A "reassuring" letter from Straumann

• Thread starter Brett Hansen CDT
  • Start date
Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Obviously its very disappointing that another "partner" has decided to sidestep our involvement and try and spin their plans, then try and milk us for a little while longer.

Anyone that continues to buy their products in my opinion is a fool. My opinion matters to my account base, as well as many of you to yours. I suggest you take the time to educate your clients on their vast choices of implant fixtures out in the market. Remember its their choice which surgeon they send their referrals to and which surgeons preference on the type of fixture can be dictated.

I will now go out of my way to say nothing positive about Straumann. I do not need them, 3rd party parts and cad cam via nobel is way more cost effective and advantageous to me and "MY PARTNERS"

The realization that we are really not part of this glorious TEAM APPROACH to dentistry that many of these tier one implant companies have been touting for years just leaves a very nasty bitter taste in my mouth!

Ahhh, but how else can you get a free (or actually we paid them) sales force for your products? Now the ground work is laid!

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
What's your take on all of us sending out letters to all of our Strauman users and surgeons?
We could inform them that Strauman no longer has any interest in the dental lab or dental technicians. They are cutting the lab out of the work flow for simple cases and as a result, we will no longer support restorations on Strauman implants. Or perhaps give them 3-6 months so we don't leave them hanging with implants already placed.
Ask the dentists to strongly consider changing implant companies. Make a recommendation to change over to Nobel or whomever. In fact I believe we could get other companies to give the Strauman docs some special offer to get them over the costs associated with making the switch. All the major implants work well, come with similar warranty and most cost less.
Just wondering as a group how strong we are. I think this could have measurable impact on Strauman sales if enough of us buy in. I know I have many docs that would likely change implants rather than searching for another lab do there cases.
I guess, Strauman (really doesn't) Care.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I like your idea Bob, but my lab isn't big enough pull off a maneuver like this in our area. I do plan on contacting my Nobel rep and see if there is some way we could work together to get more of the surgeons in our area to switch implants.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I like your idea Bob, but my lab isn't big enough pull off a maneuver like this in our area. I do plan on contacting my Nobel rep and see if there is some way we could work together to get more of the surgeons in our area to switch implants.

If many of us do this I think it will have an impact. I think we should contact Nobel and run some programs.
Come on guys, who else?

Last edited:
Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Bob, I'm afraid Brett is right. Taking our perception of this to the docs would amount to advertising for straumann. Working with other companies and reps to get them to switch to Nobel or others would remove them from our business model. Don't forget, Straumann does some of Nobel's work now too, unless I'm mistaken.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
If anyone has a Stauman scanner and wants to upgrade to a 3Shape fully open architect system we are now giving a $5000 trade in allowance.
You can reach us at 877-977-7889

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I Just spoke with one of our big Strauman users. Its two pros guys with a surgeon associate in the office. He was surprised. I started discussing moving to a different implant company and he was open to it. We are going to revisit it after I make a contact with Biomet and Nobel and he is going to talk with the associate about making a change:)

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
If anyone has a Stauman scanner and wants to upgrade to a 3Shape fully open architect system we are now giving a $5000 trade in allowance.
You can reach us at 877-977-7889

this is Awesome!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I Just spoke with one of our big Strauman users. Its two pros guys with a surgeon associate in the office. He was surprised. I started discussing moving to a different implant company and he was open to it. We are going to revisit it after I make a contact with Biomet and Nobel and he is going to talk with the associate about making a change:)

High 5 Bob!

I am going to work on the same thing. I bet I could get free surgical kits to heavy hitters to do an inventory switch out. I have some east coat guys and guys in the desert out here that I am going after. I am sick of bending over and just taking it.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Bob, have you commented about this on Linked In ?

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
I'd be careful about sending all clients to switch to only one company like Nobel Biocare and Atlantis (Dentsply). They may go the same direction as Straumann. Maybe try pushing the smaller implant companies would be best.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
We have all the tools you need to make your own Straumann compatible abutments and bars.

(exoCAD, and CAD library, and scan markers made out of titanium with the best tolorances.)

Who needs them. (straumann)

Contact me of you are interested in fighting fire with fire.

Scott

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I'd be careful about sending all clients to switch to only one company like Nobel Biocare and Atlantis (Dentsply). They may go the same direction as Straumann. Maybe try pushing the smaller implant companies would be best.
Makes sense, we been seeing more Keystone implants lately. Liking the system.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Bob i think you should stay away from directing them to one implant company. Maybe list a few that you speak to about the idea of a promotion rate. Remember that Any of these companies have the potential to turn around and do the same.

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
I think you guys have gone a bit wild on this one.

My brother does a lot of work with Straumann. Yeah we're a bit ticked that they don't have a screw retained hybrid solution, the scanner leaves a bit to be desired, and mental wings open sucks for full contour design and well pretty much everything imho....

But we get great service from them and we have a great rep that has funneled him a lot of business.

I mean if you have good relations with your accounts...what's to worry about?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Our rep quit a couple of months ago.

Now I know why.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score

Technology is so dynamic that we all have to be alert to these changes. The large players with the "deep pockets" will always have an advantage, ie. R&D, marketing, machinery, etc. They are aggressively forming alignments with other players to seize an increasing share of the dental marketplace. For example, Straumann owns 48% of Dental Wings and 3M owns 37% of it. I'm pretty sure you will see even more 3M materials offered through Straumann very soon. At the moment I can't imagine a positive outcome for some of the 3M milling centers...although I think personal service and quality will always trump production for some.

And now 3M's new intraoral scanner is hooking up with E4D milling units.

I think you will see 3Shape align itself in the near future with some larger dental providers to promote themselves as well as the companies they align with. It costs so much to succeed in the techno environment that these liasons are almost a necessity.
As a small lab, you pretty much have to pick and choose from those who are leaders in this industry and ride that horse as long as you can. It's not about revenge...it's about adapting.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
I think you guys have gone a bit wild on this one.

My brother does a lot of work with Straumann. Yeah we're a bit ticked that they don't have a screw retained hybrid solution, the scanner leaves a bit to be desired, and mental wings open sucks for full contour design and well pretty much everything imho....

But we get great service from them and we have a great rep that has funneled him a lot of business.

I mean if you have good relations with your accounts...what's to worry about?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Alistar,
I so often agree with you, but I'm not sure we are overboard on this.

I would submit that competition is good for the consumer (in this case the dentist/patient) and "streamlining" and consolidating is not. See Wal-Mart. In the short term the prices are very attractive. Then the competition of smaller businesses die. Next the "low" prices climb. Then the only major game in town starts dictating to suppliers, carriers, "associates", partners and clients how they are going to do business. Fine. If we want to put more plastic trash in our over-stuffed homes, whatever.
But this is health care. We make human body replacement parts. The future seems to be an IO scan, automatically computer designed, milled by a mega-corp, with the only humans touching it the dentist and final recipient. I hope the dentist is excellent and ethical, because the patient won't find out until there's a problem.

Oh, and we have a rep???:noidea:
Forgot, since I haven't heard anything from them since I bought my scanner.

Fool me once (es1),shame on you. Fool me twice (cs2) shame on me. :frusty:

Top Bottom