Noritake EX3 grey/chroma problem

S

saltydoc

Reaction score
I'm having problems with a high chroma pfm implant crown. The hue is correct but it appears grey even with the "n" shade A1. I'm thinking about mixing opaque and body but not sure to what percentages or doing a NW 0.5 (~A0.5) and staining down. The natural teeth have very little translucency except for some on the incisal edge and most of the color seems to be on the surface.

As a note: The teeth are a little dehydrated in the photo so the value is a little off and there are no white spots initially. Also, I have polished off (heavily) all stains that's why it has the marbled look.

Any tips would be of great value.

Attachments

• IMG_2373.JPG
    IMG_2373.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 112
dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Saltydoc, if the teeth are dehydrated then you'll have to increase the chroma of the crown. Since the dehydrated teeth appear lighter, or higher in value than it does when properly hydrated make sure to properly hydrate when shade matching. Also the crown appears low in chroma, high in value compared to the canine and having an orange hue instead of yellow. Needs to be more reddish. Coincidentally increased chroma usually decreases the value, making them a bit grey. You may try layering a slightly orangish dentin and overlay using a whitish enamel.

Last edited:
G

Glassman

Reaction score
Talk your clients into taking the shade photos while they're waiting for the anesthetic to take effect.

S

saltydoc

Reaction score
dmonwaxa, you are correct I meant the natural teeth have a lot of chroma and the crown is lacking. I could also mix the "N" (high chroma) A1 with 0.5 and a orange luster/enamel. My only concern is that any enamel may make it look more gray.

I don't have any dentine modifers, I only have enamel ones. I guess this is where the internal stains would come in handy.

Here is another photo.

Attachments

• IMG_2548.JPG
    IMG_2548.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 90
dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
It's all good, I knew what you meant. Ok, make 5 test tabs, 2 orange in different chromas, 3 with netural or clear enamel with white stain mixed in in varying degrees of concentration, ex 1 measure, 2 measure, 3 measure. Mix well, make the 5 flat .5mm thick tabs using a spatula as former. Vibrate the porcelain on the spatula blade, blot, slide off on a firing pillow. Fire all 5 together. When cooled, put the modified tabs on top of the orange tabs with a drop of water or glaxe liquid In between....evaluate for you required shade, adjust if necessary, This should get you n the ball park.

Doug4DAL

Doug4DAL

Reaction score
You need to blend a transition layer to your incisal . mix a 50 - 50 body to incisal layer then incisal layer keeping a mamalon effect to incisal edge . hand polish with a natural glaze

Doug4DAL

Doug4DAL

Reaction score
Plus a little more texture to break up the light dispersion

The Veneer Guy

The Veneer Guy

Reaction score
Try a gradual od to 1/2 od + 1/2 dentin, to dentin, to 1/2 Dentin+1/2 enamel, to all enamel, and then segmentally layer trans with enamel and opals in the incisal 1/3rd