Differences in METAL by Nickel (Ni)

• Thread starter VincentCeramics
  • Start date
VincentCeramics

VincentCeramics

Reaction score
I bought Ivoclar Vivadent (INLINE) ceramic. And i need to chose metal.

Ivoclar recommends: Ivoclar 4all or Ivoclar Colado CC

4all is with Nickel and Colado CC is without Nickel.

...i know only that Nickel is bad for your health, but what are the other differences between these two metals? And what do you suggest?
THX

4all
Ni 61,4
Cr 25.7
Mo 11,0
Si 1,5
Al, C, Mn < 1,0

Colado CC
Co 59,0
Cr 25,5
Mo 5,5
W 5,0
Ga 3,2
Nb, Fe, B <1,0

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
I bought Ivoclar Vivadent (INLINE) ceramic. And i need to chose metal.

Ivoclar recommends: Ivoclar 4all or Ivoclar Colado CC

4all is with Nickel and Colado CC is without Nickel.

...i know only that Nickel is bad for your health, but what are the other differences between these two metals? And what do you suggest?
THX

4all
Ni 61,4
Cr 25.7
Mo 11,0
Si 1,5
Al, C, Mn < 1,0

Colado CC
Co 59,0
Cr 25,5
Mo 5,5
W 5,0
Ga 3,2
Nb, Fe, B <1,0

your going to be fine with either alloy with using them with InLine ceramic. both the CTE's match up with the given specifications that InLine porcelain asks for. the Colado chrome-cobalt will melt a bit faster for youj as it has a lower melting temperature. both the alloys have almost identical density - so be sure to give 4 full winds on your casting arm. the Colado CC will oxidize with a slight olive/grey color, versus the 4all will exhibit a medium gray color. I have also used the Pieces Plus (nickel based) alloy with inline and got great results. that is another suggestion for you. you may want to just order an ounce of each and run your own tests in the lab to see which works best in your hands. im sure you agree that all non-precious alloys are tougher to work with, but perhaps in your market you have no choice to use them. also nickel sensitivity is not something that is very common. i actually have never heard of a patient with nickel sensitivity, so do not let that be your final determination on what to use. i would try the pieces plus from ivoclar.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
also nickel sensitivity is not something that is very common. i actually have never heard of a patient with nickel sensitivity, so do not let that be your final determination on what to use. i would try the pieces plus from ivoclar.

Actually, the number of people with nickle allergy can range anywhere from 6 to 14% of the population depending on who you ask. There are also cases of transitional nickle allergy which can come and go depending upon environmental conditions. Those individuals will have intermittant symptoms which show up as a rash ot irritation from jewlery, eyeglasses and bra straps etc.

There are so many inexpensive alternatives to NP that it's really not something we need to use anymore...in my opinion anyway.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
There are so many inexpensive alternatives to NP that it's really not something we need to use anymore...in my opinion anyway.

Agree totally, I don't even offer it anymore, don't even put it on the fee schedule. The cost of noble is minimal when you start adding your labor, burs, stones, and delaminations of porcelain compared to base metals. Plus, see what it does to the tissue after a few years, you should show your experiment Mark, that tells the story right there.

VincentCeramics

VincentCeramics

Reaction score
Thx for answers

@sixonice... heheh i leave my casting arm to rotate like 15 seconds..that could be even 20 full spins..but im not shure is that ok or too long :) but it works ok, no problems.

@Mark Jackson & TheLabGuy... Can you tell me some inexpensive alternatives to NP? (Till now i only worked with np (with Nickel),gold and zircon)

Thx

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Thx for answers@Mark Jackson & TheLabGuy... Can you tell me some inexpensive alternatives to NP? (Till now i only worked with np (with Nickel),gold and zircon)

Thx

Chrome cobalt is an NP without the offensive ingredients. NiCrBe works great, but the hassles aren't worth it.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
Thx for answers

@sixonice... heheh i leave my casting arm to rotate like 15 seconds..that could be even 20 full spins..but im not shure is that ok or too long :) but it works ok, no problems.

@Mark Jackson & TheLabGuy... Can you tell me some inexpensive alternatives to NP? (Till now i only worked with np (with Nickel),gold and zircon)

Thx

Besides Nickel based & Chrome Cobalt based non-precious, there really isnt a hole heck of alot to choose from. Do you have access to zirconia or emax lithium disilicate restorations? Those are very viable alternatives.

M

Malcolm Graham

Reaction score
Chrome cobalt is an NP without the offensive ingredients. NiCrBe works great, but the hassles aren't worth it.

Nobel Biocare are now supplying a Chrome Cobalt alloy coping and calling it a Bio-alloy. I am trying a Cr-Co alloy from Ivoclar IPS d.sign 30, which is also an implant compatable alloy.
Is the bond of the porcelain better to Cr-Co than the Ni,Cr ?.
Has there been any independent testing done on the bond strength?.
If so does anyone know where I can access this info?.

Cheers Malcolm.