Polishing Clear PMMA

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
When polishing PMMA on the lath, its most definitely difficult to polish internally in some instances.
I usually polish what I can and blow some glass beads internally. This usually suffices, but it could be better.
Like the outside, so shiny and translucent.
Any tips,
what are you using to polish the unreachable insides of Clear PMMA, stents, guards, trays, etc...

Thx.

PS
I knew this guy once whos only part time job was to polish all the outgoing PFM's exposed metal collars, rests, etc...
Would you know it, he was polish.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
John Wilson I believe is correct I spend to much time doing what I do, but I want it pretty.
I survey & duplicate using a vaxmixer to insure no bubbles in processing model for splints. When duplicating the model I very lightly spray the master model with Smoothon Universal Mold Release Release Agents and Sealants for Urethane and Silicone by Smooth-On so the duplicate processing model will start with a shiny surface. After mounting and before waxing the brux I dry at 100*c 5 min and apply the APS from DVA .APS Acrylic & Plaster Separator | Dental Ventures after flasking I sometimes lightly reapply DVA "Acrylic Plaster Separator" if I see dry spot. After processing I have a smooth inside to start with.
If I do need to touch up I use the 3M disk (mint greens works best) Santa Fe Jewelers Supply - 3M� Radial Bristle Disc 3/4" If more is needed I use CDM Fine Scratch Remover. But I use that to shine the outside as well.CDM Dental Fine Scratch Remover and Clean & Shine, Flexible Partial Material+DurAcetal I don't know how shiny you need it though.

oldrepair.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
i wouldn't suggest trying to "polish" the inside.

buy yourself a bottle of mineral oil from your local drug store.
give it a shake, take the lid off and put the lid on the counter. oil side up.
use a little paint brush about 4-5 mm wide and touch it to the inside of the lid where the oil is.

this will give you the tiny bit of oil that you need. apply to the underside of the appliance with a super light coat.
blow it out with your air hose.

not perfect but clear like ice.
this works out nice for the initial presentation to the patients. i have found this is really all you need. as soon as they start chewing on it, it is going to get all buggered up and cloudy anyways.

or .. you could find some clear light cure shellac.
paint that on the underside and cure.
but ,, i havent found any thats really very clear. they always have a slight yellow tint.

good luck.

NGclear.jpg
NGclear.jpg

Last edited:
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Very nice suggestions fellers! Thanks so much.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Wave a cigarette lighter under it?

This works for my bent and discolored moto-x bike plastics, or most resins.

Quicky flame job? Or a heat gun?

Top Bottom