Ortho Practical Test

precisionortho

precisionortho

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am preparing to take my practical test in orthodontics to obtain my CDT in November. For one of the appliances I need to band the lower first molars. I have alwys received bands with the impressions whenever I have fabricated a fixed appliance. Does anyone know if I can seat pre-formed bands on the model? If not, how do they want the bands to be fitted. I have tried asking NBC but have not gotten anywhere. Thanks.

JEmirzian

JEmirzian

Reaction score
Hey there Dave.....Glad your on board. By the way, do you know what a tooth prep is?

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
I believe that when I took the Ortho CDT test, I used preformed bands. Do NOT seat them until you get there. The Ortho CDT practical is the only specialty practical that does not have any prep work before hand. You just show up with your models with nothing done to them.( Unless they have changed the rules since 2003). I just used a saw and knife to prep the tooth.
Hope that answers your question.

Tip: My Ortho specialty teacher in lab school made us write down what we will be doing every minute of the 5 hours test.
Example:
0-5 min.: Bend upper Labial bow
5-10 min: Bend Upper Left Adams clasp.
10-15 min: Bend other adams clasp

Then he made us stick to the schedule we made in a mock 5 hour test. It really showed how much time we were wasting and taught us smart multitasking. I was able to set an easy-going pace with 30 min. to spare. BTW if you do make a schedule have yourself finish at 4hrs 30min, to compensate for Murphys law.:)

Cade