Acrylic Casting Pressure?

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Nice to see that it's possible to retrieve measurable data for the different processes. I wonder though if there's compatible evidence as to dimensionable accuracy in the impression recording process - this can pick up on tissue compressibility as well as the materials used in the construction of the dentures.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Volume 22, Issue 4, Pages 400-413 (October 1969)

Analysis of pressures produced during maxillary edentulous impression procedures

Richard P. Frank, D.D.S., M.S.D.*1

Abstract

A method for measuring pressures produced during edentulous impression procedures has been described. An oral analogue was constructed, and an electric motor was used to carry loaded impression trays to place to minimize variables. Impressions of the analogue were then made by dentists in a clinical manner to establish the validity of the laboratory results. The influence of several impression materials and tray modifications upon these pressures was determined.

Obviously a little dated, but still. I'll give it a read and throw it out for discussion.

P.S. if you're interested in reading it yourself, private message me your email and I'll sent is over. I cannot post the text here as that violates copywrite, and I don't think it's even possible to attach a PDF on a forum post anyway.

Last edited:
araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
1969 ! wow - was silicone in use then?
I guess the factors would be the same no matter what material was used. It'll be interesting to see if there's a relation with the measurements in the denture polymerisation discrepancies that would counter the effects of the imp' process. There could be a difference between male and female operators, and between lefties and righties. I can often see when the work coming into the lab has been carried out by a leftie - strange but true.
(PM'd)

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
1969 ! wow - was silicone in use then?
I guess the factors would be the same no matter what material was used. It'll be interesting to see if there's a relation with the measurements in the denture polymerisation discrepancies that would counter the effects of the imp' process. There could be a difference between male and female operators, and between lefties and righties. I can often see when the work coming into the lab has been carried out by a leftie - strange but true.
(PM'd)

What would the difference between the male and female operators be ? :)

Michelle

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Look out here comes trouble:)

Not if he says the quality of the female made denture is better! ;-)
Somehow i think he'll say the dentures look more emotional though ;-0

Michelle

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
What would the difference between the male and female operators be ? :)

Michelle

:D not specific and consistent, but there's more chance of the guys pressing the trays into the tissues, displacing the trays, overloading or more positive trimming. The girls will be more careful in general but not always. Trays may be overpressed on one side of the mouth , wax will be cut more methodically, information is usually more detailed and clear, and handwriting is usually clearer. Lots of little things really but there does seem to be a noticable difference between the sexes. Similarly you'll see differences btween the newly qualified operators and the wise heads, and you'll definitely see who doesn't like to work in prosthetics.