I'm Going Digital too

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Aftet months of browsing and navigating ebay scams, last week I bought a used Trios color pod and laptop on ebay. Tomorrow night it arrives and I find out if I got the deal of the year, or totally played. I will be documenting my adventures here, even if it means the public shame of falling for a scam. Thanks @CoolHandLuke and @rkm rdt for the behind the scenes support and I look forward to any tips, tricks and suprises yall may have to offer. I have 1 month of license remaining with the dongle which corresponds perfectly to when I start with a new practice sept 1.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Aftet months of browsing and navigating ebay scams, last week I bought a used Trios color pod and laptop on ebay. Tomorrow night it arrives and I find out if I got the deal of the year, or totally played. I will be documenting my adventures here, even if it means the public shame of falling for a scam. Thanks @CoolHandLuke and @rkm rdt for the behind the scenes support and I look forward to any tips, tricks and suprises yall may have to offer. I have 1 month of license remaining with the dongle which corresponds perfectly to when I start with a new practice sept 1.
Good luck on your new endeavor.

doug

doug

Reaction score
is that the unit that comes with Axocad?

CB93

CB93

Reaction score
Hey Pat! Good luck with the new equip and the new practice. I have the Trios and I love it. Not using my cerec blue cam (powder) as much anymore. Well, about half the time. We are doing lots of model-less FCZ and a few model-less custom abutments (Ti) along with the crowns. Getting great results. We convert the 3Shape files and design everything in exocad.
Cary

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
1. It arrived, undamaged and as described
2. I turned it on and calibrated it
3. Did a test scan on myself...not nearly as easy as thay guy on YouTube. You know who I'm talking about.
4. It quit scanning forsecond a second, I think I fogged the mirror.
5. I got my wife involved and scanned her. Had some trouble crossing the midline but I think that will come with practice. Way easier than self scanning

Attachments

• 20160809_204421.jpg
    20160809_204421.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 20160809_204437.jpg
    20160809_204437.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 127
dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Best wishes to you Pat......!!!!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Well at least it looks like a trios, so you didn't get scammed there. Practice makes perfect, you will need at least 50 scans under your belt before you get the hang of it really well. Try practicing on stone models as well.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Here is the full scoop on how I got this thing for anyone interested. It was listed on Ebay as "Wont turn on"." 1. I got dongle and serial number from seller, 2. Verified maintenance record through 3Shape 3. Called seller and offered to walk them through setting it up, calibrating and testing. 4. Calibrated and tested with seller via phone. Seller was agent that works for company which sells repossessed equipment and didn't know how to work it. Seller did test it with me over the phone and sent me photos of the calibration and test scan, it worked...so we made a deal. A very very good deal. No warranty, it may crap out tomorrow, so from that perspective a lot of risk, but definitely a great entry way to test the waters.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Here is the full scoop on how I got this thing for anyone interested. It was listed on Ebay as "Wont turn on"." 1. I got dongle and serial number from seller, 2. Verified maintenance record through 3Shape 3. Called seller and offered to walk them through setting it up, calibrating and testing. 4. Calibrated and tested with seller via phone. Seller was agent that works for company which sells repossessed equipment and didn't know how to work it. Seller did test it with me over the phone and sent me photos of the calibration and test scan, it worked...so we made a deal. A very very good deal. No warranty, it may crap out tomorrow, so from that perspective a lot of risk, but definitely a great entry way to test the waters.

I don't think it will crap out anytime soon, unless that thing was tossed around like a beach ball. Nice way to get a it.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
care to share the reseller name?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
repo company. so maybe if you're looking for a good deal on something next time, lookup a local repo man.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Well at least it looks like a trios, so you didn't get scammed there. Practice makes perfect, you will need at least 50 scans under your belt before you get the hang of it really well. Try practicing on stone models as well.

I don't think you need 50 scans to get the hang of a Trios. I find my new clients figure it out after scanning the lower.
I find when I scan a model I tend to rotate the model and hold the handle still. In the mouth it's the opposite.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I find when I scan a model I tend to rotate the model and hold the handle still. In the mouth it's the opposite.

Ask Crob to show you how to rotate the patients head the easy way...;)

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
repo company. so maybe if you're looking for a good deal on something next time, lookup a local repo man.
Repo_Man_CD_cover.jpg

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
circlejerks.jpg

Name the cheesy lounge band in the movie?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I got my mill setup from a repo guy. My question is, did it still have a valid license??

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
care to share the reseller name?

It's a company in California. They deal more with operator chairs/equipment and xray units so this was less familiar territory. Part of the deal was that we didn't get together for phone/testing until just a couple of hours before auction ended so...it was going to go for less than I paid. Basically a perfect storm of circumstances. I'll post ebay link when I get a chance.