0.5mm bur for ziconia ?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I'm getting some burs made for my Roland, taking the middlemen out of the equation. ;) Was thinking to give a try with a 0.5mm instead of the 0.6mm to further increase resolution, IMO logically would follow the 2 and 1 in diameter halving. Does anybody have any experience with this size ? Is there a reason why the 0.6 is so popular ?

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Good question...
But if your going from .06 to .05... why not have them make you a .03 bur? Should last a good long while if your just using it for external finishing steps...

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I got the 0.3mm already, didn't see too much use of it initially. Refinishing the occlusal and FC bridge connectors is an overkill IMO, I can do that just fine in the green stage with a small fissure bur and a fine diamond disk. However since I changed the strategy to go over the margin line, my fits got way better specially with jagged/less than ideal margins. That's about it, the short reach limits its use. Thinking of something small (0.4mm ?) , with the longest reach possible to mill precise keyways and attachments (in burn-out plastic of course) while avoiding flexing/breakage issues... Might be getting a vortex tube fitted as well to further cool the tools while milling plastics.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
So you were finishing internally with the .03? Nice... I would imagine some great margins, but I always had great margins finishing internal with a 1mm on an Imes Icore 340i. And compared to my current use of an MXCL, the 340i Margins were imaculate even under magnifacation...
Would love a .06 or smaller to fit the MXCL, why they dont at the least offer it, i dunno. Would solve a lot of issues. I wouldnt mind replacing the emax burs each use just to fit the extra bur in the MXCL.
What machine are you milling with?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Cannot finnish the inside with the 0.3, too short for most cases, although with 5 axis continuous could increase its reach a bit. All its doing is refines the margin line ( a 0.5mm wide strip ) as defined by the CAD program. That's why I'm thinking of the 0.5 for inside restmilling...

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
If you go with a .5 mm end mill make sure you add it to your CAM strategies.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Obviously will setup a dedicated strategy package for it, just looking for some input before spending $$$ to get them manufactured...

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Im on Inlab with an MCXL, i definately miss Sum 3d and building my custom strategies... i know your having fun...

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Sometimes sum3d can be quite frustrating, believe me...took me a while to collect some documentation on it. Then trial and error to figure things out.
Feel sorry for you Marcus, I would get rid of that MXCL and buy some better system and still would have some money left.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Obviously will setup a dedicated strategy package for it, just looking for some input before spending $$$ to get them manufactured...

You say obviously but you would be amazed at the number of people that switch tool sizes and even tool positions and then wonder why their parts are all messed up. Of course they blame it on the mill. :)

Keep us posted on your new tool configuration and if you found any advantage to going with a .5mm end mill.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Yeah, I hear that a lot... stupid mill, stupid program. ..etc. but in the end they're just tools...like a plier or a hammer just more complicated for some to use

Sent fom my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Quick question Glenn, is it possible to change the collet to accept different shank diameters ? I'd like to convert it to 1/8", 4mm stock is less popular with tool manufacturers in North America....

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Since the machine is sold worldwide they only offer the 4mm shank. No other collets available. Since the mill has been such a big success there are a lot more tool vendors offering 4mm shank tools to support it. If you are cutting zr then definitely go with diamond coated tools. They cost a lot more but they last a lot longer. We tested several brands and found a lot of variance due to the way they are coated. The ones we stock cost more but they lasted much longer than anything else we tried.

Roland DGA Store

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I see... in this case could you provide by any chance a model # to that NSK spindle what the Roland uses ?

Thanks

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have that info.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
No worries. Do you sell collets separately ?

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
No worries. Do you sell collets separately ?

Yes we do. You can order them through your reseller:

Part#: 1000008899
Description: HOLDER,COLLET 4.0 DWX-50

Top Bottom