Anyone do the new digital cdt certification yet?

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Just wondering any info on it, as I’m looking into going for it. The outline of needed skills on the site is a bit vague, and doesn’t mention what software the test uses for designing, or what softwares you’re expected to know for the cam, the 3d printing, the surgical guides, or anything. It also says you need to know how to do maintenance on furnaces, printers, scanners, mills, but once again doesn’t say if they want knowledge on a specific brand, or if all the questions are just generalized stuff. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Easiest way to own a lab in some states..

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Why would you need this?
For me personally it’s just for the sake of having it. First lab I ever got into like half the people there had their CDT, and I got thrown strait into digital, so I was bummed for like a solid year I didn’t really have a clear path to get my CDT. So I was pretty stoked to find out they were doing a digital certification, even though I know it’ll probably make no major difference on my career. Plus I don’t think it’s a bad idea to have some form of standardized testing to show that you at least have somewhat of an idea of what you’re talking about. That being said though, I’ve certainly met people with their cdt that don’t give a crap, and I’ve met amazing techs that don’t have their cdt, so it’s not a guaranteed way of showing somebody cares about their career, but it’s not a bad indicator either.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
If you care about this profession you should get it, its a personal achievement, and in this industry you have to take whatever success you can get, because youre only as good as your last case.
Just make sure you get your lab to pay for it and the expenses! Then its a no-brainer.. seriously, you dont need a brain to pass that test. The NBC sells you the study material, and lists all the resources that the test is drawn from. Its a good indicator of where youre at as a tech like you said. Youre either going forward on your path, or a step technician doomed to a life of repetitive tasks.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
If you care about this profession you should get it, its a personal achievement, and in this industry you have to take whatever success you can get, because youre only as good as your last case.
Just make sure you get your lab to pay for it and the expenses! Then it’s a no-brainer.. seriously, you dont need a brain to pass that test. The NBC sells you the study material, and lists all the resources that the test is drawn from. It’s a good indicator of where youre at as a tech like you said. Youre either going forward on your path, or a step technician doomed to a life of repetitive tasks.
I was worried based on mmbh response I was about to be told by everyone it was a pointless endeavor and not needed lol. But I think you’re spot on, it’s a personal achievement, and we gotta take whatever we can get. I appreciate the input!

M

mmbh

Reaction score
I see. I have heard some states may require it. Not here. If you want to get it because you think you need it more power to you, go for it. Not one Doc has ever asked me in 27 years. I personally don't think its as big of a deal as maybe it used to be, but that's just me.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
I did it back in November. Its pretty straight forward. Most of the questions are universal and you do need to know specific software although I felt it skewed a little to 3shape. I've never used 3shape but I was able to get through it fine

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Let me guess, the NBC says CDTs make more money? This is simply not true, I let my CDT lapse 20 years ago, and Ive never made more money in my career than I do now, and its true, Drs dont even know it exists. Hustle earns money, letters make you feel good about yourself.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Im sorry, but I have to say that making digital design a certifiable designation shows the state of our industry, not to negate anyone that has it or is thinking about it, but this is not the same as the practical exam in dentures, c&b, ortho.. this is mouse clicking.. the software does the work. 'Maintaining digital equipment' is called cleaning. 'Updating a 3shape dongle", really?
Any cerec dental assistant an achieve this status.. it requires no handwork. Someone who has done both, correct me if im wrong. Again, Im not saying there isnt a wealth of knowledge in digital dentistry, its just not the same.. and Im not saying I could pass it without studying.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
even though I know it’ll probably make no major difference on my career.

having a piece of paper simply for the sake of having the piece of paper is a big reason academia is in the crapper today. If this will not further your career and knowledge then why do it ? If it WILL help your career then go for it… I guess you have to be the judge of that.

For what it’s worth I’ve never had a dentist, assistant, or fellow tech ask me if I have a cdt or rg. Though I have had several techs tell me their cdt was a total waste of time. In my experience your judged based on the work you can do, not any amount of paper you have in a frame.

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
Until regulators (FDA/ADA/???) mandate that the work be done by CDT's you will continue to see the CDT devalued. Its unfortunate IMO.

A license is required to sell insurance but in some states anyone can make a medical device!?!?