Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
Documented Cases of Lead Contamination in
Off Shore Dental Laboratory Restorations

Feb. 26, 2008

Recently, NADL was contacted by a dental patient in Ohio who has documentation of lead contamination in her dental restoration. The affected patient, a senior citizen, received a three-unit dental bridge from a dentist in Ohio. After having an adverse reaction to her dental work, and having it removed, the dentist disclosed that the prescription was sent to an offshore dental laboratory and disclosed to the patient that the restoration was made in China. The patient then had the restoration sent to a chemical laboratory for analysis. The documentation of the dental material analysis of this patient’s restoration showed unsafe levels of lead in the porcelain on the restoration.

This case has attracted the attention of an Ohio television reporter who was already working on a story about offshore dental laboratory work. As part of the reporter’s investigative research for the story, the TV station ordered a series of crowns from several offshore dental laboratories. One of those restorations contained 210 parts per million of lead in the materials. The U.S. Congress, in response to the toy recalls in 2007, lowered the acceptable levels of lead in toys to 90 parts per million.

The testing of these restorations for the reporter’s investigation was conducted by a chemical research laboratory in Ohio and, at the suggestion of NADL, at the Boston University School of Dental Medicine. In addition to the documentation of lead, the chemical analysis revealed the restoration contains traces of radioactive isotopes.

The reporter contacted NADL and interviewed co-executive director, Bennett Napier, CAE, for this story. Others interviewed include the attorney for the patient in Ohio; a lead expert; a spokesperson from the Ohio Dental Board, a Columbus dentist and laboratory owners from central Ohio. The TV report contains position statements or quotes from the American Dental Association and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

WBNS 10 TV in Columbus, Ohio, will broadcast this story Wednesday. You can view the full investigative report Wednesday evening at the station’s Web site WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio's News Leader. The owners of the regional television station also own the Columbus Dispatch, the local daily newspaper. An article about the story will be run in that paper’s Thursday, February 28th edition.

It is likely that with the significance of this story it may be picked up by other media outlets in large metropolitan areas by the end of this week and possibly may be picked by national news media outlets as well.

NADL’s Position:

NADL has worked with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to promote patient safety and ensure laboratories have a voice in any regulation of the industry. NADL is on record supporting regulations that assure patients their restorations are safe for use, regardless of where they are manufactured. NADL’s position has been presented consistently to the American Dental Association since 2003.

The National Association of Dental Laboratories believes that every dental patient has a reasonable expectation that the dental restoration placed in his or her mouth is safe, regardless of where it is manufactured. Therefore, in an attempt to provide the necessary documentation for disclosure as well as to document competency, the NADL strongly supports the following:
· The necessity of at least one Certified Dental Technician (CDT) in each dental laboratory.
· The necessity that all dental laboratories register with either the U.S. Food and Drug Administration or an appropriate state governmental agency.
· The written documentation of all materials included in a final restoration and the point of origin (country and laboratory) where the restoration was manufactured.
· The necessity that each of these items be documented in the patient’s record.

Additional Information:

NADL informed the American Dental Association’s executive leadership so they could tell their members about this pending story and possible outcomes including the public’s response.

The ADA will be sending out an alert to its members this week sharing guidance about what questions to ask dental laboratories relative to outsourcing activity and statements of assurance on material content of dental restorations. NADL member’s laboratories should be prepared for such requests.

Additionally, it is expected that state dental societies will be discussing possible regulatory options to address this issue at the state level in state dental practice acts. State dental societies may be contacting your state’s dental laboratory association about possible collaborative efforts or to seek additional information. NADL members are encouraged to share NADL’s model bill for state regulation with state dental societies or inquiring dental clients that may request a template for state regulation. Members of the laboratory industry may download this document from NADL’s Web page at National Association of Dental Laboratories NADL - (800)950-1150.

Dental laboratories should be prepared for increased calls from your dental clients and possibly local media outlets during the next few weeks as this news story circulates the country. NADL will be providing up-to-date guidance documents to our members on the member section of our Web site National Association of Dental Laboratories NADL - (800)950-1150 to assist you when answering questions. We are committed to keeping our members well informed and prepared.

Sincerely,

NADL Board of Directors and Executive Staff

325 John Knox Road, L103
Tallahassee, FL 32303
800/950-1150 Phone
National Association of Dental Laboratories NADL - (800)950-1150

NADL
325 John Knox Rd L103
Tallahassee, FL 32303
phone: (800) 950-1150
fax: (850) 222-0053
Website - National Association of Dental Laboratories NADL - (800)950-1150

If you would prefer not to receive further messages from this sender,
please click on the following Internet link and confirm your request:
Click here for www link -or-
Click here for e-mail
You will receive one additional e-mail message confirming your removal.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
It finally happened! This message will be the beginning of a new era!!!!!!!!!!!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I knew this was coming, and to be honest, I'm sorry for the patient, but absolutely knew it was going to happen. I'll post this on dentaltown, hope you boys/gals are ready for more work.

Nevermind, it's already spread like wildfire over there......butts are puckering.....lol

Last edited:
C

clearH2O

Reaction score
$29.00 Np with free lead Crown made in free lead country

It finally happened! This message will be the beginning of a new era!!!!!!!!!!!

lead in crown? No way. Lead country spokesperson said.

Yes, we found lead in crown made in your country. American dental patient confirms.

Of course they are lead-free. The lead is free!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Foreign Dental Work Put To Test
Feb 27 2008 5:52PM
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Chris Collier has been a patient of Dr. Dave Rummel for 30 years.

When it comes to teeth, Collier is more concerned about his health than his smile.

"The reason I come here is because I know I can trust the dentist I have," Collier said. "I know I can get good workmanship."

Rummel is one of the few dentists in central Ohio who makes his own crowns, bridges and dentures, but most other dentists rely on outside dental labs, 10 Investigates' Lindsey Seavert reported.

The labs can be down the street or even overseas, increasingly outsourcing work to India, Mexico and China. Chinese imports, like jewelry and toys, have been under heavy scrutiny for the last year because of lead concerns.

The dental community is concerned that unsafe metals have reached their industry, too.

"It's one thing if it's a toy a child plays with for 20 minutes. It's another thing if it is somebody's mouth for a lifetime," Rummel said. "There is an issue here."

10 Investigates obtained a letter from the National Association of Dental Laboratories that outlined the concerns. The organization told the Food and Drug Administration that outsourcing would increase because dental work created overseas is cheaper.

Even more of a concern is that dental labs or mostly "mom and pop" shops are unregulated in Ohio and 46 other states. Because of that, labs can outsource and no one may ever know, Seavert reported.

"Currently, laboratories that are outsourcing work overseas are required to disclose that to their dentist through existing FDA regulations but that is where it stops," said Bennett Napier of the NADL. "That disclosure does not have to pass on to the patient."

10 Investigates learned the deception goes one step further. Sometimes labs don't tell dentists, leaving them to unknowingly place foreign products in patient's mouths.

In the U.S., the materials in dental work are FDA approved. It is supposed to be that way in foreign countries but the FDA has no way to enforce it, Seavert reported.

The NADL said the FDA approached them first in 2004 and then in 2007, concerned about the increasing number of imported dental devices passing U.S. borders and acknowledged the need to better enforce dental lab regulations.

With millions of products and not enough manpower, the work crosses borders to places like Ravenna, Ohio. There, a 73-year-old woman hired a lawyer to sue her dentist. It began when she received a new dental bridge last year. The pain became so severe that she could not chew.

"She began to have some pretty significant complications and reactions and infection that stemmed from the restoration that ultimately had to be removed," Napier said.

The woman, who requested anonymity, told 10 Investigates that she later discovered her bridge was made in China. Worried, she had a lab test it for hazardous materials.

The lab determined that the porcelain filed away in her mouth contained lead. She has since undergone two surgeries, Seavert reported.

With 300 unregulated dental labs in Ohio and an estimated 7 million crowns coming into the country each year, 10 Investigates wondered how much a threat lead is in outsourced dental work.

We ordered eight crowns from four labs in China that advertise in industry magazines. With help from Rummel's lab, we received our product 10 days later.

Only one lab identified materials in the crowns. 10 Investigates first used a device that screens for lead. Of the eight, one crown came up positive.

We sent our sample to a Cleveland lab - NSL Analytics - to provide scientific proof. They specialize in testing metals and began by separating the porcelain from the metal.

The crown is diluted in a test tube that becomes a solution chemists test for lead. The machines give an instant reading of lead. 10 Investigates' results came back at 210 parts per million. The Ravenna woman's bridge measured 160 parts per million.

"We don't know what the FDA or the American Dental Association considers to be a risk as far as lead content," said Carm D'Agostino, a chemist.

With no known research on lead in dental work, the lab can only compare to toy standards.

Toys leaching lead over 90 parts per million are hazardous, so what about 210 parts per million in your mouth?

"I guess that tells me I need to be a little bit more concerned about other potential sources of lead," said Dr. Marcel Casavant, who runs central Ohio's lead program and poison control center. "I never would have guessed somebody would have put lead into a piece or a part installed into a human being."

Casavant said adults can live with lead poisoning for years and not know it.

"The symptoms are what we call non-specific - a little ache or a pain - abnormal bowel function," Casavant said.

Even high blood pressure and kidney trouble could be symptoms, according to Casavant.

He said he would never link lead poisoning to dental work but would have to add it to his list of questions when asking people what kind of dental work has occurred.

The NADL said that 10 Investigates' findings prove that the FDA needs to do more.

"It reinforces the concerns we have as an industry and concerns the FDA expressed to us that the potential is there," Napier said.

The NADL letter asks the FDA to track dental work from foreign labs to patient records. They want the FDA to register all labs, require them to disclose where they get their dental work and label what materials are in it.

The Ohio Dental Board admitted that is not sure what is happening in the state's roughly 300 labs and has no plans to regulate them. Lili Reitz, the director of Ohio's dental board, said the burden relies on the dentist.

"Ignorance is not a defense when you are ultimately responsible for what is going into the mouths of the patients that you serve," Reitz said.

Rummel said that 10 Investigates' lead findings only prove outsourcing comes with a risk.

"If a medical device is made out of a foreign country, I think the patient should know," Rummel said.

He recommends that people ask their dentist where their work is made.

"I think you can't really get something for nothing and I think (if) we start going down that road, we all suffer," Rummel said.

In response to our story, the Ohio Dental Board on Wednesday adopted a recommendation to the dentists they regulate.

They are asking dentists to give labs a form that would require the labs to disclose where their dental work is made.

On a federal level, 10 Investigates has asked the FDA for a response to our findings for the past two months.

On Wednesday, they told us that they are reviewing our report and developing a strategy to address our findings on all imported dental devices.

The Ohio Dental Association said that it would require their members to fill out the form in hopes of giving it a better idea of how many labs are outsourcing.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Rob,
You or anybody, help me out here. I used to be able to copy and paste a web address, and have it "clickable" in a post. Maybe I'm doing soemthing wrong???
Maybe that thing is Vista?? Vista sucks for sure, is this my problem??
What I do is highlight the address, do a control "C", to copy. Then a control "V" to attach to a post. It comes up o.k. but the person would have to type it all in to get to the address. I really want to share this video elsewhere.
Mike.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
With toothpaste, dogfood, jewelry and toys all being contaminated by lead and carcinogenic/radioactive isotopes, it was not a matter of IF it was going to hit the dental lab industry, but WHEN it was going to happen. Watch this matter really hit the National scene in relatively quick time. Bottom line is this is a medical industry that needs strict quality standards. Currently there are really none in place. As Travis stated earlier, this IS a beginning of a new era.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Mike, just right click the the web address (it should highlight the whole thing for you),then scroll down and select copy. Then you can paste it anywhere. Hope that helps ya brother.........and you're so right......vista blows.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
With toothpaste, dogfood, jewelry and toys all being contaminated by lead and carcinogenic/radioactive isotopes, it was not a matter of IF it was going to hit the dental lab industry, but WHEN it was going to happen. Watch this matter really hit the National scene in relatively quick time. Bottom line is this is a medical industry that needs strict quality standards. Currently there are really none in place. As Travis stated earlier, this IS a beginning of a new era.

Beginning of a new era, Travis my friend, you may have nailed it, look how fast this is spreading on the internet, newspapers, and other TV stations.

Dental work may contain lead from China | News | CW2 Colorado | KWGN-TV

Report: Imported Dental Products Contaminated with Lead, Victim Confirmed: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

The Columbus Dispatch : Lead might be lurking in dental work

Lead in Dental Implants, Crowns, Dentures, & Braces? - Topix

Board revises recommendations after report shows lead in crown - Examiner.com

Dental Economics-Dental News - Outsourcing dental lab work offshore being investigated

Investor's Business Daily: Breaking News

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Rob,
Thanks for the help!
Must be a Vista thing. I get the same result useing copy and paste.
This has got me really frustrated.
Mike.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
Well. This news has went NATIONAL. It hit FOX today and I heard the other majors will be picking it up soon after.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Yeah I heard about this too, Major networks are picking up on the story, noticed some guy in a big lab was getting interviewed for a upcoming story by one of three mainstream media networks.

P

PearGirl

Reaction score
It's about time!

I am thrilled that this hit the news finally, but am disappointed that the story is kind of implying that the dentists do not know that they are shipped overseas. I find that hard to believe. Anyone else see a problem with that? These guys know when they are paying $39 for a crown that it is made in China and of cheap materials.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
Oh they know, they can't deny they don't either, if they can tell us what series is the best on a BMW, they sure in the hell can't play possum when they get sued.

Your exactly right LabGuy!! You bet the dentists know where this work is coming from but they dont care. They are the ones making the huge profits. Insurance companies and patients are still paying full fees to the dentists even though they are paying $39 a unit. They are the ones that are getting richer without having to give any disclosure to the patients (where the restorations were made).

P

PearGirl

Reaction score
They know!

Yes, the dentists know...the news story makes it out like the labs are at fault for outsourcing behind the dentists back, but the dentists knows exactly what he/she is doing. It's all about profit, and the small quality labs like mine, and i'm sure some of yours speaking here, are suffering. Having to keep my prices so low to compete with outsourcing, I am not making enough to live on, and I can't get a job at a lab because the best salry I can find is about $15 an hour, for 17 years of knowledge! The dentists need to start putting the patients first, not their wallets.

Top Bottom