3shape Splint maker?

GoldRunner

GoldRunner

Reaction score
Anyone using the new splint maker? We tried to use the "help" but it seems that when we downloaded it, it didn't get placed in the proper folder. Any suggestions? I remember this problem from other updates but don't remember how to solve it.

Anyway, the splint maker does not seem that intuitive without the instructions. We have some very nice clear PMMA to mill for splints, hope it works.

DentalAxess

DentalAxess

Reaction score
rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
I took a one day program at 3shape a couple months ago and we talked about the splint designer. I am all hot to trot for it because we do a lot of splints and would love to digitize my splint fabrication. Travis admits that this is their first version and it is not there yet. Not very user friendly at the moment:(.

C

cap_yk

Reaction score
We have milled a number of splints designed in the Splint Designer. We have a walkthrough of the workflow on CAP Academy: Full Walkthrough of Splint Designer.
(You must be previously logged into CAP Academy for the link to work, registration is free. Otherwise, you will need to search for the video after logging in. The title is "Full Walkthrough of Splint Designer")

It's not too bad once you go through it a couple times, but the interface could definitely use some work.

Last edited:
rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
We have milled a number of splints designed in the Splint Designer. We have a walkthrough of the workflow on CAP Academy: Full Walkthrough of Splint Designer.
(You must be previously logged into CAP Academy for the link to work, registration is free. Otherwise, you will need to search for the video after logging in. The title is "Full Walkthrough of Splint Designer")

It's not too bad once you go through it a couple times, but the interface could definitely use some work.

How long does the milling take?

GoldRunner

GoldRunner

Reaction score
We got through the first one, but it was a pain. Took 1:45 to mill it. The clear PMMA we used looked great. It fit ok, but the occlusion was not exactly what we wanted. A lot of hand finishing was required because it was much bulkier than desired. Maybe a few more tries with the software and we will get better results. It was very time consuming! We will make another sample case soon.

What can you charge for something like this? Considering the amount of time required and materials we would have to charge $200 for a splint, not sure if that is realistic?

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
What can you charge for something like this? Considering the amount of time required and materials we would have to charge $200 for a splint, not sure if that is realistic?[/QUOTE]

We charge $65 dollars less than that for our processed ones.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
we are at roughly 2 hours per splint

That is too slow for me. We do 150 to 200 splints per month. I see printing the way to go. No one yet from what I know has a clear long term use approved clear material though.

tomas

tomas

Sponsors
Reaction score
Check out the 3shape webinar on splint designs. It's showing it in the full ApplianceDesigner so some of the buttons are in different places as when doing it through DentalSystem, but essentially it's the same workflow:

http://www.3shapedental.com/media/2308689/2013-12-13 Orthodontics_ Splint CAD design in Appliance Designer_x264.mp4

(SplintDesigner is kind of a "modded" ApplianceDesigner using the same tools but offering a workflow for splints).

Regards,
Dominic

Thanks for you share it to us , i learned more from this vido ,

BeerBeerCheersCheersCheers

tomas

tomas

Sponsors
Reaction score
That is too slow for me. We do 150 to 200 splints per month. I see printing the way to go. No one yet from what I know has a clear long term use approved clear material though.

wool,.you do 7 to 10 arch a day , thats crazy ,your are real a master.
there is anyone can show me some pic of splints design , thanks..

i could be very enjoy it .

thanks my american guys.
BeerBeerBeer

Adolfo

Adolfo

Reaction score
I'm starting to design them but I have some doubts. I see it have a lot of friction and I dont known how much spacer must to put.
Can it be printed on a 3D printer?

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
Which modules are required for designing these?

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I think it's free CadCamAl. Not sure though.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
I'm starting to design them but I have some doubts. I see it have a lot of friction and I dont known how much spacer must to put.
Can it be printed on a 3D printer?
I would imaging you need to tweek the spacer settings till you are happy. I do not know of any FDA approve long term clear material out there. Only clear I have seen so far is only good for 24 hours total time intraorally.
Our rep at Stratasys stopped by and asked what I need and told him a long term clear material and said they are working on something.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
They all are I think. I'd guess IDS will bring some more print materials. We have milled a few of these. Spacing and offset angle is the key. They do require hand finishing after milling though. They take about 1:30 - 2 hours to mill. Maybe half an hour of design and finishing.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
So is that with OrthoScan too? I'll have to get my reseller to activate it for me?