Lab screws used in patients mouth.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
Dentist placed screw retained bridge in mouth with 3i Biomet implants. They torqued the lab screws in the patient's mouth instead of the gold screws. The dentist is now worried that the lab screws may break over time or break if any attempt is made to remove them.

I personally think that they should try removing the lab screws. Any advice on how to proceed?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I've had a few dolts do the same thing on screw retained bridges. As far as I know they are still in the mouth.
If it were me, I would remove the lab screws and use the gold-tite screws.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
I have a feeling that the dentist will just leave everything the way it is and hope nothing breaks.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
The gold screws are made to fail (break) if excess force is placed on them (instead of breaking the implant). The lab screws are actually a lot stronger and are more likely to break the implant before the screw fails. I would recommend to the doctor that he recall the patient (on grounds of a follow-up) and replace the lab screws with the proper gold screw.

PearlZ

PearlZ

Reaction score
or he is hording the gold to eventually sell for cash money.

so next time charge a gram of gold.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I have two cases that the doc used the lab screws to fix the abutments in place on Biomet cases. I no longer return the abutments with the lab screws. All they get are the gold screws.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
"Accident" lol probably a tight ass.

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
I have had more than one doctor use the lab screws and a couple have been in the mouth for several years. I have also had the correct screws back out. Either way, they should be changed to the correct gold screws.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Dentist placed screw retained bridge in mouth with 3i Biomet implants. They torqued the lab screws in the patient's mouth instead of the gold screws. The dentist is now worried that the lab screws may break over time or break if any attempt is made to remove them.

I personally think that they should try removing the lab screws. Any advice on how to proceed?
The gold screws are purportedlu designed with an elastomeric property so that after they are slightly streached at the proper torque level, they attempt to return to their previous unsteached size/length thereby clamping into the implants threads more suffiently than a harder lab screw. As Mr Coon also stated, the lab screws are rated to be used many many times and not break, whereas the goldtite screw is intended for one use ever to allow it the full designed effect on the securing of the abutment.

However, I've had to use the gold screw before in the lab on a Encode case, and seen lab screws used in the mouth. Leaving them in isn't neccesarily going to cause problems, but he *will* increase the percentage of chance of problems a few points. And the percentage over time will likely rise as the gold is intended to deform and adapt to the threads theoretically giving it total contact with the entire thread path and the lab screw is intended to be stronger and harder and therefor less adaptive resulting in an effectively smaller, smoother face between the screw and the mating screw threads.

One last consideration would be the warantee coverage of the restoration. Wrong screws = 3i says it's not our problem if anything goes pear shaped. They are nasty about this to the point that they will not even cover encode abutments made on quad models.

Sorry, brevity eludes me currently.
Edit:clarity

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

Oh, absolutely love the avatar.
END OF LINE