New Lab Magazine

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
- Read the article, he is training two people right now to help with models and billing.
Sounds like he is doing well.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Is this publication still around?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
No.
I talked with the owner, he stated that the demand wasn't high enough, that there was already enough lab magazines out there.....The advertisers/contributors were great he stated but the demand for the magazine wasn't enough to keep going with it's publication. It's to bad too, I liked it, it focused more on the business end of the lab where I believe we all could use some help from time to time versus the technical like most lab magazines are.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Thats too bad, I think the guy had a lot to offer our industry and enjoined the magazine a lot. I was following his blog for awhile as well and it had some good info,

Go check it out,

OPTIONS

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Publishing is difficult for anyone now... the newspapers are all going belly up, magazine subscriptions are dwindling. I think the only real hope will be a smooth transition to readers like kindle or ipad.

C

charles007

Reaction score
If anyone can contact the Options owner, I would gladly pay for their mag, or pay for an Online version........will miss it very much !

Charles

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Well by the time I get it out here y'all have exhausted all the topics.... happens with all my subscriptions.

J

Jane

Reaction score
Magazine

There is a new Dental Lab magazine out there. I just received a copy of a new magazine called "Options" Has some great articles in it and is free to dental labs.

When I click on Home it takes me to goDaddy implying the URL is available for sale. I am interested in the magazine but Google didn't bring anything up. Any suggestions?

J

Jane

Reaction score
Oops - read the rest of the posts - sorry. Must remember to check dates!!!!!

R

rabia

Reaction score
When I click on Home it takes me to goDaddy implying the URL is available for sale. I am interested in the magazine but Google didn't bring anything up. Any suggestions?

i thought i am the only one!!! till now i don't know how to get there :(

capickettcdt

capickettcdt

Reaction score
The magazine is real. I published a short bit on working with gypsums along with Emmons, Berger & Garland called Case Presentation: Model & Die in the July/August 2009 issue.
I have to tell you that it is tough to have articles ready on anything! Let alone High Res. Photots to show your work. those that have been through this know! If you are interested.....get ahold of Cassandra Corcoran;
[email protected]
www.thewritemessage.net
(703) 347-9778
She is a great editor and is looking for articles to have published, especially you removable guys!!

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Jim Poulliard was the publisher. He was formerly employed by LMT. Jim is a good guy, but the problem is, the manufacturers only have so much money to go around so they advertise where they have the best circulation (LMT, DLP, IDT) or the most qualified, high quality readers/buyers (JDT).

I am on the editorial board of a few of the magazines I mentioned and I peer review articles. As Craig said, there are not many people out there who can write. Some of the stuff I see looks like a 5 year old wrote it, and the good stuff is usually full of product placement and thinly veiled advertisements.

D

Daniela

Reaction score
Blog for "Options" was removed, link does not work. A phone number, anyone?

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Blog for "Options" was removed, link does not work. A phone number, anyone?

Last I spoke with Jim, this was the info:

[email protected]
860-485-0740

I loved the OPTIONS magazine. Jim ended up sending me all the back isssues that I missed. I loved that it focused on the business side of running the lab (my overall weak area). I gave him a few ideas for articles that ended up in the mag. I also thought he was a great writer.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Last I spoke with Jim, this was the info:

[email protected]
860-485-0740

I loved the OPTIONS magazine. Jim ended up sending me all the back isssues that I missed. I loved that it focused on the business side of running the lab (my overall weak area). I gave him a few ideas for articles that ended up in the mag. I also thought he was a great writer.

I couldn't agree more, and this flows over into the marketing thread and some of Mark Jackson's ideas (great suggestions btw). I wish more of the magazines out there would do more on this business side of our industry. I know Dr. Murphy would talk about it in the JDT but you don't see much in any other magazines, this is where I thought Jim had found his niche.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more, and this flows over into the marketing thread and some of Mark Jackson's ideas (great suggestions btw). I wish more of the magazines out there would do more on this business side of our industry. I know Dr. Murphy would talk about it in the JDT but you don't see much in any other magazines, this is where I thought Jim had found his niche.

Rob, here is the problem. Most lab owners are technicians and not really business people. Go to Chicago, or any other city, and look at the lectures. The one that teaches how to to layer crowns will be standing room only.

The ones that focus on business will have three people in the room (Usually the biggest labs in town). Send letters to the editors and tell the how you feel! Ask for more business articles..They listen.

What this industry DOES NOT NEED is a better porcelain butt margin!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Rob, here is the problem. Most lab owners are technicians and not really business people. Go to Chicago, or any other city, and look at the lectures. The one that teaches how to to layer crowns will be standing room only.

The ones that focus on business will have three people in the room (Usually the biggest labs in town). Send letters to the editors and tell the how you feel! Ask for more business articles..They listen.

What this industry DOES NOT NEED is a better porcelain butt margin!

Amen to that......
"There is one rule for industrialists and that is: make the best quality goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wages possible." Henry Ford

Top Bottom