Polka Dots

L

labdude

Reaction score
First lay on the background color. Next, poke holes in it with a (old bur hand held) bur right after applying the base color. Then apply the dot color,2 or 3 at a time, being careful not to catch air bubbles in the holes. If the dot is a powder color, put some clear liquid in first, then powder color. If dot is liquid color, put in liquid color first. Always start with liquid when placing the dots. Keep a small piece of wire handy for breaking bubbles if needed. If holes close up while processing other holes, just open them again with the bur.
Your first attemps may get thick, but will get thinner the more you do.

You can partly see in the first pic how I keep track of things. Note...Polka Dots are coded 51, Color of base is "U" colorof dots are " 7". Written on the model with ink pencil during prep.
polka dot.jpg polka dot 1.jpg

Last edited:
RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
Here is a video of my other method of polka dots. Finish the base color to just before the pumice stage then take a bur and grind hole in the acrylic. If you put a "clear coat" of clear acrylic under the color then you wont have to grind the hole all the way through. You run into possible problems when you grind through like i did in this video.

[YOUTUBE]_ZABbQDisLQ[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry for the shaky video I someone flim me. I had iMovie take some of it out, but it didnt get it all.

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
When I make my polka dots, I use a burr that is a mini mini egg burr that makes purfect little circles, I do my best not to grind through acrylic. One thing I do different is I mix up my dot colors up in a small mixing bowl and make a slurry, then slowly pour into holes. That has cut down on air bubbles for me.

just my 2cents
trisha

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
yeah Ive been skipping out on the premix for the dot colors. I need to get back to that, makes a better polka dot

orthodent

orthodent

Reaction score
You could also get construction paper, use a hole punch and set them in after one layer, then top off with clear.

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
that's what i do. i use the paper for scrap booking, and diffrent hole punches.
it works for watermellon seeds and lady bug spots as well. :)
michelle

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
What does the word polka mean? I know its a type of music but how did the word come to mean a series of dots in close relation to each other hmmm? :questionmark:

Anyways my method:
Powder
tap tap
liquid
tap tap
powder.

rarely do I get bubbles

Oh BTW I posted my polka dot designs in my album!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom