Zirconia Polishing

David S.

David S.

Reaction score
We have been making zirc crowns for a while now. The higher ups want us to start polishing the contacts so the porcelain dept doesn't have to glaze them and in turn make them too heavy. When we polish them we use a zirc polish wheel from Komet. It creates a mother of pearl look to them. I was wondering if anyone else is trying or are polishing zirc and what are the end results. If different from mother of pearl, what are you using?

L

labtek

Reaction score
I do not like the mother of pearl look so I apply insync glaze. and whenever we do rubber wheel and polish off the glaze the mother of pearl stands out and I have to go back and add more glaze material.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Edenta red diamond impregnated wheel works great.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
serious question, how long does it take you to hand polish a zr crown?

(I use Insync glaze. it's fast and barely adds any extra to contacts)

David S.

David S.

Reaction score
serious question, how long does it take you to hand polish a zr crown?

(I use Insync glaze. it's fast and barely adds any extra to contacts)
It takes seconds to polish the contact. We have some new techs in the ceramic and they want to eliminate the adding of glaze on the contacts.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
It takes seconds to polish the contact. We have some new techs in the ceramic and they want to eliminate the adding of glaze on the contacts.
so youre glazing everything except the contacts?

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I use insync as a glaze, but when I design my zr crowns on Exocad DB I input the inter proximal contacts 25 micron less than the 0 option. So when staining and glazing you end up with precise inter proximal contacts. After stain and glaze I polish the zirconia with( my own lab-made polishing paste). Which ends up with beautiful luster and vitality.

A

aqdental

Reaction score
I use insync as a glaze, but when I design my zr crowns on Exocad DB I input the inter proximal contacts 25 micron less than the 0 option. So when staining and glazing you end up with precise inter proximal contacts. After stain and glaze I polish the zirconia with( my own lab-made polishing paste). Which ends up with beautiful luster and vitality.
Recipe please :)

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
All the studies indicate that unpolished zr is highly abrasive to the opposing. Based on this, wouldn't it seem advisable to only s&g areas with no contact to the opposing? Or at least polish the occlusal before glazing? Of course it's easier to just glaze the surfaces, but when the glaze begins to chip away, (and most studies indicate it will) the opposing wear is significant.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I've been polishing before staining and glaze since before it was cool!
Obey Gru on this one everyone!

AltreX

AltreX

Reaction score
Feguramed zirkupol :/ or Fegupol and it will look and shine like a toilet

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Yep kinda goofy.
thats an interesting way of doing it....i found that the insync glaze adds so little that with proper design adjustments (which take little to no time at all),most crowns are adjustment free after glaze.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
All the studies indicate that unpolished zr is highly abrasive to the opposing. Based on this, wouldn't it seem advisable to only s&g areas with no contact to the opposing? Or at least polish the occlusal before glazing? Of course it's easier to just glaze the surfaces, but when the glaze begins to chip away, (and most studies indicate it will) the opposing wear is significant.
i wheel smooth all the crowns before glaze.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
We have been making zirc crowns for a while now. The higher ups want us to start polishing the contacts so the porcelain dept doesn't have to glaze them and in turn make them too heavy. When we polish them we use a zirc polish wheel from Komet. It creates a mother of pearl look to them. I was wondering if anyone else is trying or are polishing zirc and what are the end results. If different from mother of pearl, what are you using?
We've been using Zircon-Brite from DVA with a stiff brush wheel. It takes a few minutes to polish and has the mother of pearl finish.

G

greener1031

Reaction score
We've been using Zircon-Brite from DVA with a stiff brush wheel. It takes a few minutes to polish and has the mother of pearl finish.
+ on zircon brite. I use felt wheel instead of brush. usually looks pretty good some mother of pearl but not to bad

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
by the way it will take 45 days to deliver such items from ebayBanghead

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Sandpaper? Really?

HahahaYour scanner sucks man, get a 3 Shape

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
Sandpaper? Really?

HahahaYour scanner sucks man, get a 3 Shape

:D:D:D:D never judge before try.

my scanner is great and follow exactly the way i direct it and really has some great hidden features which is very useful to me... so why shall i pay double for something to ride me and direct me where ever it wants and shut down every year if i did not pay the slavery taxes. my scanner license expires 2020.

Top Bottom