3Shape D500 & Ortho Analyser

G

GarryB

Reaction score
I am looking to get up to date and get a scanner........like many techs out there my head is spinning with the sheer volume of things to take into consideration.....I've had a headache for a month with looking at a screen doing my homework before a very expensive decision has to be made.

So I've taken all things into account and am looking at the entry level D500 as it seems to do what I want and is a fairly cost effective choice (please jump in at any time if I am way off the mark with anything and have a suggestion that could help.....it would be hugely appreciated).

I thought an added source of revenue could come from clear aligners.....since I am getting a scanner and was looking at the Ortho Analyser to allow me to do this. But a rep told me today that the D500 won't work with Ortho Analyser and I would need a higher spec scanner. So I'm wondering if this is factually correct or is he hedging me to spend more?

Many thanks for any help.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
Depends upon so many variables but the most simple being volume and applications you intend.
However, just my opinion, I would not get a d500, too many limitations. If you want a scanner a d800 is the sweet spot, and not likely to be obsolete any time soon.
Purchasing new equipment comes down to a small list of variables.

- How many units will you run through it
- What new business opportunities will it open up.
- What will it do to your existing workflow.
- How will it position you for the future.

If you have good answers for these then the cost is really subordinated to those answers.

Honestly, I rarely give the price tag more than a passing glance.
As important as cost is, it is nothing compared to the opportunity of a technology used properly.
Equipment might cause sticker shock, but the value of a machine is its utilization.
I will always pay a LOT more for an item which has greater utility.

If you would like to share more about your utilization plan you can probably get some more specific advice :)

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Depends upon so many variables but the most simple being volume and applications you intend.
However, just my opinion, I would not get a d500, too many limitations. If you want a scanner a d800 is the sweet spot, and not likely to be obsolete any time soon.
Purchasing new equipment comes down to a small list of variables.

- How many units will you run through it
- What new business opportunities will it open up.
- What will it do to your existing workflow.
- How will it position you for the future.

If you have good answers for these then the cost is really subordinated to those answers.

Honestly, I rarely give the price tag more than a passing glance.
As important as cost is, it is nothing compared to the opportunity of a technology used properly.
Equipment might cause sticker shock, but the value of a machine is its utilization.
I will always pay a LOT more for an item which has greater utility.

If you would like to share more about your utilization plan you can probably get some more specific advice :)
Hey Jason

I see what your saying about going for the d800 but at the moment, it is just out of my price range hence me looking at the less able d500.

Can you give me some insight into the limitations of the d500? We are a small lab and I will mainly be using it for Crown & Bridge, FC zirconia, laser sintered copings, milled temps but hope to be doing clear aligners, surgical guides and also need to be able to accept files from dentists.

I also need to know if Ortho Analyser can be used with the d500.

As I said I would love to be able to go for more capable model but It's not a reality for now.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Do not know what a D500 goes for. I see Digital Dental is selling D700 I believe for 14k. Prety good since we bought our D700 several years ago for 20 something. I am sure with 3Shapes new line of scanners available you should be able to snag a good deal on the old line of scanners from someone. They are still good and our D700 has been a real workhorse for us.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Do not know what a D500 goes for. I see Digital Dental is selling D700 I believe for 14k. Prety good since we bought our D700 several years ago for 20 something. I am sure with 3Shapes new line of scanners available you should be able to snag a good deal on the old line of scanners from someone. They are still good and our D700 has been a real workhorse for us.
Yeah thats partly the reason we are looking now. We have heard of some very good deals at the Cologne show with big discounts off the older models and discounts off licence fees.
One of my obviouse concerns is that the older models will no longer be supported.
We don't do big case jobs (most of our cases are single units or short span bridges)so would not need the most up to date hardware.....would be nice but an expence we cant afford.
We may look to a slightly more up to date model if we can get a good deal.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
honestly, if you are pinching pennies in this way, is it really viable for you to get into a new technology?
Perhaps a cooperative relationship with someone in our area who already has one, if you want to have access to it for one-offs or specialty products?
It just seems like this is going to be a tremendous burden from the way you are describing, and if so it might be a mistake depending upon your future plans...
I've consulted and done lab rebuilds and turnarounds for years, if you would like more specific advice I'd be glad to offer suggestions.
The cost of the technology has a lot more to do with workflow integration (or lack thereof)and training/learning curve.
You describe yourself as a small C&B lab but are looking at clear aligners as a revenue stream...why would you do something you have no experience with when you already have expertise in C&B...why not do more C&B?
If you would like to talk offline give me a shout 407-542-1552

Please understand I am not criticizing you, you might have great reasons for all of your plans. It's just that the way it is coming across here you could be creating more problems for yourself than you might be solving.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I can't believe there isn't a reseller around here that could answer this guy's question about ortho analyzer and the D500.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
honestly, if you are pinching pennies in this way, is it really viable for you to get into a new technology?
Perhaps a cooperative relationship with someone in our area who already has one, if you want to have access to it for one-offs or specialty products?
It just seems like this is going to be a tremendous burden from the way you are describing, and if so it might be a mistake depending upon your future plans...
I've consulted and done lab rebuilds and turnarounds for years, if you would like more specific advice I'd be glad to offer suggestions.
The cost of the technology has a lot more to do with workflow integration (or lack thereof)and training/learning curve.
You describe yourself as a small C&B lab but are looking at clear aligners as a revenue stream...why would you do something you have no experience with when you already have expertise in C&B...why not do more C&B?
If you would like to talk offline give me a shout 407-542-1552

Please understand I am not criticizing you, you might have great reasons for all of your plans. It's just that the way it is coming across here you could be creating more problems for yourself than you might be solving.

Jason, thank you for your honest reply.
I can see from re reading my posts it does come across that I'm all about the price. I am and aren't. The reason for this is that I would dearly love to get into the area of digital technology and utilize it for C&B production. Alongside this I also want it to expand what I am able to offer my dentists even if this means me embarking on new learning curves......If I have the technology why not put it to use kind of thing. It may come to nothing but I will learn some new things along the way.
I heard that with the release of new tech at the Cologne show there would be good discounts on older models which may give me a way in to the digital field which would otherwise be out of reach.
I've costed and re costed so many times trying to work out if it is worth it financially and in the short term it's not (just) but my goal is to build on what I am doing and that is my driving force.
I totally understand you’re not criticizing and take any comments as constructive which I always welcome.
And yes 2thm8kr, I have asked so many people this question in the past week but still no one is able to answer.