Cataract surgery advice

Restorationlab

Restorationlab

Reaction score
I know this may be a strange posting, but I am soliciting opinions from all quarters. I am facing cataract surgery in both eyes. I have been nearsighted since 9 years old and in the last 15 years have been wearing glasses, now with progressive lenses. I use my natural eyesight for very close up work--6-8 inches.

I must decide what corrective lens to have placed in my eyes. Do I correct for distance and continue to wear glasses for work (plan on working at least 10 + years). Has anyone out there faced this choice? What do you use for magnification at work? I have simple loupes and am considering looking into the more sophisticated magnifiers with mounted light.

I am having trouble imagining my world after this surgery. I like the idea of not needing glasses occasionally for distance, but don't want to compromise my ability to see detail well enough to continue working.

Opinions greatly appreciated.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd go for the distance lens and wear glasses for close up. If you had a magnifying lens implanted, how would you drive?
I wear magnifying loupes over my glasses at work.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
As you get age, and maybe health, related changes in eye musculature or intraocular pressure a distance lens will still let you see well enough. A near proximity lens, maybe not so much.
Ask your "eye-guy". Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, but that's what I'd ask 'em.

Restorationlab

Restorationlab

Reaction score
Distance correction seems to be the norm and what the eye doc is leaning toward. I just want to be sure I don't make the wrong choice and mess up my work. I am used to wearing glasses so that won't be any change. Thanks for the input.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Distance correction seems to be the norm and what the eye doc is leaning toward. I just want to be sure I don't make the wrong choice and mess up my work. I am used to wearing glasses so that won't be any change. Thanks for the input.
Either way you'll be better off and not wearing bi-focals like may of us tooth nerds.