Anyone using Preciso Scanner?

ceram1

ceram1

Reaction score
We updated our Lava-7 to Dental Wings "Lava Edition" to test it before our license is up for renewal. BTW, did you know, fellow Lava 7 users, that you are eligible for this upgrade at no charge prior to the expiration of your current license term? We accidentally found that out and decided to try it out. We also have Exocad (not Precisocad) so I have a comparison. The compelling component to the DWOS "Lava Edition" vs Presisocad is the ability to import margin-marked True Definition intraoral scans (not available other than raw STL on Precisocad) as well as other third-party intraoral scanners; Straumann Cares at no additional charge other than scan bodies which is access to Straumann certified and warrantied prosthetic solutions (not available on Precisocad),and the partnership with Atlantis as we are an Elite Lab and downloading core files are extremely important. All of these things are very important to us and Precisocad has no solution.

The best I was told is there is a "place reserved along the top" for importing True Definition scans with no date for launching. I have been told Atlantis talks are in the works with Precisocad but currently nothing in the near future. I tried importing the raw STL and it is just not workable if it hasn't gone through the 3M margin marking process.
Additionally, with the DWOS Lava Edition, you can have multiple work stations with one license (as long as not working simultaneously);
No new software or loss of existing cases - - it is just an update;
Includes the FCZ wizard with multiple anatomy libraries from which to choose, unlike Precisocad;
No ULDC file restrictions -- import ULDC and export ULDC;
it is compatible with the add-on DWOS model builder -- although I do not have first-hand experience with this;
the additional modules are available now, unlike precisocad.

I am trying all of these features out and so far am happy. The license renewal, if I choose DWOS Lava Edition, is essentially the same price as the migration to Precisocad.

As a comparison, for just the design function, I still favor Exocad; however, if comparing PRECISOCAD (the stripped down exocad) and the DWOS Lava Edition, DWOS is much more robust and has many more features which is compelling when looking at the renewal price and all of the functionality.

Oh, one other. Dental Wings owns the DHS dental hub through which Lava 7 cases have been submitted from design center to milling center. This no longer works with precisocad, but it is functioning just fine with DWOS Lava Edition from users still on Lava 7. That isn't such a big deal to me, but it has been a source of irritation to my design centers who made the Preciso migration.

All things to consider when time for renewal.
Thanks for the informative post. We were thinking of contacting dwos for details today but ran out of time. My current license expires in 87 days but I paid Jensen to extend this for I believe a year... I wonder how this will effect the "deal". We have preciso but it is not yet our prefered software, we still need more time with it. And as you have mentioned they just have not forged the partnerships yet. What will the license fee for dw be once it is time to renew?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

dswilliams

dswilliams

Reaction score
I don't know that there is a firm number from Jensen. The information I get from my rep is not always consistent with the information provided to my peers in other territories from their respective Jensen reps, nor is that messaging consistent relative to when Precisocad modules are available, etc. For example, when I asked if Precisocad allowed for importing 3M True Definition intraoral scans, my rep said -- and I quote -- "There is a tab for that at the top." What she didn't share was that it wasn't enabled and no deal yet struck for when it would be! Who knew I needed to clarify THAT?

I was quoted $1500 from DWOS to migrate to the "Lava Edition" and was quoted roughly the same from Jensen to migrate to Precisocad, approximately $1300 for the migration and $200 for the scanner dongle fee. Like Bob referenced earlier, I would caution anyone to be very leery of going with a system that is not fully open or is stripped down/features disabled. There are just too many systems on the market that are truly open. I am really happy with my Exocad (NOT Precisocad) system, but there is a lot to consider when you are given a reduced rate at renewal time. (What are you giving up for that price?)

Another thing I would caution anyone that is being pressured into a renewal is to check your system to see when your license truly expires. One may actually have more time than they think on making that decision.

Do your homework!

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
We updated our Lava-7 to Dental Wings "Lava Edition" to test it before our license is up for renewal. BTW, did you know, fellow Lava 7 users, that you are eligible for this upgrade at no charge prior to the expiration of your current license term? We accidentally found that out and decided to try it out. We also have Exocad (not Precisocad) so I have a comparison. The compelling component to the DWOS "Lava Edition" vs Presisocad is the ability to import margin-marked True Definition intraoral scans (not available other than raw STL on Precisocad) as well as other third-party intraoral scanners; Straumann Cares at no additional charge other than scan bodies which is access to Straumann certified and warrantied prosthetic solutions (not available on Precisocad),and the partnership with Atlantis as we are an Elite Lab and downloading core files are extremely important. All of these things are very important to us and Precisocad has no solution.

The best I was told is there is a "place reserved along the top" for importing True Definition scans with no date for launching. I have been told Atlantis talks are in the works with Precisocad but currently nothing in the near future. I tried importing the raw STL and it is just not workable if it hasn't gone through the 3M margin marking process.
Additionally, with the DWOS Lava Edition, you can have multiple work stations with one license (as long as not working simultaneously);
No new software or loss of existing cases - - it is just an update;
Includes the FCZ wizard with multiple anatomy libraries from which to choose, unlike Precisocad;
No ULDC file restrictions -- import ULDC and export ULDC;
it is compatible with the add-on DWOS model builder -- although I do not have first-hand experience with this;
the additional modules are available now, unlike precisocad.

I am trying all of these features out and so far am happy. The license renewal, if I choose DWOS Lava Edition, is essentially the same price as the migration to Precisocad.

As a comparison, for just the design function, I still favor Exocad;

exocad (and I even bet PrecisoCAD) can clean the Docs scan data with the optional http://exocad.com/our-products/#/dental-cad/addon-module/model-creator module jah'know...

We use Rhino and DentalShaper for years to do this as another option. Both are replacement for the 3M Margin marking stuff.

You ready yet for sum3d, or what? We are using the same CAM for all our Lava mills to also mill bars and surgical guides on a 5-axis Haas. It is a great investment (CAM software) to apply to any/all decent CNC mills.

Scott.

dswilliams

dswilliams

Reaction score
That is good stuff indeed, Scott. I wasn't making a case necessarily for either and that wasn't my point; rather I was suggesting to those existing Lava 7 users -- and more specifically design centers -- that think they have to go with Precisocad when their license expires (which is a high-pressure sale from the reps) that indeed there are other choices out there and don't get sucked in on price alone.

ceram1

ceram1

Reaction score
I don't know that there is a firm number from Jensen. The information I get from my rep is not always consistent with the information provided to my peers in other territories from their respective Jensen reps, nor is that messaging consistent relative to when Precisocad modules are available, etc. For example, when I asked if Precisocad allowed for importing 3M True Definition intraoral scans, my rep said -- and I quote -- "There is a tab for that at the top." What she didn't share was that it wasn't enabled and no deal yet struck for when it would be! Who knew I needed to clarify THAT?

I was quoted $1500 from DWOS to migrate to the "Lava Edition" and was quoted roughly the same from Jensen to migrate to Precisocad, approximately $1300 for the migration and $200 for the scanner dongle fee. Like Bob referenced earlier, I would caution anyone to be very leery of going with a system that is not fully open or is stripped down/features disabled. There are just too many systems on the market that are truly open. I am really happy with my Exocad (NOT Precisocad) system, but there is a lot to consider when you are given a reduced rate at renewal time. (What are you giving up for that price?)

Another thing I would caution anyone that is being pressured into a renewal is to check your system to see when your license truly expires. One may actually have more time than they think on making that decision.

Do your homework!
I agree, the ability to import the true def stl is not even close to working with the uldc. file that is edited with all the proper tools. So what are your thoughts on 80 a month out of the blue to continue on with the lava margin software. That was out of the blue for me at least. Im not over whelmed with the efficiency of yhat software and we did pay for it. Im so happy we can be forced to subsidize their lack of sales. All of my true def customers were already c.o.s. customers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

dswilliams

dswilliams

Reaction score
Yes. That is ridiculous. I have been a CMML since the COS was originally launched -- which was a super colossal failure back then. The new charge goes into effect the first of 2014 and quite frankly, I'm not even sure that I will continue with it. I find it amusing to get to pay for the ability to mark margins. This certainly cannot help sales if there is any desire for support from the lab community, imho.

ceram1

ceram1

Reaction score
exocad (and I even bet PrecisoCAD) can clean the Docs scan data with the optional http://exocad.com/our-products/#/dental-cad/addon-module/model-creator module jah'know...

We use Rhino and DentalShaper for years to do this as another option. Both are replacement for the 3M Margin marking stuff.

You ready yet for sum3d, or what? We are using the same CAM for all our Lava mills to also mill bars and surgical guides on a 5-axis Haas. It is a great investment (CAM software) to apply to any/all decent CNC mills.

Scott.
The only thing I think we would miss is the ability the software has to superimpose the image of the live view onto the stl. Without this I am not sure how we would accurately mark 1/3 of the cases we receive.

Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
Well Ive got both, and shes right about the high pressure sales pitch. My Lava7 license is good till Mar2014. Probably should upgrade it, anyone have a #, if its free why not.

Although, I really like Exocad even Jensens version. I had to upgrade either LV7 or Exocad so I chose Exocad, to learn it. It does all I need and it sure seems to be leading the way on the CAD side of things. The add scan feature missing from LV7 has proven very handy. Bridge design so much easier as is scanning wax-ups (FZR under partials),export in .stl now so I can use any milling center. I scan alot of implant abutments for crowns, Exocads method of using the multiplate die and alignment tools (Steinbichler scanner) is hands down better than LV7.

I will be, however looking at a full blown version of Exocad in the later half of 2014.