3shape glidewell abutment

A

arnie16403

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way around the encrypted file that 3shape exports when using abutment designer and scan buttons purchased through glidewell, it exports a .dcm file. It looks like if you buy abutment designer and scanners adaptors from Glidewell you have to send the abutment to Glidewell to get milled.

J

jsmott

Reaction score
I've nearly made the decision to purchase a 3Shape D800 Scanner. I have 4 different distributors of the 3Shape after me at present including Glidewell Laboratories. I was not told that the abutment designer software that Glidewell provides has proprietory file extensions which require that you use Glidewell only for abutment milling. Does anybody out there have additional information regarding this? The other distributors desiring to sell the system to us are Biomet 3I, CadBlu, and Dentsply. I've so far gotten the best pricing offer from 3I and have been assured that the system in totally open architecture if bought from them. I would be interested in all informed opinions on this matter.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
I've nearly made the decision to purchase a 3Shape D800 Scanner. I have 4 different distributors of the 3Shape after me at present including Glidewell Laboratories. I was not told that the abutment designer software that Glidewell provides has proprietory file extensions which require that you use Glidewell only for abutment milling. Does anybody out there have additional information regarding this? The other distributors desiring to sell the system to us are Biomet 3I, CadBlu, and Dentsply. I've so far gotten the best pricing offer from 3I and have been assured that the system in totally open architecture if bought from them. I would be interested in all informed opinions on this matter.

Buy a scanner that runs on ExoCad, 3shape has been and gone IMO, Exo has more toys, a smaller licence fee and you are not locked into the licence(unlike with 3shape) from what I have been told if you don't pay the 3shape licence then they won't support you, unlike Exo who will. take the licence or leave it, the choice is yours. BTW, I have been doing CAD/CAM for 7 years and I just bought Exo because it looks fantastic:)

Dental Implant Digital Impression CAD/CAM bar by PICdental & exocad - YouTube

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I bought the Bar module and we went over it today.

AWESOME! You can design holes to be tapped, add attachments, pretty much full control with over 100 implant platforms already in library to choose. You would need physical scan body.

I bought many duplicates of each to try and capture in same scanning session for bars and bridges. More accurate. I use Non-EcoCAD software to align the Implant scan bodys to CAD file. It seems to be a little different alignment Math? Then, re-Import back into ExoCAD.

I am just learning now the best solution for multi-Implant stuff. I'm still an idiot at this point.

Scott

Last edited:
M

Minz

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way around the encrypted file that 3shape exports when using abutment designer and scan buttons purchased through glidewell, it exports a .dcm file. It looks like if you buy abutment designer and scanners adaptors from Glidewell you have to send the abutment to Glidewell to get milled.

This is correct, scan abutment libraries are encrypted on 3Shape and usable only with the company that sold you the system. This is not unique to Glidewell. However, with approval from the seller, other scan abutment libraries can be installed. This is what makes the system from Glidewell open. We (Glidewell) will not hold you back from working with other milling centers if you choose. We are happy to compete with others on quality, price, and service. If you can find a better value, you should do what is best for your business. In fact, if you have any questions on how to get the most from your 3Shape system, please feel free to give Glidewell a call. We will do our best to support you.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
If you can find a better value, you should do what is best for your business. In fact, if you have any questions on how to get the most from your 3Shape system, please feel free to give Glidewell a call. We will do our best to support you.

As many of you know, We do a ton of business with Glidewell, and we've been extemely happy with the work and service they provide. We have bought scanners, milling systems, and a lot of their consumable materials. They are designed to work consistently in a production environment, and we appreciate the quality and value they give us.

Face it. All of our suppliers have become our competitors as cross channel business grows. At least with Glidewell, you know the bugs have been worked out before you get involved. They won't sell it until it works well for their own lab.

A

arnie16403

Reaction score
Scott, do they let you bring in interfaces they don't support, what does it take to make an interface library? The milling centers selling 3shape that is locked is there choice but 3shape is completly open system that allows any one to make a library for it.

I'm pretty sure exocad does not support all of the interfaces I'm currently cutting.

arnie

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, they do support all Implants.

Over 100 platforms now.

You need somthing they do not have...takes a few days.
Send to Italy a screw, Analog, and abutment. CAD file and physical Locator to scan will besent back to you.

You can make your own, like the FrenchCADman on this site.

It is Open and awesome!

Mark......Mark Mark Mark....Oh Mark. LOL

F

.:FIN:.

Reaction score
***, will the scanner manufacturer also provide the library for implants? Can you mill bars in one piece without any abutments cemented in bar? You said that over 100 platforms already, is the list of platforms somewhere to see?

A

arnie16403

Reaction score
Scott any chance you could show me how to load the library files? I have a customer starting to do bars with the exocad and their are a couple additional ones he needs and I know one of the interfaces loaded on his system by someone else is wrong, doesn't matter how accurate the DMG machine is if the interaface is designed wrong making it about .15mm to high.

arnie

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Scott any chance you could show me how to load the library files? I have a customer starting to do bars with the exocad and their are a couple additional ones he needs and I know one of the interfaces loaded on his system by someone else is wrong, doesn't matter how accurate the DMG machine is if the interaface is designed wrong making it about .15mm to high.

arnie

You have a DMG, OK, now I hate you and I have never even met you Lol, only joking really nice bit of kit very envious.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score

arnie

I am new, give me some time. There is signature in XML file that Exo looks for when importing the implant library, or other files....like attachments and stuff. My system came with very complete library, and I can custom make stuff as well with Exo tools.

Yes, Interface needs to be perfect. Scan locator needs to be perfect.

All must match the CAD library, of course.

There will be some crap locators, and some accurate ones by various manuf.

Nobil-Metal and Open Technologies work together to provide the tools and parts and librarys.

Yes, you can make bars and whatever on any implant system.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
For a bar....the best way to scan is using multiple scan locators in the same scanning session. You will need to quadrouple your lab's inventory of physical scan locators. $$

Some labs will take the cheap way out, and use the same single locator and re-scan 4x for each Implant location when doing All-on-Four bar and similar. This is going to basically be Four meshes aligned together with more flaws than if you captured all locators at once.

I am slowly building my collection starting now.

Macron Dental Lab

Macron Dental Lab

Reaction score

Hi Arnie email me the file i may have the a solution :D [email protected]

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
This is old list.

Special requests are accepted.

3i 3.5mm
3i 4.1mm
3i 5.0mm
3i 6.0mm
3i MUA CONICO
Ankylos 3.75mm
Antogyr 4.0mm
Antogyr 4.7mm
Antogyr 5.6mm
Astra 3.0mm
Astra 3.5-4.0mm
Astra 4.5-5.0mm
Astra 20° MUA
Astra 45° MUA
AZ 4.5mm
Branemark NP
Branemark RP
Branemark RP piattaforma 5.0mm
Branemark WP
Bredent 4.0mm
BTI 3.5mm
BTI 4.1mm
BTK CR 4.1mm
BTK EN 3.4mm
BTK ER 4.1mm
BTK EW 5.0mm
BTK IM 4.5mm
BTK IR 3.5mm
BTK IW 5.0mm
BTK SR 3.5mm
Camlog 4.3mm
Camlog 6.0mm
Certain 3.4mm
Certain 4.1mm
Certain 5.0mm
Certain 6.0mm
DentalTech 3.75mm
DentalTech 4.5mm
EasyGrip 3.5mm
EasyGrip 3.8mm
EasyGrip 4.5mm
EasyGrip 5.0mm
EasyGrip 5.5mm
EasyGrip Conico MUA
Falappa Medical Device F1
Falappa Medical Device F2
Falappa Medical Device F3
FMD iFix 3.4mm
Frialit 3.4mm
Frialit 3.8mm
Frialit 4.5mm
Frialit 5.5mm
Frialit 6.5mm
Futura 4.0mm
Ghimas 4.0mm
IDEvolution 4.0mm
IHC Excel 4.5mm
Intralock Flat One
Intralock Narrow Flat
Intralock Istico
Intralock Itico
Intralock IticoW
Isomed 5.0mm
Klockner 4.2mm
Leader 4.0mm
Leone Conico MUA
Matrix 3.3mm
Matrix 3.8mm
Matrix 4.5mm
Matrix 5.2mm
Matrix 5.9mm
Megagen 3.5mm
Megagen 4.0mm
Megagen IRCS 200
Megagen EPOAR 502
Megagen IOPN 100 T
Megagen EILA 400
Megagen EILA 330
Microdent 4.2mm
Miss 3.5mm
Miss Conico MUA
Neoss 4.0mm
Neoss 4.5mm
NobelActive 3.5mm
NobelActive 4.3-5.0mm
OralPlant 3.4mm
OralPlant 3.8mm
OralPlant 4.5mm
OralPlant 5.0mm
Orvit Est 5.0mm
Orvit Int 5.0mm
PhisioPlant SAC300
PhisioPlant ABP/FMB
PhisioPlant FMT
PittEasy 3.5mm
PittEasy 4.0mm
PittEasy 5.0mm
Prodent 3.5mm
Prodent 4.0mm
Prodent 5.0mm
Replace Select 3.5mm
Replace Select 4.3mm
Replace Select 5.0mm
Replace Select 6.0mm
Schultz 5.2mm
Semados 3.25mm
Semados 3.75mm
Semados 4.1mm
Semados 4.5mm
Straumann Synocta 3.5mm
Straumann Synocta 4.8mm
Straumann Synocta 6.5mm
Straumann BoneLevel 3.3mm
Straumann BoneLevel 4.1mm
Straumann BoneLevel 4.8mm
Sweden Global 4.0mm
Sweden In Link 3.7mm
Sweden Khono 3.8mm
Sweden Khono 4.25mm
Sweden Khono 5.0mm
Sweden Out Link 4.0mm
Sweden Pad 3.3mm
Tekka Amarillo
Tekka Naranja
Tekka Verde
Tommen 4.2mm
Tommen 4.8mm
ZimmerScrouwent 3.7mm
ZimmerScrouwent 4.5mm
ZimmerScrouwent 5.7mm
ZimmerSwissPluss 4.8mm
Zimmer Tac Conico MUA
Zimmer Spline 3.0mm
Zimmer Spline 3.75mm
Zimmer Spline Conico MUA

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
Yes, they do support all Implants.

Over 100 platforms now.

You need somthing they do not have...takes a few days.
Send to Italy a screw, Analog, and abutment. CAD file and physical Locator to scan will besent back to you.

You can make your own, like the FrenchCADman on this site.

It is Open and awesome!

Mark......Mark Mark Mark....Oh Mark. LOL

Would the Italian option work with iTero?
Order your own scan pegs, have Dr. do the intraoral scan with your own scan peg, import iTero file in to 3shape, design abutment, send file to iTero to get model with replica of abutment milled, send abutment design file to any milling center to be milled?