Can I solder a SS Wire to a gold crown?

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
Can I solder a Stainless Steel wire to a gold crown? Using my hydroflux. THis may need to be put in the Crown and Bridge forum.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Can I solder a Stainless Steel wire to a gold crown? Using my hydroflux. THis may need to be put in the Crown and Bridge forum.

As long as it's not done intraorally (ouch!),I don't see why you couldn't. Why do you want to?

C

careywhiteman

Reaction score
Is your hydroflux the same as a hydroflame welder? We used a hydroflame in school and we were told it got up to 6000 degrees F. The melting point of gold is 1947 degrees F. Wouldn't you blow a hole in the gold crown?

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Is your hydroflux the same as a hydroflame welder? We used a hydroflame in school and we were told it got up to 6000 degrees F. The melting point of gold is 1947 degrees F. Wouldn't you blow a hole in the gold crown?
I think the idea is to control the flame to achieve the temp you need. Hence the "art" of soldering.

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score

Cade:

The answer IMHO is yes...just use gold solder..
All of us ortho labs should have some ( gold solder) hidden is a drawer for such an occasion.
You can also use the gold solder to fix jewelry and look like a hero to family and friends!

Regards,
Don

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
@Don That is a great idea! I totally forgot about gold solder.

@careywhiteman I guess that is why mine is called a Hydroflux welder(never thought of the diffrence between the two names before). It mixes a flux in with the hydrogen gas Lowering the temp from 6000 to 4850 (and the BTU's)

@kcdt Yeah, I think I will use one of my smaller tips. and lots of heat shield.

I will try to take a pic when im done, its a pretty interesting case.

Thanks for all yawls input.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Am I the only one with a pile of work right now??

uh...yeah....all the above. For sure, keep a tinsy bit of glod solder around, I've used it twice in 40 years. The hydro flame calls their flux "booster fluid". Bubbles the hydrogen through it.
Mike.