3shape Dongle

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Terry, you cannot just change your OS, or upgrade, or get a newer version without wiping out all programs and starting all over again building your PC.

What are you on about..people do it all the time without wiping their programs and starting all over.....

What do you mean here exactly?

How can you "rest your case" when no one else knows what it is.... or was... was it a compettion? Are they giving away blue or red ribbons?

I think you have missed the initial point. I don't think I ever said that programs will just automatically stop working spontaneously like the Y2K fiasco scare.

"If your old version still works then you keep using it without a fee, right? Well maybe not.. Your OS may update files that render your working version useless.
Or a driver may change..same result. This happens all the time..."

There is nothing untrue about that statement, it happens.

Above is exactly what i originally said.... notice the word "maybe" and also i said "your OS may"
This infers some sort of automatic update..as I pointed out in another post.

In replying to your question I mentioned a specific instance that happened to me about some ueye camera drivers that were updated rendering a scanner useless...
Do you want o line up and be the doubting Thomas.... far out that made the scanning software useless until we could work out what it was...
Then the manufacturer had to make a patch.

Was that not a good enough example? Then I mentioned your issue with the Medit scanners.... fair again.

I understand you sell exocad and are are trying to defend that " you don't have to update it or pay for yearly updates" Sure its a reasonable selling point
but not the be all... it's actually a great program... Have a look who is the reseller for Australia..... www.exocad.com.

I think you are trying to argue about nothing.... chill man, we are on the same page, mostly...obviously not about " POS Roland" but ya can't have everything can ya?

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Interesting post "(POS Roland for example!)". It seems as though your the only one on DLN that feels this way. And, there are hundreds of them out there producing high end work every day.
Also interesting "Why go buy the cheapest mill on the planet?". Could be because it works GREAT! And, it's not the cheapest mill on the planet or even in dental. I believe Preciso takes this one.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
The Roland DWX 50 has well over 1000 installations. It's without a doubt the most successful, greatest value dental mill ever released for dental.
Look at the design, there is nothing else like it, it is built on proven technology from a hugely innovative and successful company.
No it's not some great big brick of a thing industrial machine and it is designed to mill specific materials only.

It does not do everything, but what it does do, it does very well.

Pick one up, plug it in..load software and tools, Let I do a self calibration. Then it goes off to work. Not bad!

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
The Roland DWX 50 has well over 1000 installations. It's without a doubt the most successful, greatest value dental mill ever released for dental.
Look at the design, there is nothing else like it, it is built on proven technology from a hugely innovative and successful company.
No it's not some great big brick of a thing industrial machine and it is designed to mill specific materials only.

It does not do everything, but what it does do, it does very well.

Pick one up, plug it in..load software and tools, Let I do a self calibration. Then it goes off to work. Not bad!
I do sell Roland DWX 50 mills. But, I,m speaking honestly here. We have four of them. The oldest now has 5,107 hours and running like it did on day 1. Never replaced the spindle. Just keeps on milling. Our next oldest has 3,876 hours with trouble free milling. We have replace 1 spindle in the 4 mills. Not sure how long the original lasted. For zirconia, wax and PMMA it's a no brainer. Easy to operate, cost effective, accurate 5 axis mill that can mill the most complex geometries.

J

jesusdesinger10

Reaction score
I'm a reseller. I'm certain you don't need to return it. 3Shape simply turns it off. You own the dongle 3Shape controls it. Don't return it. You purchased it. You can reactivate it later as long as you have it. Or you can sell it with the scanner.
I recently picked up a used 3 Shape scanner. The software had not been upgraded for two years. I received the scanner dongle and an old CPU.
I'm thinking that your dealer wants to take your dongle and pay the annual fee which is like having an additional design seat for much less than what it cost to add or buy a new seat. I really can't think of any other reason they are making an issue out of this.
I would tell them they can have it for $5K. Or, tell them you intend on selling the system, or have sold it.
Do you know anyone who has a dongle to sell?

J

jesusdesinger10

Reaction score
I'm a reseller. I'm certain you don't need to return it. 3Shape simply turns it off. You own the dongle 3Shape controls it. Don't return it. You purchased it. You can reactivate it later as long as you have it. Or you can sell it with the scanner.
I recently picked up a used 3 Shape scanner. The software had not been upgraded for two years. I received the scanner dongle and an old CPU.
I'm thinking that your dealer wants to take your dongle and pay the annual fee which is like having an additional design seat for much less than what it cost to add or buy a new seat. I really can't think of any other reason they are making an issue out of this.
I would tell them they can have it for $5K. Or, tell them you intend on selling the system, or have sold it.
Hi Bob, Do you know anyone who wants to sell their dongle? I want to start my own design company from home and am more interested in having my own database vs VPN.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Hi Bob, Do you know anyone who wants to sell their dongle? I want to start my own design company from home and am more interested in having my own database vs VPN.
Bob’s retired and I don’t think he’s been on in a while.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
You can get a dongle from Argen and many other 3shape resellers. Bob sold out to uncle hank who destroyed his company and doesn't come around anymore. Moral of the story, don't end up like Bob.