Rapid Flask

T

twaite

Reaction score
i have read about and seen online that some people use this stuff called rapid flask from whipmix when doing the second pour while flasking a denture. I decided to buy some here for the lab and give it a try to see how it works. I mixed it accorded to the directions and poured it into the flask, was a lot different than using just regular stone. After breaking it out after processing the denture came out just about flawless. all the detail we put into the waxing was 100% preserved. But I still ended up with about 3-4 small bubbles in the finished denture. So now my question is did I do something wrong that caused the bubbles to form? seems like the way its advertised there wouldnt be any issues like that. also curious if anyone else uses this stuff and if you have any tips or tricks to using it.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Was wondering if you had any leakage problems filling the flask. I have read that some sort of band is necessary to prevent leakage. Otherwise I think this product holds much promise. I want to try it myself.
Wondering if you vacuumixed it.

K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
if you call whipmix they will send you a sample (enough for two or three flasks) and one of the bands. if your flasks are older like mine you will need the band. You measure,vacuspat,and pour into flask with no vibration. Super thin when its poured but very hard when set. Can't comment on the detail because i insulate the teeth.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
So the rubber band goes around the joint of the flask to try and seal the mating surfaces on old flasks?

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
So the rubber band goes around the joint of the flask to try and seal the mating surfaces on old flasks?
So what about the flat hollow back of a hanau or Atlas flask? Garrico Flask-it is the same material, I use it on flex cases 2nd layer, Use a little extra petroleum jelly on the mating surface works just fine. The detail is sharp & most separators seem to work very well with it. I haven't needed to but tried the shell blaster on some pieces and it works on the material.

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
I've never used this but have seen pics, the band has a rectangular block that fits the hollow at the back of the flask.

T

twaite

Reaction score
we got a band for free with our 3KG sample of rapid flask. didnt really seem like the band was all that important if your flasks are fairly new. ours are barely even used so only a tad bit seeped out. the band has a small foam block that goes over the hole on the backside of the hanau style flasks. whipmix wanted something like 20-25$ for three of the bands. they arent needed, you can use other mediums such as masking tape or wax to seal the flask. as far as the detail, we have processed 2-3 cases with the rapid flask and they come out looking as good as the wax up. its great stuff.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
You have sold me. I will get some and try it out on some cases soon. I like the idea of the investment being thin....May just do a two layer separated by those ivoclar papers....saving time and teeth.