Charging dentist for printed pictures

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
I often get photos for the cases I do and get them sent through Dropbox. I have to spend the time to log into Dropbox, download each photo, create a folder to store them, then choose the photo and print them since I don't have a computer at all of my benches. For that I charge $3 and try to keep the amount of photos for each case down as much as I can. It is mostly 1 to 2 images per case. Today I got a complaint email from one client that I do not have to print the pictures and charge them for it since they already have the originals. She does not understand that I am the one needing them and I spend quite some time to download, store and print them and I think $3 shouldn't beak the bank. What are you guys do in these situations. Do them all for free? Who is paying me fot the cost if I install computers on each station and have them all networked? I still have to do the download and store them.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
You didn't get the memo? You're suppose to PAY THEM for your time!! Just add it to the cost of the crown and don't itemize it. Or give them a crown with $3 less work into it! Maybe that means not as much glaze or stain. Then if they call to complain, which they will just say "hey you don't want to pay me for the photo's I NEED to make this crown look amazing, I'm giving you a $3 less effort crown!" Then maybe they will shut the F up and not complain!!

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Or do what this fast food worker does until he gets his a$$ kicked!!
[video=youtube_share;_MIQ8No2WZs]http://youtu.be/_MIQ8No2WZs[/video]

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
I often get photos for the cases I do and get them sent through Dropbox. I have to spend the time to log into Dropbox, download each photo, create a folder to store them, then choose the photo and print them since I don't have a computer at all of my benches. For that I charge $3 and try to keep the amount of photos for each case down as much as I can. It is mostly 1 to 2 images per case. Today I got a complaint email from one client that I do not have to print the pictures and charge them for it since they already have the originals. She does not understand that I am the one needing them and I spend quite some time to download, store and print them and I think $3 shouldn't beak the bank. What are you guys do in these situations. Do them all for free? Who is paying me fot the cost if I install computers on each station and have them all networked? I still have to do the download and store them.

I know what you are saying but if they have gone to the effort to take shots and load them onto a computer and then attach each one and email them, so that we can do our job with as much info given to us as possible then I think charging them for printing is a bit much. If they don't take the shots and you don't get all the information written down regarding translucency, shade aging of the tooth and a lot more then they will send it back saying its not right. Print them out and save yourself the hassle of a remake. If it really bugs you then bring out a new price list and put a mark-up on C&B work based on ink, paper, time.........

cumino

cumino

Reaction score
Used to have the same problem, printing photos...but bought a 10" tablet....its fantastic, can just rest it like a book by my workdesk and the quality is excellent
plus you can zoom in to get a better view

M

martintay

Reaction score
i just get them to email my laptop-and i`m pleased they have taken the effort ! The case ends up so much better in the end ! If i just get a shade (ie A3 ) all i can do is match the shade guide - and if i`ve had a photo of them fitted they always look too "clean" because i haven`t stained the cervical or interprox !! or the trans is wrong - a photo is worth a 1000 words IMO.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Cumino's right. Get a tablet with a stand/case. I just started doing this and it's so much better than prints since you can zoom in, etc. I ran into the same situation with prints, but no more! Plus, write off the tab.

M

martintay

Reaction score
Typical example- how would you match colour and surface texture without this ?
mg1.jpg mg2.jpg

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I understand what you mean about multiple benches (multiple employees),but can you afford 1 or 2 cheaper 14" notebooks to be able to move around from a bench or two? You will have to adhere velcro to notebooks, and give the employees velcro gloves to wear when they move it to another bench so they don't drop them :)

Yet, maybe think of it in a marketing way as to ask for better quality images (if their just giving you ~680x450 size) from them so you can see greater detail and "give them better work". The image below is cropped and re-sized to fit the forum, yet you will never get the right color when printing photos, let alone the detail. I know you already know this, so apologies upfront.

Since you use Dropbox (one of my PC can't live without tools) the images could be shared easily on the notebooks. Otherwise, personally, I would forgo any added cost to print the photos, and call it a blessing that you even get something from them to work with, let alone their work in this economy. There are 2-3 things I do that other labs may charge for that I don't, it makes me look better, and I just consider it a write off, cost of doing business. (I am self employed)

ai240.photobucket.com_albums_ff297_car5454_Dental_20Lab_20Forums_photoversespaper.jpg

I know this photo is a bit out of focus, but a lot of days, so am I :)

And now I see while I was composing this, some have suggested a tablet (with a stand)...even better idea!
ai240.photobucket.com_albums_ff297_car5454_Dental_20Lab_20Forums_photoversespaper.jpg

Last edited:
Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
iPad . Don't complain about getting the info. Be thankful the doc trusts you with the case and wants to facilitate you with info to boost esthetics.

Why is it that techs here always forget which way the apple falls from the tree?

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Bought 3 iPad minis. One for the waxing department; one for the Ceramists and one for Removables. Seldom are all three in use at the same time...

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
Typical example- how would you match colour and surface texture without this ?

Matintay- i agree with you 100%
witch brings me to my next point on case like the one documanted above- we would charge doc for a custom shade ($35 per tooth)in conjuction with case- all of our accounts except for 1 or 2 are on board with this fee- they see it as ainsurance policy on the shade and we make afew extra bucks for the day to go with the added time this csae or one like it will take

is this what everyone is doing?

Greg Amendola MDT

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
I am just happy to get the extra information when they send it. I cloud them right to my ipad. Picture quality is great and takes no time at all.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
get on the bus and buy a tablet.. its a no brainer, you can get a decent one for around 200 bucks... Think of all the trees youll save!!

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
get on the bus and buy a tablet.. its a no brainer, you can get a decent one for around 200 bucks... Think of all the trees youll save!!
Yeah couldnt get by with out my IPad anymore.
But whats up with the tree comment ????

I like chop sticks and baseball bats.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
They have an apple store in KY? haha

Printing pictures is not sustainable Al! Arent we all supposed to be going green!? ;)

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
:cool:Get yourself an ipad, I could connect the ipad wirelessly to hd Moniter or you could connect an I pad by using apple av digital adapter and use it with wire to a large hd screen, I do not charge for this at all, I even email back some of my dentists with two digital pictures of the same implant one position with crown on case and the other picture of the crown off the case to show the dentist the position of the access hole for cement retained implant in case he resort to retrieve the implant abutment ( for future reference ,with dr's name, pt. name , implant type and date and tooth#).
It does not take much time but I dazzle the dentist with this option.:cool:
Make sure when taking the two pics not to move case, keep it fixed .

Last edited:
amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
:cool:Get yourself an ipad, I could connect the ipad wirelessly to hd Moniter or you could connect an I pad by using apple av digital adapter and use it with wire to a large hd screen, I do not charge for this at all, I even email back some of my dentists with two digital pictures of the same implant one position with crown on case and the other picture of the crown off the case to show the dentist the position of the access hole for cement retained implant in case he resort to retrieve the implant abutment ( for future reference ,with dr's name, pt. name , implant type and date and tooth#).
It does not take much time but I dazzle the dentist with this option.:cool:
Make sure when taking the two pics not to move case, keep it fixed .

what dont you charge for at all?- working off the custom photos or to email the images to doctor or both?

Scotts studio

Scotts studio

Reaction score
While I appreciate the photos, most of what I do is custom shades so I charge a extra 20.00 per case ( not per unit ) You really need a laptop.