Stained flexible partial, best way to clean tough stains?

L

lobstermobster

Reaction score
Hey guys, a patient of mine has a flexible partial with significant black staining. She's not really sure what caused it. Claims no tobacco use. She's tried scrubbing it and soaking it in vinegar to no avail.

Do you know of anything else to try to clean stubborn flexible partial stains?

Thanks

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Hey guys, a patient of mine has a flexible partial with significant black staining. She's not really sure what caused it. Claims no tobacco use. She's tried scrubbing it and soaking it in vinegar to no avail.

Thanks
The "scrubbing" and vinegar is probably making the stains works. If you know what flexible material it is then I would call the manufacture and see what cleaner is safe for that brand, some have their own special cleaners.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score

Thanks
If the stains are around the gingiva, it is very hard to get them out. The reason for the is there is no chemical bonding between the teeth and the material. Other than that, use fine rubber points and you should fine with slow speed high shine.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
If the stains are around the gingiva, it is very hard to get them out. The reason for the is there is no chemical bonding between the teeth and the material. Other than that, use fine rubber points and you should fine with slow speed high shine.
This is the answer here. One of the many reasons why most people don't like flexible partials.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Even first question a year and half ago, no thanks, reply, or participation.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
Also they beat the gingiva to death...
Yeah, I have a patient who is super finicky, hated her metal frame and insisted on a flexible and she's dealing with this. We normally don't do flexibles so I had to make it at the old lab I worked at for her. Just had to say "yep.. they do that." She also refuses to take it out at night.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a patient who is super finicky, hated her metal frame and insisted on a flexible and she's dealing with this. We normally don't do flexibles so I had to make it at the old lab I worked at for her. Just had to say "yep.. they do that." She also refuses to take it out at night.
That's like sleeping with your shoes on. The tissue needs to rest. SMH

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
In lab, glass bead works pretty good and does not affect the material or polish but does not remove every stain. But that's in lab not for patient though.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
How
In lab, glass bead works pretty good and does not affect the material or polish but does not remove every stain. But that's in lab not for patient though.
Does the glass beads reach between the tooth and the denture base where the scum actually is? This is basically the black ring on porcelain dentures.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
How

Does the glass beads reach between the tooth and the denture base where the scum actually is? This is basically the black ring on porcelain dentures.
It does but like I mentioned some stains will not be removed for whatever reason.

model guy

model guy

Donator
Reaction score
I had an old school doctor. He was a technician that became a dentist. He used to swab every patient and grow cultures to see if they would develop sulfur producing bacteria. Only mentioning this because he told me that’s why nightguards would turn black.

Top Bottom