ancient Egypt

bonded

bonded

Reaction score
The earliest evidence of ancient dentistry we have is an amazingly detailed dental work on a mummy from ancient Egypt that archaeologists have dated to 2000 BCE

"]tinypic.com/r/25gt81s/6[/IMG][/URL]
ai45.tinypic.com_25gt81s.jpg
<a href="http://tinypic.com?ref=25gt81s

Last edited:
corona

corona

Reaction score
what a great pic!!! nice work where did you get that pic from ??

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
agreed w corona........links etc? very cool stuff!

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Hey Bonded, like the other guys have said can we have some more info please, this is sooooooooooo cool.

Many thanks Pete

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Thats better then some of the stuff i see now! lol Awesome!

bonded

bonded

Reaction score
hello every one yes i agree its cool stuff , just type in google image " dental ancient Egypt " and you can see so many links

Dental jewelry found on ancient mummies

ai50.tinypic.com_v6kgtk.jpg

Last edited:
cheadlemick

cheadlemick

Reaction score
Ooh! that will look great in my next presentation!

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
amazing.
lol.. thats better work than ive seen around here in a while. :D

The earliest evidence of ancient dentistry we have is an amazingly detailed dental work on a mummy from ancient Egypt that archaeologists have dated to 2000 BCE

"]tinypic.com/r/25gt81s/6[/IMG][/URL]
<a onclick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Outgoing', 'tinypic.com?ref=25gt81s[', '/QUOTE]___]]']);" href="http://tinypic.com?ref=25gt81s

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score

Damn thing stayed in place for 4 thousand years and I've had acid etched bridges come loose in a month.....

Badgerdental

Badgerdental

Reaction score
hello every one yes i agree its cool stuff , just type in google image " dental ancient Egypt " and you can see so many links

Dental jewelry found on ancient mummies

crazy wear facets, like they were chewing on sand sideways

T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
The "wear facets" are likely intentional reshaping of the teeth. The "peg" pattern of the centrals is commonly referred to as "notching" and is still practiced in several regios of africa...
Many cultures around the world have practiced and some still practice similar modifications.
abonesdontlie.files.wordpress.com_2012_03_dental_modification1efa00bd77b10ee209fadc9b5f609ad49.jpg
images

awww.jeffshea.com_photos_large_CAR_PygmyWomanWithSharpenedTeeth_2000_CU2.jpg
at3_gstatic_com_images_0381afa5f4d0dfb638c1d804486306d9._.jpg
abonesdontlie.files.wordpress.com_2012_03_dental_modification1efa00bd77b10ee209fadc9b5f609ad49.jpg awww.jeffshea.com_photos_large_CAR_PygmyWomanWithSharpenedTeeth_2000_CU2.jpg at3_gstatic_com_images_0381afa5f4d0dfb638c1d804486306d9._.jpg

Badgerdental

Badgerdental

Reaction score
The "wear facets" are likely intentional reshaping of the teeth. The "peg" pattern of the centrals is commonly referred to as "notching" and is still practiced in several regios of africa...
Many cultures around the world have practiced and some still practice similar modifications.
abonesdontlie.files.wordpress.com_2012_03_dental_modification1efa00bd77b10ee209fadc9b5f609ad49.jpg
images

awww.jeffshea.com_photos_large_CAR_PygmyWomanWithSharpenedTeeth_2000_CU2.jpg
at3_gstatic_com_images_0381afa5f4d0dfb638c1d804486306d9._.jpg

OOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Was there some ancient form of Anasthesia available?
abonesdontlie.files.wordpress.com_2012_03_dental_modification1efa00bd77b10ee209fadc9b5f609ad49.jpg awww.jeffshea.com_photos_large_CAR_PygmyWomanWithSharpenedTeeth_2000_CU2.jpg at3_gstatic_com_images_0381afa5f4d0dfb638c1d804486306d9._.jpg

T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
well in indonesia the Mentawai first chisel the rough shape of the teeth...then file the edges smooth. Anesthetic? they bite the peels of green bananas periodically during the procedure to dull the sharpness of the sensation. The Baka Pygmies use a similar procedure but after cover the teeth in a paste made from the skins of plantains for several days to allow the teeth coverage during the initial healing.

I would like to mention that the jeweled example bonded presented is not egyptian, african, polynesian, nor malaysian....much closer to home...Thats 9th century Mayan dentistry.

To an observer, particularly a westerner, the procedure would appear torturous and perhaps abusive....but soon after the work is complete the subjects elation becomes apparent. These are a rights of passage in most of the cultures that practice it.

Its hard to understand such things when you come from a culture that views a drivers license at 16, going to a strip club on your 18th and getting plastered on your 21st birthdays are rights of passage. I had considered linking video of such a filing being performed....but decided against it....Id rather not put myself in the position of defending others cultural practices here. If you're truly curious you can find videos pretty easily.

Last edited:
Badgerdental

Badgerdental

Reaction score
well in indonesia the Mentawai first chisel the rough shape of the teeth...then file the edges smooth. Anesthetic? they bite the peels of green bananas periodically during the procedure to dull the sharpness of the sensation. The Baka Pygmies use a similar procedure but after cover the teeth in a paste made from the skins of plantains for several days to allow the teeth coverage during the initial healing.

I would like to mention that the jeweled example bonded presented is not egyptian, african, polynesian, nor malaysian....much closer to home...Thats 9th century Mayan dentistry.

To an observer, particularly a westerner, the procedure would appear torturous and perhaps abusive....but soon after the work is complete the subjects elation becomes apparent. These are a rights of passage in most of the cultures that practice it.

Its hard to understand such things when you come from a culture that views a drivers license at 16, going to a strip club on your 18th and getting plastered on your 21st birthdays are rights of passage. I had considered linking video of such a filing being performed....but decided against it....Id rather not put myself in the position of defending others cultural practices here. If you're truly curious you can find videos pretty easily.

Very educational, very interesting, thanks for posting this

M

Marek71

Reaction score
I do like this info story. Thank you. Its always time enough to get more educated.

Top Bottom