Printed models vs getting plastered

skdawl

skdawl

Reaction score
There are plenty of articles/ labs praising printed models and going model free entirely. My question is...when/how are printed models going to be more accurate? Also, I'm not entirely confident designing a crown digitally without checking contacts on a solid model is entirely reliable. Especially, when I think of a Dr having to adjust contacts on a FCZ. In your estimation, how long will we still be using gypsum for models vs. Printed?

skdawl

skdawl

Reaction score
Also, I want to hear your opinions of Medit vs. Maestro scanners. Plus, how good their technical support is. Thanks

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
it took us about 30-40 cases (compounded in the fact that this doc wants a lot of Layered cases) with one of our docs who uses a Trios, to nail down contacts, occlusion and fit. in this circumstance however, we begun going model free (for FCZ) about 2 dozen cases in, and have NOT gone model free for Layered ( it is impossible)

all within 4 months

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
There are plenty of articles/ labs praising printed models and going model free entirely. My question is...when/how are printed models going to be more accurate? Also, I'm not entirely confident designing a crown digitally without checking contacts on a solid model is entirely reliable. Especially, when I think of a Dr having to adjust contacts on a FCZ. In your estimation, how long will we still be using gypsum for models vs. Printed?
Printed models are awesome, but I think they have their limitations. I'm ready for the implant integration to get better than it is now. I believe the accuracy of the model reflects mostly on the equipment producing the model. I was really skeptical when we started to produce model-less crowns, but now I'm fully confident in the workflow. If you have a doctor that will give you the proper information and a good scan, it's easy as pie. Getting a crown to fit in the mouth without a model shouldn't be any different from scanning a poured model and designing the crown. With the cadcam technology in hand today, a crown should come straight out of the sintering furnace and fit perfect on the model. Dial that in and it will do the same in the mouth without a model. We try to keep the number of units down when doing model-less and not really a lot of anterior cases. Mainly because those are more esthetic and need that fine tuning that the mill may not do.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Mainly because those are more esthetic and need that fine tuning that the mill may not do.

this is where there are companies willing to bring new and interesting innovations in the materials and the milling; like Priti. a half-milled blank that you basically cut a margin on and don't touch its ready-made incisal anatomy. it comes pre-layered with nearly 0 requirement to add porcelain unless you either don't know how to do a correct contact or chip a margin or something. but 99% of the time, 0 requirement for this.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
The problems that I've seen personally is the material for printed models.

Over time, the material will actually shrink, bow, and actually expand.

And by over time, I mean from day to day. It has a direct link

with temperature and humidity I believe. I've printed some one inch cubes and taken

measurements over a 1 week period. The information we gathered really opened

our eyes on to how much temp and humidity really does affect the material. That being

said, from the time that you print the model, to the time it gets to the Dr.'s office,

the model could have changed. Being in the South where the humidity is high all of the time,

I'm sure you would see a difference out West where it's much less humid. The fact that the

models will change is scary, but the amount it actually changes is very small (1-5 microns). I will say that

it wasn't the actual model material we used for the test either, it was a different material.

Maybe someone with a 3510 MP could do a week long study maybe to test the model material.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
The problems that I've seen personally is the material for printed models.

Maybe someone with a 3510 MP could do a week long study maybe to test the model material.

I'm going to test that out and see what happens. Being in the south in this horrible humidity, if it's a factor, it'll show.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
We've been printing PearlStone on a 3DS MP3500 for about 18 months. Just started printing implant models using Core 3D analogs about a month ago. I'm pretty happy with the results, but I will not make anything longer than 3-units using these models. I don't know if its the distortion Kent describes in his post, or just a general polymerization shrinkage, but we did a couple of 6-units that didn't fit at all on the printed models. Had the same file milled via iTero, and everything was fine.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
We've done quite a few larger cases with the 3510 MP models without any issues. We haven't noticed that much of a change from the digital file to the printed model. Maintaining the model printer is such a big player in these printed models.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
we noticed a big change between Objet's High speed print, and High Quality print.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We've been printing PearlStone on a 3DS MP3500 for about 18 months. Just started printing implant models using Core 3D analogs about a month ago. I'm pretty happy with the results, but I will not make anything longer than 3-units using these models. I don't know if its the distortion Kent describes in his post, or just a general polymerization shrinkage, but we did a couple of 6-units that didn't fit at all on the printed models. Had the same file milled via iTero, and everything was fine.

Did you use the same core 3d analogs with the Itero models? I have my suspicions about those analogs.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
I have not used the analogs on iTero models. Not even sure that's possible? I have to correlate the scan body images in ModelBuilder - don't know of a way to get that file back to iTero. We are on our sixth case, and no issues to date. If I have any, I will post about it...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I had issues with the core 3d implant models .
I now use Argen models with NT trading analogs which screw lock into place and have had perfect results.
I think their material is similar to yours.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
ha ha, no, but seriously there is a significant quality difference between the two prints.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
ha ha, no, but seriously there is a significant quality difference between the two prints.

I can believe that!

I believe you know how I feel about the Objet Printers.

Last edited:
KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I'm going to test that out and see what happens. Being in the south in this horrible humidity, if it's a factor, it'll show.

Have them print out the test cube in the model material.

If you need the .STL I have it and can send it to you.

You can change the shrinkage factor in the software for

each batch of material to ensure superior fit.

Top Bottom