New super trans zirconia

D

dentalboy

Reaction score
I have seen 2 types of very transparent zirconia of late both 600mpa approx but have same trans as emax.Has anybody tried them yet I would also like to hear some thoughts on their use also.when I say trans I mean way more than prettau bruxir and any of the others in that range.

New zirconia – same translucency as lithium disilicate
  • Particularly suited for the anterior tooth region
  • > 600 MPa
  • For single crowns, inlays, onlays, max. 3-unit bridges (fully anatomic or reduced)
  • Fully biocompatible
  • Sintering temperature: 1450°C
  • Blanks available in different heights
http://www.zirkonzahn.com/us/home/

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Bye bye eMax..... :p

Yeah, I think I might hold off on buying that other Pressing furnace...sorry Ivoclar. This material could cost Ivoclar big time. Of course they will probably buy the manufacturer, drive up the cost, and figure out a way to sell it chairside. :banghead:

ceram1

ceram1

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I might hold off on buying that other Pressing furnace...sorry Ivoclar. This material could cost Ivoclar big time. Of course they will probably buy the manufacturer, drive up the cost, and figure out a way to sell it chairside. :banghead:
Maybe this had something to do with the Weiland purchase. This is likely going to have many variations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
Maybe this had something to do with the Weiland purchase. This is likely going to have many variations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It may explain their latest "special" too. Time to unload some inventory, just in case.
6ume6aze.jpg

C

charles007

Reaction score
Don't hold your breath thinking emax sales will drop, after all emax still has a high profit margin. Once other emax knockoffs are released maybe emax ingots will drop in price to compete ? The way I look at it, the newer Fusion 600 zirconia and others to come like it will be just another product to sell with exciting zirconia hype in new sales ads.
I see this newer zirconia as a driving force to decrease sales in pfms, increased sales in FCZ, and increasing numbers of doctors going more metal free. Since some doctors and techs still have the mind-set that zirconia's hardness will wear down teeth, its going to be hard for this group to argue with a 600 Mpa zirconia and 200 MPa stronger than emax. I see this as a win win in the world of metal free monolithic materials.
The bigger question, will improved monolithic materials like Fusion and Vita's Suprinity like materials be the straw that breaks the camels back,,,, meaning, will fewer lab techs be needed with more in-house milling taking over using monolithic materials.
On Ivoclar, gossip says Wieland will have an improved Zenostar zirconia in the future and most of us already know about the new Select wet mill holding 48 emax cad blocks at lower block prices. But milling emax will always be a slow process and pressing is no where near being outdated. You can still press 3 emax crowns in less time than milling 1 cad unit. Maybe Ivoclar is trying to be more competitive with Zubler, Whip Mix ovens...

Last edited:
Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score

Certainly, an emax esthetic version of zirconia would take more of the emax market share.

However, the new translucent zirconias are not proven in the market yet so I would hedge your bets.

The issues are: Unproven reliability of these new materials which most likely have a higher yttria content and less tetragonal/cubic phase ratio. The esthetics are definitely improved but less than emax, quantification of this in a couple of months.

These new zirconia materials could take a couple of years or more to sort out before acceptance of the dental community.

A clear winner would be esthetics equal to or better than emax using high strength zirconia material. Same composition, same flexural strength greater than 900 MPA and same proven and documented reliability.

This zirconia material would be a clear winner and would have immediate acceptance of the dentists.

Why is this so difficult to achieve?

Ken

Last edited:
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Just tried a Cercon HT disk and kinda liked it ( except the price :rolleyes:)...not too far behind the emax material esthetics wise...

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
I think emax will always have a place in the market, for me at least, but I don't see it's share growing much if any more. Ivoclar has always had to walk a fine line between emax and Zr and that line is getting thinner and thinner. When my rep stops by I hear a lot about what's next for Zr and very little about emax. I think emax looks better especially in the anterior but from a production standpoint Zr flows a lot nicer through the lab for me. So if this new 600 mpa Zr really does compare to emax I won't have any problem transitioning to it for posteriors.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Certainly, an emax esthetic version of zirconia would take more of the emax market share.

However, the new translucent zirconias are not proven in the market yet so I would hedge your bets.

The issues are: Unproven reliability of these new materials which most likely have a higher yttria content and less tetragonal/cubic phase ratio. The esthetics are definitely improved but less than emax, quantification of this in a couple of months.

These new zirconia materials could take a couple of years or more to sort out before acceptance of the dental community.

A clear winner would be esthetics equal to or better than emax using high strength zirconia material. Same composition, same flexural strength greater than 900 MPA and same proven and documented reliability.

This zirconia material would be a clear winner and would have immediate acceptance of the dentists.

Why is this so difficult to achieve?

Ken

Someone told me it has already been thru years and years of testing Mr. Knapp. Long time actually!

3M is almost ready to launch. Your point is pointless at this point. LOL

Dentists will accept this immediatly. Thanks for your concerns though!

Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score
Someone told me it has already been thru years and years of testing Mr. Knapp. Long time actually!

3M is almost ready to launch. Your point is pointless at this point. LOL

Dentists will accept this immediatly. Thanks for your concerns though!

I don't know about your dentist.

My dentist clients are hesitant about this NEW material. They want to more about the clinical data and reliability.

ITS A DIFFERENT MATERIAL AND COMPOSITION.

I have serious doubts...... about your claim of YEARS and YEARS of testing. Maybe in accelerated testing years but not in years measured here on this earth.:)

Ken

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Same here Ken. My Doctors demand clinical testing on any material I use.

Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score
I don't know about your dentist.

My dentist clients are hesitant about this NEW material. They want to more about the clinical data and reliability.

ITS A DIFFERENT MATERIAL AND COMPOSITION.

I have serious doubts...... about your claim of YEARS and YEARS of testing. Maybe in accelerated testing years but not in years measured here on this earth.:)

Ken

Added note: Just checked with Sagemax about their new improved translucent material at 600 MPA to be released in the July time frame.

They run accelerated hydrothermal aging test on all of their zirconia to simulate long term reliability (20-30 years) in the oral environment. This test is an accelerated aging test that physically only takes a week or two at most.

But not actually YEARS and YEARS.

Monolithic zirconia hasn't been on the market for YEARS and YEARS.

Ken

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
god...eating popcorn on monday is so bad..

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
The person who told me invented and owns the patent for hybrid abutments.
He formed the Colorado state Dental Lab org.
Was very well respected at 3M as trainer for labs for a decade, and then moved to a major implant company.

Much more respect for him, then from you Ken. Sorry buddy!

He is more known and more respected than you x10 ! And so am I! LOL

Sorry I can't say his name, but if you knew anything you would already know who I am referring to.

Take your thoughts, opinions, Salt, and your stupid spectro-anal-i-zer and shove them where the sun don't shine.

I thought you said you know everything about Zr patents and found nothing about 600-700mpa zirconia? You don't know jack-5hit buddy! LOL

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
The person who told me invented and owns the patent for hybrid abutments.
He formed the Colorado state Dental Lab org.
Was very well respected at 3M as trainer for labs for a decade, and then moved to a major implant company.

Much more respect for him, then from you Ken. Sorry buddy!

He is more known and more respected than you x10 ! And so am I! LOL

Sorry I can't say his name, but if you knew anything you would already know who I am referring to.

Take your thoughts, opinions, Salt, and your stupid spectro-anal-i-zer and shove them where the sun don't shine.

I thought you said you know everything about Zr patents and found nothing about 600-700mpa zirconia? You don't know jack-5hit buddy! LOL

I just...don't...understand
Why are you the way you are? You have so much going for you as far as coming from an extremely important and rich family and knowing so very many important people and having so much money an what not and stuff.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Ok, I've done four different techniques with three different pre sinter stains on the non shaded fusion 600 material. I will update my findings in the morning fingers crossed.....