Microwave sintering

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Whilst having a random google on the web I came across a company selling microwave sintering ovens that they claim can sinter zirconia units in about 90 minutes and as a bonus produce harder/ better quality frameworks.

Anyone have any experience/knowledge of these?
I'm guessing they are very expensive at the moment?

Adam

M

murtonm

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the latest Ivoclar sintering furnace is a microwave furnace.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I've heard microwave sintering is better......also heard its not a good idea at ALL........What's the real truth ?
Is it beta testing on mass produced crowns ?
Any long term studies ?

P

paulg100

Reaction score
NO the Ivoclar oven is not a microwave sintering oven, just a standard oven with a more efficient muffle, can do 90 min sinter but only on single units.

There are other oven that do the 90 min thing out now also.

As for microwave sintering i think reliability was a big problem with these..

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I had a quick look at the Ivoclar S1 furnace, I think it's a conventional heating element furnace but with a quicker firing cycle.

here's a link to the microwave ones: Sintering Ovens - Dental Microwave Furnace

great if they work, expensive coffee reheater if they don't...

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
RUN, RUN, RUN like the wind!!!!

STAY AWAY from microwave sintering! Stay away from all means of accelerated sintering of zirconia. In tests we performed for Russell Giordano at Boston University, as part of a published study, strength was lowered by at least 20%. Opacity is reduced, and the units look chalky, and get burned spots from the pigment.

The oven are unreliable, particularly the ones you see on the internet, and distributed by the Crystal zirconia dude, Scott.

Stay Away

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
So, Nobody try it yet? maybe some new research?
i think its great to get 15 min sintering $))

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
I was just at a seminar this week and spoke at length with someone who used it. Single units only. Weaker in his opinion, not stronger. First two ovens were duds, third worked. 3 hours on his unit, not the 90 minutes he initially expected. Insulation breaks down more quickly than expected and has to be replaced. Obviously this is his personal experience. Can't remember who made his unit. Until there are solid studies proving microwave sintered zirconia is a good long term option, I'll wait.

Top Bottom