STL files for research purpose

P

Prosthodontics

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am a Prosthodontic Resident in Australia who has just finished his clinical training and looking for a new project to do. Yesterday, I came across a brand new selective laser sintering machine by LayerWise in the Optics department of our University. It is apparently the only one amongst Australian Universities. The machine is setup as a research tool and it is not being utilised anywhere near it's full capacity. They have only printed a few things and no dental prostheses have been printed thus far.

We also have a DMG 5-axis milling machine (not the one specifically designed for dental as I saw in some other photos) that pretty much just sits there for a whole year and not being used. It hurts my head that these million dollar equipment just lies idle while we have a lot of applications of them in Prosthodontics/dentistry.

I would love to trial to investigate printing vs. milling of study casts, single crowns, tooth-supported FDP, RDP frameworks and an implant-supported full-arch framework. However, the problem is that we don't have any scanners like the 3shape nor any Exocad software where the equipment is being held.

I would appreciate if someone can share with me some of their STL files so I can trial the above and put the machine to good use. I know the equipment we have are capable of all dental applications.

The SDL files are not for commercial benefits except really to provide a test-run to see if the current setup is capable of supporting dental uses and hopefully gather some momentum for funding in future research.

Btw, I have attached a couple of images things that were printed and a stock photo of the Ultrasonic 5-axis milling machine that is not being utilised.

Cheers
10549898_10152765667506995_7877665076653133230_o.jpg
10608663_10152765663961995_2103928235394156165_o.jpg
10364198_10152765674896995_866490351536217637_n.jpg

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
*** or Labwa will hook ya up mate! welcome to the forum.

P

Prosthodontics

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for the advice mate. Been a long time lurker.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
*** or Labwa will hook ya up mate! welcome to the forum.
Thanks affinity.
I am in Perth but travel to Melbourne every few weeks for work. I will be over in a couple of weeks to do some work with another Pros so we could catch up and see what can be done with the machines.
Feel free to get in touch we can get some files together for you.
Lachlan.thompson at live dot com or 0401 414 159.
Lachlan

Last edited:
P

Prosthodontics

Reaction score
Hi Lachlan,

Interesting. I am actually from Perth originally. I did my undergrad training in UWA, worked in Kalgoorlie for 7 years. Did some of my Pros speciality training in Syd and just finishing in Adelaide. The gears are in Adelaide Uni. Thanks for the offer to help. May I ask what is your background?
Will email you direct. Thanks mate.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Lach is the go-to aussie cad man!