Cheap, easy mill disc for milling models

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
Somebody mill models from cheap maybe not medical discs?
i heard about discs from stone, celulose, etc....
it can be discs for models that you use for fiting testing, or...
Please write what you have.
Now i find only POM disks from dental direct "SampleMill" and PU disks from imes-icore, but i dont know about right strategy for POM...
Please help me with rigid material but with milling easy like WAX :)

Digitaldentist

Digitaldentist

Reaction score
POM mills relatively easy at about 15-20k rpm (just a starting point) Try not to run over 600mm per minute although surface footage is most important and is determined by the specific tooling that you are using, ie. 2 or 4 flute / diameter . POM will Cut well dry and is generally considered free machining. You can cut small part with even wall thickness with relatively good dimensional stability although larger parts can exhibit distortion. Use tools with high clearance angle for chip load And dont use much force during clamping or work holding. Listen to the material cut, it will also give you a good indication of the correct spindle speeds and feed rate.
You may also try pouring your own gypsum or die stone blanks and then mill them directly.

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
somebody mill gypsum or die stone?

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Vazone,
Another material worth exploring is urethane foam. It comes in different densities that vary from soft to very hard. The mid density versions are usually peach or reddish brown color. It mills very nicely and holds crisp detail. Unfortunately, it is typically only available in blocks so you would need a way to cut it into disks. There are several brands on the market around the world but a more common one in North America is RenShape®. You can learn more about it and order a sample pack from this vendor: FreemanSupply.com - Mold Making, Casting Resin, & Foundry Materials

You will also hear it called butter board, tooling board, styling board, ren foam, chemical wood, Sanmudor, etc.

-Glenn

Top Bottom