3 Shape Appliance Designer

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this program. I need to design custom attachments but I have no instructions and I don't understand the correct protocol for them.You can add STL files but it needs other information...anyone?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you need to add a custom attachment to your appliance ? have you added it in the ortho control panel ? test your method by copying the paths used for Articulation interfaces in the model builder. later, swap the interfaces for things you might have custom scanned in the scanitlibrary suite or an item you downloaded from the net.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Hi CHL, thanks of the assistance....do you actually have 3S Appliance Designer?
In the Ortho Control panel is where I can add an STL for attachment , but the rest is gobbleygook.
Maybe its a bit like adding interfaces in DentalDesigner?

I just got 2012 Manual...its not much help... I have 2013 ....

It's a pain, as its not intuitive..... normally I dont need manuals...but this time...where is it!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
hi terry; yes i have appliance designer and do use it.

unfortunately all the help i can offer, i've already given. i havent yet needed to add an attachment to a nightguard. however from my experience with model builder it looks like much the same method as adding an articulator interface, so for my money you could go into the model builder, use a copy of some basic interfaces, and see if they add correctly; if they do you can substitute those interfaces for your custom stl's

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate input.. I will keep at it.

Does the articulator interface have 3 states? This is where i am stumped...its asking for 3 states of the stl file...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yep.

in modelbuilder, the part that grows/shrinks/gets trimmed is a separate piece than the articulator interface, to preserve the shape of the interface and prevent it from being stretched/trimmed by inserting it too far into the model.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Ok... What are the states it is asking for? Standard shape...then what?

These guys should write proper manuals...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
so this is what Model builder defines as its two-piece attachments.

in the ortho control panel i have simply pointed its request to the same folder, but different connectors, in the hope that adding an interface will show something on the screen and i can identify what to change.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Thanks for all that.... Thats it! Its the additive and subtractive that gets me... I don't understand what it wants...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i very well could be wrong, i have never done this before.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Yea but thanks for having a shot..... its pointing in right direction.... i will investigate my model builder now.... see what happens

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Terry,

It sounds like a Boolean operation (this geometry plus or minus that geometry equals new geometry) For example, a positive block combined with a negative cylinder equals a block with a hole in it. Since 3Shape is working with .stl tessellated data I can see how they would only be able to do Boolean operations on the geometry. Mesh plus or minus another mesh equals new mesh.

I forwarded a copy of this thread to CAP to see if their tech team could offer you some guidelines or documentation to make the learning curve a little less steep.

-Glenn

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Thanks Glenn, may see you in Florida?

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
I will see you there. Just in time for the start of Hurricane season. :eek:

C

cap_yk

Reaction score
Terry,

Are you still looking for help in adding custom attachments? Please let me know if you are..