Editing IO scans through Lab Software

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
In Blender you can mask parts of the object to prevent them from being modified while sculpting. So you import, set your safe zones, sculpt and then export.

This sounds like the "safer route". I haven't used Blender but this sounds good. In my mind the ideal program should allow the modification to be done with a different color to give it contrast against the model. And when it needs to be smoothed, the model underneath is left unchanged.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
This sounds like the "safer route". I haven't used Blender but this sounds good. In my mind the ideal program should allow the modification to be done with a different color to give it contrast against the model. And when it needs to be smoothed, the model underneath is left unchanged.

I'll try and toss together a tutorial tonight. Getting used to blender will take some effort so I hope in long run your cad is able to implement a solution where you never have to leave.

Best,
P

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score

Good Luck!

My Favorite Shortcuts:
SPACEBAR - bring up a search menu. This is your friend.
Shift + D - duplicate the object
Right Click - Selects objects (this is frustrating if you've never used it, you can change user preferences)
H - Hides objects
Alt H - Unhides everything
Middle Mouse - To Rotate the view and zoom (this is also frustrating if coming from a different environment)
Shift Middle Mouse - Pan/Slide the view
Shift + C - Recenters the view
5 - Make sure you are in Orthographic view mode instead of Persepective mode.
A - Select/Deselect All
TAB - To go into edit mode
Alt + B - Makes a border so you just see whats inside the box. hit Alt B again to bring everything back

Dali k

Dali k

Reaction score
it does, john. but fair warning fits especially in bridges with these divots in the preps will still need some help. generally adding slightly to these areas and then adding spacer will result in a more passive fit.
I think that some models milles from IO images are not milled with all the details on them, some time ago we had some itero cases done on the IO images and when we received the itero models they wont fit.
So I did a test and milled the dies myself with detailed strategy (0.5mm bur) in the zirkonzahn M1 and the result was perfect fit. So from now and on we dont realy care about those dies fit we grind the dies until the crowns fit,,, so far so good...

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I think that some models milles from IO images are not milled with all the details on them, some time ago we had some itero cases done on the IO images and when we received the itero models they wont fit.
So I did a test and milled the dies myself with detailed strategy (0.5mm bur) in the zirkonzahn M1 and the result was perfect fit. So from now and on we dont realy care about those dies fit we grind the dies until the crowns fit,,, so far so good...

Yes, this is the dilemma. When a bridge is milled from the IO scan and it doesn't fit the model, which is correct...the model or the IO scan? You can get lost in this digital world by not having control over some of the variables like models. I'm currently having issues with Itero and their bites. :mad:

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i can unequivocally and unabashedly state the IO scan will always be 100% always correct. the model when milled or printed will suffer from one of two conditions; either milled models will have remaining stock which the cutters were ill equipped to cut, or the printed models material will be slumped where it was not correctly supported or properly cured.

the IO scan will always be correct. the only way it won't be correct is if the actual hardware isn't accurately capturing an image for stitching.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
i can unequivocally and unabashedly state the IO scan will always be 100% always correct. the model when milled or printed will suffer from one of two conditions; either milled models will have remaining stock which the cutters were ill equipped to cut, or the printed models material will be slumped where it was not correctly supported or properly cured.

the IO scan will always be correct. the only way it won't be correct is if the actual hardware isn't accurately capturing an image for stitching.

So when you have a large zirconia bridge which has shrinkage factors to deal with, do you just go with it even if it doesn't fit a printed or milled model?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
first i would verify the accuracy of the model by scanning it and overlaying with the IO scan. then depending on the results we would proceed. if that means seeing the model is wrong and having to go model-free, then we'd take other steps.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score

Gosh really? So an Intra oral scan can never be distorted in anyway by the user unless the unit is faulty?
Must be a lot of faulty units out there.