To Etch or Not to Etch

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
So I've got a zirconia Maryland Bridge coming up. I'm trying to decide if it's worth ordering an etching product made specifically for zirconia. Link is: http://rhsupplies.com/rhm/products-2/laboratory-professional/zircose-e-etching/. I've never tried this product and don't know what it costs. With the newer bonding resins such as those offered by Bisco, I don't know if it would be worth it to etch this or not. I think the Bisco bonding resins have a chemical bond anyway. What has been your experience with bonding on zirconia Maryland Bridges?

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Before you build up your porcelain. Spray the intaglio of the wings with a high fusing spray glaze. When your done with porcelain. Etch the wings for a minute.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
If I could avoid it I'd never make another MD bridge from any material. If etching zirc is possible and increases the chance of success, even slightly, I'd try it.

Last edited:
PDC

PDC

Reaction score
If I could avoid it I'd never make another MD bridge from any material. If etching is possible and increases the chance of success, even slightly, I'd try it.

I don't like doing them either. For some reason I've gotten 2 in the last couple of weeks. Ended up doing the first one out of metal after the zirconia frame warped during sintering. Hopefully, this one won't warp. If I can get the zirconia option working and bonding properly then maybe, just maybe, it might change my perspective. It would be a nice replacement for metal based MB's.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
If we could find out who came up with the whole Maryland bridge idea, we should organize a visit.

Dude owes us at least a barbeque to apologize.
If I ever meet the inventor of veneers.....Boxing

Really beautiful restorations under the right indications.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I make my md bridges out of emax . My design works.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I don't offer MB in zirconia, but in zirconia crowns I create horizontal lines inside unsintered zirconia to enhance bonding especially on short preps.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
The one with the inlayed wings?
I get asked to do MD bridges most commonly when the patient has congenitally missing laterals, doesn't want to wear a flipper but is too young for implants, or occasionally when there isn't sufficient bone for an implant.
Cutting those kind of inlays on young healthy teeth is a non-starter, the dentists I've discussed it with want no part of it.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score

I've done several out of Emax also and they are still functioning. If I can get a case with a bite that will allow for it I have no problem doing it out of Emax.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Before you build up your porcelain. Spray the intaglio of the wings with a high fusing spray glaze. When your done with porcelain. Etch the wings for a minute.

I think this sounds like it may be the best alternative.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
single wing i hope. teeth are mobile so if you bond to two mobile teeth....its only a matter of time.