alginate impressions

jimi

jimi

Reaction score
when you take an alginate impression with custom tray, do you use alginate adhesive? Why or why not? If yes, is it spray on or paint on?

T

twaite

Reaction score
If it has holes you don't have to have adhesive. But it's better to have both holes and adhesive. Either spray on or paint on is good.

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
I always put holes in my trays, and I use the teledyne spray. It is super sticky and IMO is the best way to keep the impression from lifting.

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
Use Accu-Dent system 1 and you won't need to be making custom trays.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
In school here, Alginate is not a mucostatic impression material. It is classed as mucodisplasive. That is, it displaces the tissues too much to consider it for a final impression. Borders become overextended easily without a lot of attention and care. Polyvinyl siloxanes are the final impression materials we use. They are one of the few really mucostatic impression materials. Using Aquasil heavy for border molding and medium for wash. If necessary use a light body for final wash all with a custom tray. The custom tray can be form fitted or selective pressure tray with a wax spacer for border molding and removng the wax spacer for the final impression. The best advantage of using vinyl siloxane for impressions is that the impression survives the pull off and you can use it to map out some pressure spots during insertion.Cheers and take care...

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
I think you will find the real world a bit different than the ivory towers...............
You can read more about the Accu-Dent systems HERE
The key to stable mandibular dentures is in the myostatic outline.........

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I think you will find the real world a bit different than the ivory towers...............

You might be quite right about living in an ivory tower....Just starting my practicum in a week so should be interesting to say the least....I have been told by my preceptor to stick with techniques I already know and am familiar with so that is a blessing. For now I will be using aquasil for finals with custom form fitted trays. Wont dabble with the selective loaded tray for a while....
But thanks for the heads up .

Last edited:
Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
You are quite right about sticking to what you now for your finals. There is enough stress at that time without dealing with something new and unproven to you...
You will only have to stroke their egos for a little while longer....:puke:2

After that you will be amazed at how much crap you can discard.
Hang in there, you'll do fine.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Again the idea behind aquasil system is that the different colors allow one to identify pressure spots during the process. We are taught here that 80 percent of sores are caused by occlusal dysharmonies rather than ill fitting dentures. We keep the original final impressions to compare two things. One the thickness of the final border after polishing, and two to identify suspected pressure spots. We only relive the pressure spots if it can be verified with indicating paste and it is identified on the final impression. that only makes sense. With alginate impressions you never have that luxury of retaining the impression to compare afterwards. Take Care...60 year old student...ha ha ha.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score

Respectfully disagree. The best retention on a mandibular denture is in the properly extended retromylohyoid extensions with a suitable path of insertion. It takes a bit longer to get the impressions in that area but serves the patient well in the long run.

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
You might get surprised at how often and how fast patients demand the retromylohyoid and retro molar pad areas removed from a lower denture.
Accudent is a very proven way of taking impressions, and rarely has pressure spots. Following the myostatic outline gives stability on the worst mandibles.

Mucostatic vs mucocompressive is debatable, I have always tried to think of what the tissue is doing under load. Have you ever taken an impression with a light bodied material and found all sorts of folded tissue? Then with a heavy body they are all gone? How do you think that same tissue is going to sit under that denture when the denture is mashing down on a double whopper with cheese?

I'm not saying change what you are doing, but keep an open mind because there are always going to be more effective ways to get results and some patients will require you to think outside the box (those are your practice builders)

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Am in agreement with keeping an open mind. Sometimes silicon is not useable. Perhaps future experience will teach me which to use appropriately. Appreciate your comments....very much....take care...60 year old beginner.

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
Now that you are out of the sacred hall's you will find your education has just begun...........

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
You might get surprised at how often and how fast patients demand the retromylohyoid and retro molar pad areas removed from a lower denture.
Accudent is a very proven way of taking impressions, and rarely has pressure spots. Following the myostatic outline gives stability on the worst mandibles.

Mucostatic vs mucocompressive is debatable, I have always tried to think of what the tissue is doing under load. Have you ever taken an impression with a light bodied material and found all sorts of folded tissue? Then with a heavy body they are all gone? How do you think that same tissue is going to sit under that denture when the denture is mashing down on a double whopper with cheese?

I'm not saying change what you are doing, but keep an open mind because there are always going to be more effective ways to get results and some patients will require you to think outside the box (those are your practice builders)
Well now with a bit more experience now that school is over and so is practicum. Learned a lot....made a few mistakes and learned from them too....I purchased a complete set of accudent trays and intend on using them for preliminary impressions. Also bought a nice set of ASA composite trays for edentulous patients. I tried the Dr. Massad trays on my practicum and really liked them but they are disposable so I bought a closely matching set of composite autoclavable trays. Still really like the custom trays for finals though. I am doing my custom trays with Light cure and they are turning out quite well. Either silicone for finals or Hydrogum 5 or Tropicalgin for finals as alginate is good for me. Are you talking about a wash impression with light body? Usually I will do three layers. One in a heavier set, one in medium or light set and a final one in ultralight under lots of pressure. I guess whatever works hey? Anyways I appreciate all the comments and postings int the meantime take care and keep well.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Now that you are out of the sacred hall's you will find your education has just begun...........
Having finished practicum and graduated you are quite right.....But I guess that is to be expected....I remember training several electronics techs from Tech school...I basically told them the same thing...Funny how history has a tendency of repeating itself....Take care and keep well....

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
74964_1_x_280xjpg098653.tif.jpg These normal plastik spoon is not fit against deformation and the small wholes didnt fix the material 100 % the best is using rim lock they have groove around the spoon where the alginat is fixed against solve out and although against deformation ( Metall ) . If your Patient opens the mouth you get espacially in the lower jaw a deformation and the adhesion between teeth and alginat will kick out the alginat sometimes in the molar region , so you put your fingers at the margin of the impression to prevent it there for the groove same funktion.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Having finished practicum and graduated you are quite right.....But I guess that is to be expected....I remember training several electronics techs from Tech school...I basically told them the same thing...Funny how history has a tendency of repeating itself....Take care and keep well....
Wondering if I should change my profile name to denturist grad....ha ha ha.....mind you we never stop learning so will just as well keep it.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score

Do you think it may be possible to use neocolloid as an injected layer with something like hydrogum 5 over top using the accugel trays? I have also used blue print because I get a nice lingual roll on the primary impressions....blue print was introduced by my preceptor and I had really good luck with it for prelims.....but definitely want something better for an alginate final impression for rpds......also bought a neat little thing called an algisyr which is a nice cleanable alginate syringe...Great Lakes Ortho has them if you are interested. take care and keep well.....no longer student but never stop learning.