Korean Scanners

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
yeah but you drank the 3sheep koolaid a long time ago.

Laying in bed last night, I had one of those random out of nowhere thoughts hit me....thank goodness I choose 3Shape over Dental Wings.
I remember doing a TeamViewer session with CMC of both scanners and asking about the glitches in DW, and was told they hadn't been fixed yet and that I may want to side towards 3Shape. I believe this was before Exocad came out, or was in its infancy and wasn't a real popular yet in regards to multiple resellers?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
3shape used to be popular because it had quickly been adopted by people willing to pay any price for seamless easy to use software.

the new medit link for the i500 in tandem with exocad delivers an identical performance at a fraction of the price - a lesson learned over a dozen years of watching 3shape find its stagnation point and then copying the rollout.

3shape doesnt have many new ideas left and arent willing to be flexible. once exocad rolls out clear aligner software, its 100% apples to apples fair game comparison and 3shape won't have any advantages left to tout or flaunt.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The holes appear in the Medit link as do the artifacts.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
DOF has at least 5 options of scanners, and the ability to upgrade the camera on the HD to UHD if you choose in the future.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
then you have a teachable moment re: scan procedures. this is not typical of all the users of the scanner or software.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
3shape used to be popular because it had quickly been adopted by people willing to pay any price for seamless easy to use software.

then you have a teachable moment re: scan procedures. this is not typical of all the users of the scanner or software.
I agree with you . However there is still the larger market of drs that are not as tech savy as you would think.
I am reminded daily of this. I'm just trying to keep up and don't need more detective work to put food on my table.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
The Medit i500 is the most over hyped ios on the market.
Numerous bug fixes and poor graphics are just on the surface. Surface texture looks like the moon and the trimming feature sucks big time.
Thus you receive numerous holes and artifacts after post processing.
I get better scans from a Trios 1 and 2 which are still going strong. It's like comparing a Kia to a Mercedes.

You mean like this on a prep?
medit holes.png

It's more fun when they are on a margin. We are seeing it both on desktop and i500 scans.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You mean like this on a prep?
View attachment 37594

It's more fun when they are on a margin. We are seeing it both on desktop and i500 scans.
I see larger holes than that when I inspect the scans on Medit Link. I thought that the AI feature would close them during post processing.
I have received some sloppy scans from Trios, but not enough to prevent me from making a model.
I don't think Medit is less accurate by any means but the holes should be closed before exporting.

I wish someone would invent a magic wand.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience! I am starting to lean towards DoF. *just after one review >=)*
I also have the DOF HD. I’ve used a lot of scanners over the years and have compared the scans to those of the older medits. I haven’t messed with the new Medits. For my .02 I’d buy it again. I wouldn’t buy the UHD simply because I get what I think is needed from the HD. As has been mentioned, DOF has great scanner support & they don’t have an aneurism at the idea of a tech being able to open the box and swap parts. It’s all plug and play.

G

GHSDL

Reaction score
As of today there are no Medit Owned service center in the US as told to me. A number of resellers have limited ability to service Medit scanners but there are loaners. There are some resellers doing service work for other Medit resellers. Can't imagine any Medit reseller today not having a loaner since its rare that Medit scanners breakdown. Over the years I've bought scanners from 3 different resellers and all with loaners if needed which I didn't need.
No clue the average life of lab scanners but I can say newer faster more accurate scanners come out every several years. My Medit Hybrid bought in Dec 2016 was outdated less than 6 months after buying when the much faster T500 release. In late 2020 newer Medit T Series scanners were released, T310, T510, and T710 scanner. So my Medit Hybrid that's still a great scanner in todays times and with the ability to scan impressions is now 2 generations old in 3 yrs of my ownership.
My point in my posts, lab scanners don't last forever and not meant to with ever growing improved technology. Look at how fast IOS scanners are improving in just a few short years. The Medit i500 IOS is probably the best first generation IOS scanner ever made.
Should you buy DOF or Medit, both have been top of the pack scanners and have been since being released. Not aware of what year the DOF Freedom HD was released, bet DOF has a newer model in the works ? When I ordered my Hybrid in Nov 2016 the other choice I had was the Freedom HD, but maybe I'm wrong in the model name ?
Thank you for taking the time to give an extensive experience.

M

macindhoo

Reaction score
I have no comparison to any Medit desktop except the old SE. I really hated the scanning software and had exoscan installed to control the scanner.
I have DOF HD since mid to late 2016 and it has been rock solid. I just pre-emptively replaced the projector because it was pretty old and had turned blue from original white. It was still scanning accurately for screw retained cases. I called DOF and placed an order for the projector. IT showed up a week-10 days later from Korea and I replaced it myself, calibrated and it's working just as good as before. I didn't have to pack it and send it to Korea. Hopefully some of the techs on here who have had to send a Medit desktop out for repairs will tell us about there experience.
DOF HD has no model holder and as rkm rdt likes to say, "that's a real game changer!"
did you replace optoma projector sir?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
did you replace optoma projector sir?
Not sure what optoma projector is?
I replaced the projector with another HD projector. I did not upgrade to the UHD projector.

P

PressTech

Reaction score
Medit T 710 has 4 cameras-no blind spots, 8 second full arch scanning, auto elevation, 4 micron accuracy, what else could you ask for unless wanting a bleached shade scanner. Laugh
DOF would be my second choice for sure, but second place is not a winner.. ;)
when you mention no blind spots, is that based on your own experience using the scanner on anterior areas of upper teth ?, or just repeating what marketing says, I am also very curious about that scenario, anybody with also experience on using and intraoral scanner dor the same porpoise and getting good results?