Name tags

Laura Sanders

Laura Sanders

Reaction score
How do some of y'all put name tags in dentures and What are y'all using? We use a clear self cure and simple label maker but noticed that the ink faded out after about a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Laser print on plastic labels ? Just thinking out loud here...

Laura Sanders

Laura Sanders

Reaction score
Yeah that's what we are using now.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I've used two methods and both used an old electric typewriter we kept around for this sole purpose.

1) least expensive method was to type the patient information on a piece of tissue paper (think cheapest form of Kleenex you can find with no lotions or anything). Cut that down and place into the denture. This can be place either during packing or later into a cavity on the lingual of the denture and filled with either self cure ortho material or clear light cured composite gel.

2) Similar method but we would buy a shrinkable plastic (remember old kids art project "Shrinky Dink" though there is a version available through suppliers but I don't remember the name) type on it and shrink it carefully with a heat source (heat gun or carefully over a flame) and place the same as above.

I'm sure there are better methods out there, but these worked well for me for years.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Inkjet printed on onion skin paper...but FWIW most dentures are lost or turfedinto the garbage unknowingly...That being said name tags do little to prevent loss. I do them sometimes to differentiate for the patient between old and new sets of teeth so they dont get them mixed up.

Laura Sanders

Laura Sanders

Reaction score
Patrick I remember now a time when I was just a kid, the lab tech using a typewriter and tissue paper. But the clear composite is a good idea. As I think it's the monomer in the self cure that is causing our ink to fade.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Not sure that there would be an actual requirement in the civilian world to put IDs in dentures, but it was a requirement for us when I was in the US Military. The main reasoning behind it was for those patients in community living arrangements (nursing homes, assisted living) it would ensure they had their denture and not someone else's (ewww).

Laura Sanders

Laura Sanders

Reaction score
Inkjet printed on onion skin paper...but FWIW most dentures are lost or turfedinto the garbage unknowingly...That being said name tags do little to prevent loss. I do them sometimes to differentiate for the patient between old and new sets of teeth so they dont get them mixed up.

I know that it doesn't prevent loss. The doc I work for requires them so I do them. I don't care why. I'm just looking for a better way.

Laura Sanders

Laura Sanders

Reaction score
Not sure that there would be an actual requirement in the civilian world to put IDs in dentures, but it was a requirement for us when I was in the US Military. The main reasoning behind it was for those patients in community living arrangements (nursing homes, assisted living) it would ensure they had their denture and not someone else's (ewww).

I had heard, and this could be completely wrong, but it was ether an Osha or hippa requirement here in Texas. We see allot of nursing home pt's and my doc insists.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Patrick I remember now a time when I was just a kid, the lab tech using a typewriter and tissue paper. But the clear composite is a good idea. As I think it's the monomer in the self cure that is causing our ink to fade.

Yeah, Laura, I'm showing my age. Although I was doing this only two years ago when I was still working for the Air Force as a civilian employee. I never had a problem with the monomer fading the ink though, and we saw our dentures back at least annually for cleaning, relines, repairs, etc.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
If I were doing this with a printer and onion paper, I would definitely use a laser printer over inkjet. An inkjet will run if it gets wet with water, so I would guess it would with monomer as well.

Laura Sanders

Laura Sanders

Reaction score
Wow. I guess I'll start utilizing the search option before I post in the future. Lol

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Actually, I find it easier to use Google than the search feature here on DLN. Don't tell Travis I said that.

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
I had heard, and this could be completely wrong, but it was ether an Osha or hippa requirement here in Texas.

I'm in Oklahoma and have always been told the same thing, to make sure our Texas docs had names in their dentures because it is a state requirement?

I use a Brother label maker (P-touch) and cold cure it in, haven't had any problems with it. I do remember a few years ago I bought some replacement tape for a different model and the monomer reacted instantly with it...what I get for trying to go the cheap route.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
The law says in Texas its the dentist responsibility that removable work is marked.

They can have the lab do it or do it themselves.

Its a standing order to put names or last four of the SS# in some dentists work and none for other Texas dentists.

Is this so they can wash dentures at the nursing home in one big bucket?Hmmmm2Laugh

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
Dymo label writer... with Triad light cure over it..
yes, first initial, last name is required in Texas..

it doesn't matter Tom... they all forget their names anyway

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Use inkjet printer/ white printer paper as the ink won't bleed like the laser does, and cover with clear ortho resin.

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
I use shrinky dink technique also. However, I put in toaster oven & shrink with flat metal weight ( about 1/2 oz) . After a couple of minutes I take out & cool . I then coat with crazy glue ( to protect ink),thin out back side if needed & then embed. Takes about 10 minutes, start to embed.