Is there any reason to block out a die with wax?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We have a 3 shape scanner. Is there any reason to block out the die before scanning? I was under the impression that the software would automatically block out any undercuts.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I block out dies on solid models before scanning sometimes. Yes the software blocks out automatically, but I find that on large bridge work
my life is easier if I do some blocking out on nonparallel preps or if large areas of decay were excavated.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I block out dies on solid models before scanning sometimes. Yes the software blocks out automatically, but I find that on large bridge work
my life is easier if I do some blocking out on nonparallel preps or if large areas of decay were excavated.
do you scan solid models as part of your workflow? or just sectioned/ditched models?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
do you scan solid models as part of your workflow? or just sectioned/ditched models?
Ditched solid models only. Never pin or section dies. Occasionally I have to pour an extra die to trim to get a clean margin scan then I just merge that to the solid.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
That's a good time to fill the bubbles with wax as well.Vroam

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Wax is for fixing poor model work.

As for draw I trust the software. Sculpt on die is faster unless its on a margin. We have an electric waxer on the scanning bench and I am always pissed when I see a tech using it as it reminds me that someone didn't do their job perfectly. Thats just my OCD kicking in

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I only block out severe undercuts, everything else I let the software do or I just sculpt on die and fill it in digitally.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Wax is for fixing poor model work.

As for draw I trust the software. Sculpt on die is faster unless its on a margin. We have an electric waxer on the scanning bench and I am always pissed when I see a tech using it as it reminds me that someone didn't do their job perfectly. Thats just my OCD kicking in

This is exactly how I feel.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yes you can let the software do the work, but should you ?

all my experience leads me to say no. you shouldnt let it.

here are my reasons why.

1. you will have turnover of staff; new staff will take some time to adjust to get good at making models, or get good at design (depending where your turnover happens),so you will need to hold their hand with wax touchups of the die.

2. you will have terrible doctors. everyone does. some need a bit more help than others, and the software isnt always smart enough to do it right. this leads me to 3

3. it doesnt always do it right. it will try to block out what it can but certain bridges just can't be digitally done unless you are me, or sevan, or Kent.

4. if you lose your system in an epic power crash where your machines no longer function due to the solar flares, zombies, or the reincarnation of the buddha or some other such ridiculous event, you will still need to know how to do this blockout manually. you know, so the zombies can get proper dental coverage.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
yes you can let the software do the work, but should you ?

all my experience leads me to say no. you shouldnt let it.

here are my reasons why.

1. you will have turnover of staff; new staff will take some time to adjust to get good at making models, or get good at design (depending where your turnover happens),so you will need to hold their hand with wax touchups of the die.

2. you will have terrible doctors. everyone does. some need a bit more help than others, and the software isnt always smart enough to do it right. this leads me to 3

3. it doesnt always do it right. it will try to block out what it can but certain bridges just can't be digitally done unless you are me, or sevan, or Kent.

4. if you lose your system in an epic power crash where your machines no longer function due to the solar flares, zombies, or the reincarnation of the buddha or some other such ridiculous event, you will still need to know how to do this blockout manually. you know, so the zombies can get proper dental coverage.

#4 :D :D

Monkey w/ a tourch

Monkey w/ a tourch

Reaction score
the only thing i block out is the access hole on a custom abutment if we are designing a cemented crown on it.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I block out all that drabble from the exo cabal.

user name

user name

Reaction score
We have a 3 shape scanner. Is there any reason to block out the die before scanning? I was under the impression that the software would automatically block out any undercuts.
I do sometimes block out with wax. When you change insertion direction, you also change the undercuts.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I block out with wax when needed. I'm a Timex man in a digital . Its just easier for me. I can scan quicker with my hands and eye than I can on screen.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
That's why I am home by 430 most days :) I have resisted that work fridge my entire career :)
Work fridge full of beer just makes you live at your lab. Id rather have my thirst drive my productivity.
I also save money because I hate stopping so I never end up buying beer, and my local grocery doesn't carry much on the great beer scale. Although I get that 3 oclock feeling, by the time I get to my car I just want to see my daughter.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
[...] by the time I get to my car I just want to see my daughter.
Makes my day to see that in a post. After it's all said and done, 10 minutes after your heart stops, the teeth are just about the least important thing we did.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
We all like to do our best but I'm pretty sure the patient you busted your butt for and missed that recital won't be thinking how nice that was of you when they are on their death bed. But, your child will remember if you were there when you are on yours. Just saying.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I took the little girl and missus to a brewery last night lol. Tivia night there must of been 20 kids there under 4.

Top Bottom