Asking for community assistance in creating a digital denture

H

Holly93

Reaction score
As I am sure many of my fellow old school denturists out there, all the trade magazines seems to be screaming about the miracle of digital dentures.I am getting closer to investing into the equipment needed for a Digital workflow. Before I make any investments I had planned to do a series of analog made dentures vs digital ones, for a side by side comparison. I was planning to start this in a few months, however I just received a case that seems poetic to start this trial a bit earlier.

I have a case pending: full UFD Replacement and LPD one tooth for an aging Holocaust survivor, who has premium dentures paid directly from the German Finance Ministry. I have some time in fabricating premium dentures for the patient, but would also like to create digital ones side by side, both as a comparison, as well as a way to give the patient a second set of dentures.

Initially, I was going to call around for lab to lab quotes to fabricate a baltic denture or something similar. As of yet, I do not have the capability to create an STL FIle, nor do the design work in 3shape or Exocad. I am reaching out to the community to see if anyone would want to hold my hand and help on this project. I'd be glad to post a side by side comparison on the site on my results.

Thank you for everyones consideration!

Holly

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
As I am sure many of my fellow old school denturists out there, all the trade magazines seems to be screaming about the miracle of digital dentures.I am getting closer to investing into the equipment needed for a Digital workflow. Before I make any investments I had planned to do a series of analog made dentures vs digital ones, for a side by side comparison. I was planning to start this in a few months, however I just received a case that seems poetic to start this trial a bit earlier.

I have a case pending: full UFD Replacement and LPD one tooth for an aging Holocaust survivor, who has premium dentures paid directly from the German Finance Ministry. I have some time in fabricating premium dentures for the patient, but would also like to create digital ones side by side, both as a comparison, as well as a way to give the patient a second set of dentures.

Initially, I was going to call around for lab to lab quotes to fabricate a baltic denture or something similar. As of yet, I do not have the capability to create an STL FIle, nor do the design work in 3shape or Exocad. I am reaching out to the community to see if anyone would want to hold my hand and help on this project. I'd be glad to post a side by side comparison on the site on my results.

Holly
Where are you Holly? We all kinda assume someone is in the US, but even that is a pretty big area to get help close enough to matter.

I would also see if any resellers or scanner dealers are near you. You are certainly the type they'd want to schmooze for a future sale and would have an interest in showing you the whizbangyness of their stuff.

H

Holly93

Reaction score
Thanks,
I am in the SF Bay area. There is a local company "carbon", https://www.carbon3d.com. They need an stl file to help me. I suppose I could ask a client to help me create one. Thanks HMN

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
@Mrs.galfriday could you plug your keyboard in here for a second?

Know anyone to help with this endevour in the neighborhood?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
As I am sure many of my fellow old school denturists out there, all the trade magazines seems to be screaming about the miracle of digital dentures.I am getting closer to investing into the equipment needed for a Digital workflow.
As for 3Shape, this is a very active user group:

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
@Mrs.galfriday could you plug your keyboard in here for a second?

Know anyone to help with this endevour in the neighborhood?
Offhand, I do not have any ideas about where to go for stl files. Other than googling or looking through the yellow pages. I will offer a suggestion if one comes up.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
As for 3Shape, this is a very active user group:

Make sure you tell them about us so they leave there and come here.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Make sure you tell them about us so they leave there and come here.
Hey Travis, I realize I might have infringed the forum rules. Feel free to delete the post.

As for the group, I only discovered it last week. I know that Sevan P, an active member here, is a Moderator over there. But I will advertise DLN, if there is an opportunity! Like I have done in the past... ;-)

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
Iam in a sour mood today. Iam trying to get things done with the nice weather and its been nothing but fails. Iam covered in motor oil as I type this. ahhhhhh Wife told me to stay off the pc.

I was just biter about it. 😩 Tomorrow is another day. Its fine........

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

Holly
i dont want to poo-poo the idea you have here....because i applaud you for it!
however,
whats the goal? if you want a side by side comparison between digital dentures and hand crafted premium dentures, theres no comparison. i mean there are some decent options for economy dentures in the digital realm....but a true premium denture that you hand made will blow the doors off anything digital that im aware of on the market. i have a few samples here of digital dentures, and ive seen a few others. they are economy dentures. sometimes they arent even quite making it to the economy line. fast and cheap, thats digital dentures right now.
someone else may jump in and tell me im stupid now though haha!

H

Holly93

Reaction score
i dont want to poo-poo the idea you have here....because i applaud you for it!
however,
whats the goal? if you want a side by side comparison between digital dentures and hand crafted premium dentures, theres no comparison. i mean there are some decent options for economy dentures in the digital realm....but a true premium denture that you hand made will blow the doors off anything digital that im aware of on the market. i have a few samples here of digital dentures, and ive seen a few others. they are economy dentures. sometimes they arent even quite making it to the economy line. fast and cheap, thats digital dentures right now.
someone else may jump in and tell me im stupid now though haha!
Thank you for the feedback. I know the quality is lower for digital stuff. I just had a spur of the moment inkling to have a holocaust survivor go home with a free extra pair of dentures, as well as for me to finally see what this technology looks like.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback. I know the quality is lower for digital stuff. I just had a spur of the moment inkling to have a holocaust survivor go home with a free extra pair of dentures, as well as for me to finally see what this technology looks like.
now that makes sense!

OpalEssence

OpalEssence

Reaction score
Adaptation, adaptation, adaptation... I haven't milled any but I worked a lot the conventional method (You guys here named it handcarfted, whatever...),With the conventional way, acrylic is packed and pressed, by result it flows around the plaster model areas, after heat cure denture will grip the model = firmly adapted. Robotic way won't... it just " transfer the image into a device that just digs into an acrylic blank, there is no interaction ", just a personal view I hope I'm wrong.

H

Holly93

Reaction score
Adaptation, adaptation, adaptation... I haven't milled any but I worked a lot the conventional method (You guys here named it handcarfted, whatever...),With the conventional way, acrylic is packed and pressed, by result it flows around the plaster model areas, after heat cure denture will grip the model = firmly adapted. Robotic way won't... it just " transfer the image into a device that just digs into an acrylic blank, there is no interaction ", just a personal view I hope I'm wrong.

H

Holly93

Reaction score

This company is local to me. Product looks better than most. If i mill up with them I will post the results.....The pressure to have a wax up of the week posted :)

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
With the milled temporary and duplicate dentures I have done the patient's say they are the best fitting dentures they have ever had. Some of them have been wearing dentures 40+ years. If you have accurate impressions/scans hey fit, no question.

H

Holly93

Reaction score
With the milled temporary and duplicate dentures I have done the patient's say they are the best fitting dentures they have ever had. Some of them have been wearing dentures 40+ years. If you have accurate impressions/scans hey fit, no question.
Thanks, If this guy survived the Nazis, I'd like him to be my test trial in a compare and contrast in dentures. What Mill System do you recommend for the end product?