To Etch or Not to Etch

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
If I ever meet the inventor of veneers.....Boxing

Really beautiful restorations under the right indications.

Clarification of "the right indications":

1) They never go into the mouth.
2) You notify the doctor in advance that they will fail
3) If they violate #1, there is no warranty of any kind.

But hey, they preserve tooth structure until they fail, and they look great!

Seriously, has anyone any real data on the various zr etch products out there?

Last edited:
eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
we've do quite a few MD bridges a year and almost always insist on e.max -

the few we've done in zirconia always were posterior units and the wings were more like rest seats.

Any bit of "etching" helps.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I found this article which gives me hope. I am experimenting with some Tri-Dynamics gel (9.5% HF). I am going to leave it on for 24 hrs and see if I can tell a difference in the surface.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24492116
i have the TriDynamics etch gel. i let it sit on a zirc test crown for a weekend. noticed no change. sandblasting with light pressure shows more "etching" on the surface than the acid does.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
A while back- maybe a year someone posted about a zr etch gel, but I never heard anything more.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
i have the TriDynamics etch gel. i let it sit on a zirc test crown for a weekend. noticed no change. sandblasting with light pressure shows more "etching" on the surface than the acid does.

Maybe I'll try a jackhammer!

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
We have been using the Zircose E etching liquid for about 6 months now. All our zirconia gets etched before porcelain is applied or full contour before stain and glaze. Studies show 25% better bonding strength for bonding, porcelain adhesion and glaze adhesion. It is somewhat expensive but we charge $9 per unit for the process. You must take extreme precautions using it, it is highly dangerous to handle and you must use their fume hood with extraction. Follow the protocal correctly and you get great results. I buy it from Nordenta here in Canada

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Here are some interesting studies on bond strength using various resins on sandblasted surfaces of pre and post sintered zirconia.

page4image2288

page4image13080

Juko

Juko

Reaction score
I am.congenitally missing my laterals. I have inlay prepped Emax md bridges. They've been bonded in place for almost 9 years now.

I also made a no prep one wing md bridge for a guy. The wing eventually broke however It stays in by itself and the guy eats with it. Omega?