e.Max Crown Value Shift After Firing

M

MushMaster

Reaction score
Hello all! Got an issue here and I am wondering if anyone is familiar with the following. Regarding an e.Max lithium crown BL3 that shifts value (lower value) after firing stain/glaze. I realize I do have to execute a process of elimination for which I will do a follow; e.g. is it the glaze or the lithium material itself? However, if this is an issue you are familiar with, I'd appreciate some pointers. Will monitor and update this post accordingly.

Furnace: Dekema D4.
Lithium Disilicate: e.Max.
Glaze/stain: CeraMotion - Fired at recommended temperatures | Furnace calibrated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
What type of glaze? Only time I've seen it change is if I overfired the glaze (turning it white) giving a high value to the crown glazed. I know you can overfire e.max and it will lose value, but not usually seen on glazing cycle (because that's a lower temp).
When you sandblast the glaze off, does the value go back to BL3?

M

MushMaster

Reaction score
Thanks for the input there. Interesting you say the value to go up while (I forgot to mention) the value goes down in my case. A greyness.

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
The grey issue is why I stopped using emax except for the multi ingot which doesn’t seem to display the same effect so extremely. To my knowledge that issue has never been fixed in the material. I’m sure it was in some social media post? I had seen Ed Mclaren mention in some testing he did that showed the lowering of value after each fire of emax.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
The grey issue is why I stopped using emax except for the multi ingot which doesn’t seem to display the same effect so extremely. To my knowledge that issue has never been fixed in the material. I’m sure it was in some social media post? I had seen Ed Mclaren mention in some testing he did that showed the lowering of value after each fire of emax.
It's probably why they came out with the Power dentines and incisals, to try to help overcome that?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
How many times has it been fired? I was microcorrecting some anteriors fired them way too many times and they turned toenail on me.

M

MushMaster

Reaction score
As many as two bakes does it here! However, I can't say it was this extreme years ago. Either I am missing something major, or the material has changed.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
That's way two many!

M

MushMaster

Reaction score
Should have known better than to fire more than twice! All kidding aside, I figured it out. With CeraMotion glaze a thin layer actually maintains the value/chroma well. I applied it too thick which in turn does something funky with the overal value: lowers.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Maybe try InSync glaze. I've never noticed that issue with their glaze.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I never encountered this issue with GC LiSi Initial pressing with inSync glaze

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
^+1

I stopped using emax for lisi when it came out for that reason. And forget it if you sprue wrong, you will have a gray area you have to cut out.

Top Bottom