze with good results. Nice tip concerning the InSync glaze.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
I've seen e.max glaze turn milky white if the brush is damp with water.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I do mix it well. do you add any stain /glaze liquid to the glaze paste?

When I used to use it, I would thin it out with their glaze liquid, and would do thinner washes of it and 1-2 more glaze firings to help avoid the puddling and thick areas that would then turn white. I will give Ivoclar Tech support credit for admitting when I called them about this issue, that if it does get applied to thick, or puddles, will turn "white" in those areas.

Last edited:
Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
When I used to use it, I would thin it out with their glaze liquid, and would do thinner washes of it and 1-2 more glaze firings to help avoid the puddling and thick areas that would then turn white. I will give Ivoclar Tech support credit for admitting when I called them about this issue, that if it does get applied to thick, or puddles, will turn "white" in those areas.
Thanks for the info. You were lucky to get that fellow from Ivoclar tech. Most would not give you the truth... or don't know it!

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. You were lucky to get that fellow from Ivoclar tech. Most would not give you the truth... or don't know it!
Ohhh @Patrick Coon.......
Yeah that's it, those darn tech people just have no idea what they are talking about!!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Tech reps are supposed to be omniscient??

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I run into a situation every now and again that my e.max glaze comes out looking milky white in areas rather than crystal clear and I can't figure out why.

Hey Edward

Try the powder version of the e.max glaze: Glaze Powder FLUO

Works much better in that respect. Had the same issue...

Mike

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Both replies about too thick and possible water in the brush are the possible culprits.

When mixing the glaze from the tube, do not add liquid until you have mixed it. If after mixing it for 15-20 seconds, it still holds it's shape, then you can add a little Stain and Glaze Fluid with your instrument from another puddle (please don't add a drop straight to your glaze, as it will always be too much). I then use a flat opaquing brush to apply the glaze. I apply a thin layer of the thick consistency glaze to the restoration and usually get a good glaze in one firing with no white streaks. To clean your brush after applying the glaze, use a little of the glaze fluid on your palette and not water (this will keep the possibility of water contamination to a minimum). If you feel you must use water to clean the brush, ensure it is completely dry before applying the glaze.

Top Bottom