Allergic Reactions

C

cosmicsport

Reaction score
I have a Dr. who preped a full mouth case but he found out the patient is allergic to all kinds of materials. We sent him samples of Emax, Empress, Zirconia but the only material the Patient seems to allow is Composite... Are there any material you know that we can use instead ??

Thanks

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Their is different types of allergies.....I wonder if the patient is reacting (per he/she's senses - touch, feel, taste, etc.) or whether the patients body is reacting to the materials independently. This makes a difference because you could do a metal coping but put composite on it, kind of like a PFM but composite resin rather porcelain. That way the patient can only sense the composite versus the metal, might be something to try.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
While patch tests for contact dermatitus is a well known and accepted study for MAJOR allergic reactions, it is NOT all inclusive, nor able to detect systematic reactions ot ionic reactions to dental materials.

It is my uneducated opinion that most sentitivities to dental materials are psychological in nature, however, there are some people who are seriously reactive to foreign substances. The founder of Bananna Boat sun products was one of those people and actually had to live in a pressurized bubble in the desert. He's not crazy as I suspected when I first heard about him.

At any rate, there are three outfits that are pretty well versed in these cases. One of them is totally rogue. It was founded by Hal Huggins DDS, who was stripped of his license and moved to Mexico. He has a testing facility called the Huggins Diagnostic Institute and he claims to cure all kinds of afflictions with holistic dentistry.

Next is Sam Ziff, author of the book Toxic Timebomb, and an authority on mercury and other materials.

Last by not least is Clifford (formerly associated with Huggins) who does a comprehenive work up on these patients and issues a detailed report of materials which may affect an individual patient based on chemical analysis and blood screening. I have worked with them for years and I get a lot of work from their clients. Some of my "celebrity" patients came from them. Their reports look like this:

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0002.jpg

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0001.jpg

Having a ton of experience in this area (see my other posts on related subjects here) I would advise taking cases like this with a certain amount of caution. There is a certain "celebrity" patient (most recently a well known lawman :rolleyes:) whom I have been married to for years, doing, redoing, redoing again, and again and again, and even being asked to provide detailed documentation for his attorney. All over a three unit bridge!

Once the dentist gets tired of their unending questions about materials, they will give the patient your number, and now YOU are in the vortex...Some of these patients are really OUT THERE, so avoid being sucked into their psychosis.

You might want to refer them to Clifford. Just a little advice FWIW.
ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0002.jpg ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0001.jpg

Last edited: