IMPLANT HELP!!

N

NathanH

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct spot for this, or not, but here goes. I recieved this case a few days ago. The patient had these implants placed a few years ago and has never used them. She has an existing maxillary partial and would like to, use these for better retention. They are Straumann SynOcta RN implants. The only thing I can think of is to try Ball abutments, but I'm not sure of the converging angles. Patient does NOT want to make a new partial, does NOT want to have grey showing through the acrylic and she does NOT want there to be any extra "lumps" of acrylic on the palital side. I thought Shiner magnets, but they don't make them for this platform. Anyone have any ideas??

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTktMjAxMTAyMjMtMTQxNC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjAtMjAxMTAyMjMtMTQxNS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjItMjAxMTAyMjMtMTQyMC5qcGc.jpg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Can you get locators attachments for Straumann?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I just googled it, and yes you can.I suggest locators,probably 1mm height.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
It appears they are more divergent than than 30* so the locator in stock form will most likely not work. The biggest problem is if she has a partial now and it has a big labial flange capturing the undercut getting a rotational path with attachments is going to be a challenge.

It would be very easy to make some custom milled abutments that could be angle corrected with very Little taper then make a coping to be luted inside the partial. Of course this makes the appliance rigid which is not always the best since I have no idea how the existing appliance is designed.

Another idea is to make some custom abutments that you could then process soft liner around that will be like a modified ball attachment just in a more advantageous positioning by angle correcting them.

Lots of ways to utilize less than perfect fixture placement, the biggest challenge is the existing appliance.

Good luck let us know what you decide on

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
The Strauman makes 2.25mm ball that allows for 35* divergence with the astraclick. If the DDS is willing Preat has a ball Spheroflex 1.8mm ball that on a 0 collar would fit in the current removable. with partial and color adjusted retention could work. I looked but cannot find pictures I did one with DurAcetal Shade A3 with 2 1.8mm Spheroflex implants in #7 #11, clasps on #4, #13 . DDS said pt was happy haven't heard from since 6/09.

Tunajoe

Tunajoe

Reaction score
Check Bredent's catalogue. They might have something that would work.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Implant direct has angled GPS(locator) attachments available in March.

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
I'm with John. Custom abutments are the way to go. You can get some Straumann cylinders (UCLA type),wax some distal extension partial denture attachments to them (if you need to adjust the angulation of the implants some more just wax a little longer arm when you wax the attachments to the cylinders). Something resilient like ERA's would work nicely.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Why is it we always have to bend over backwards, jump through hoops, give birth and perform miracles? I agree with the idea that there is a lot of ways to address this, but as was said; it all depends on the existing prosthesis. Now, I'm sure the cost or those two implants is a lot more than a new appliance. Why compound a challenging situation and turn it into one thats compromised. The patient will never be happy. From the pics it appears that there is little room for a direct attachment to the implants so custom it is. But why make something custom only to place something thats not on the top of it? :( Go ahead and suggest to the doc the patient may be better served with this option, and most likely will save him a bunch of time down the road for repair revisits.