3d Printing for surgical guides

ter01475

ter01475

Reaction score
Who could recommend a 3D printer for making guided surgery guides. We don't do a lot, maybe 3 or 4 a week, so cost of the printer is important.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
3D Systems ProJet 3510 series. They have a great machine and awesome materials.

ter01475

ter01475

Reaction score
there must be a less expensive machine that can do 3 or 4 guides per week....I don't care if it takes all day to make...so speed is not a problem, but i would like to find a solution. Maybe just sending out the file is the way to do it.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
why not just mill your own clear PMMA

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Yeah...you could do that. Roland is much less expensive. Clearn PMMA from TD Dental for real cheap too!

But, you're not going to be able to mill out the guides without a special implant planning software. Plus you can't mill out a fixation pin hole either.

ter01475

ter01475

Reaction score
I am planning on using Blue Sky Plan for the software...it will export a stl file for either printing or milling. I mill makes sense...very good idea...maybe time to start to mill in house!

CB93

CB93

Reaction score
I am planning on using Blue Sky Plan for the software...it will export a stl file for either printing or milling. I mill makes sense...very good idea...maybe time to start to mill in house!

Blue Sky Plan will only export a file of the model with a cylinder over the implant site, for about 20 dollars. With this file you will then be able to print the same or use it to design a surgical guide using commercial CAD software ( VRmesh ). Once you design the surgical guide, then you can print it or mill it.

Cary

mammasan

mammasan

Reaction score
Blue Sky Plan will only export a file of the model with a cylinder over the implant site, for about 20 dollars. With this file you will then be able to print the same or use it to design a surgical guide using commercial CAD software ( VRmesh ). Once you design the surgical guide, then you can print it or mill it.

Cary
You can export out a file of the model with a post to support your metal guide tube or you can design and export out the actual surgical guide from within the software. You have two choices. I make my guides by having the model printed and then I use primosplint to pick up the metal post. They work well.

mammasan

mammasan

Reaction score
Sorry, first post and I meant to add that they have added in the vrmesh functionality directly into BSP.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
$6000 for a BIG 3d systems printer. Same as a ProJet. It is an Invision.

Can run FDA approved material for guides. I have some to supply with purchase.

When do you want it shipped? LOL

I have Two to choose from. Both are running.

Also have a ProJet HD Plus for $30k.

Can train to repair as well!

I buy/sell/repair 3d printers in spare time.

Scott, in Richmond Virginia.

804-285-0777

Mine are "hacked" to accept any material and other tricks! :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331172793323?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Hey Scott, what is the difference between your invision for 6k and the projet for 30k. Are the resolutions comparable? I love the prints I get from you now, but at 30k it wouldn't be a good investment at the moment

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
One is OK for Models and guides....not C&B ($6k unit obviously)
64um

The other is 32um res.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Is 64um good enough if your rewaxing margins anyway?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Matter of opinion I guess? Some people may not accept it?

I know many labs that print at that resolution for C&B.

Marotta in NY for example... (Too tired and lazy to check on spelling for their name at the moment....)

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
I'm gonna send a couple wax ups tomorrow to have printed on it if that's ok. I'll make sure to send an email with it too. Quick question, can you print in other colors besides blue?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
You may choose many colors when you have a printer that is opened.

All the colors 3dSystems offers. Red, Grey, Green, Blue, Clear, and many others....The Opaque Dental Stone stuff in a couple colors....I think they have Black now.

I change color with solution of M.E.K. and insides from Sharpie Marker I beat out with hammer.

For example.....

mammasan

mammasan

Reaction score
What is the material you run on your invision and what do you estimate the cost is to print a full arch surgical guide. Thanks.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Yeah...you could do that. Roland is much less expensive. Clearn PMMA from TD Dental for real cheap too!

But, you're not going to be able to mill out the guides without a special implant planning software. Plus you can't mill out a fixation pin hole either.

actually kent you can.

you can design the guide using the basic Coping software. if the model has some indication as to angle or even merely site location you can make something.

it wont be right

but you can make it.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
What is the material you run on your invision and what do you estimate the cost is to print a full arch surgical guide. Thanks.

I have a lot of material... EX, SR, MP, SR, DP....??

I have Two InVision and Two ProJets....looking at a Third ProJet from NY at the moment....

I always do things cheaper than anyone else without sacrificing quality.

Your results may vary? LOL

My cost vs/ your cost vs/ what I charge are Three different things.

Bottom line....cheaper than anywhere else!