Cold cure reline feels like sandpaper after curing

A

Apex Dental

Reaction score
My cold cure relines have been coming out with a very rough, sandpaper-like finish on the intaglio surface. I have changed the stone out and has no effect, made sure the reline material had time to fully set per manufactures specs, rinsed off the disinfectant before pouring. the strange phenomenon is the post dam come out nice and smooth, but the palate surface is rough.

I am using the Teets brand cold cure powder, with the Henry Schein brand cold cure liquid. Any thoughts or answers to this issue would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
My cold cure relines have been coming out with a very rough, sandpaper-like finish on the intaglio surface. I have changed the stone out and has no effect, made sure the reline material had time to fully set per manufactures specs, rinsed off the disinfectant before pouring. the strange phenomenon is the post dam come out nice and smooth, but the palate surface is rough.

I am using the Teets brand cold cure powder, with the Henry Schein brand cold cure liquid. Any thoughts or answers to this issue would be appreciated. Thank you.
All of these processes require attention to detail absolutely. Time proven tech for a long while now, using different monomers and polymers is not going to work as you have no basic information or instructions on how to possibly proceed. Buy into a Full system and learn to work with it. Been there in the past for a second, not where you want to be. Lots of good choices available steer clear of Dentsply though imho.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score

1. Pre-soak models, I'll soak in hot water to be honest.
2. Use a quality separator let it dry a bit.
3. Don't mix brands, don't mix old and new powder/monomer to use up the last bit.
4. Don't cold cure there are many better quality options.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score

This is the answer that Chatgpt AI gave :) Seriously
There could be several factors contributing to the rough, sandpaper-like finish on the intaglio surface of your cold cure relines. Here are some possible reasons and solutions:
  1. Mixing ratio: Ensure that you are mixing the Teets brand cold cure powder and Henry Schein brand cold cure liquid in the correct ratio as specified by the manufacturer. Using an incorrect ratio can affect the final texture of the material. Double-check the instructions provided with the products.
  2. Mixing technique: Pay attention to your mixing technique. If the powder and liquid are not thoroughly mixed or if air bubbles are introduced during the mixing process, it can result in an uneven surface texture. Make sure to mix the materials according to the recommended guidelines, using a consistent and controlled mixing technique.
  3. Temperature and humidity: Cold cure materials can be sensitive to temperature and humidity. Extreme temperature or high humidity levels in your working environment can affect the curing process and lead to an irregular surface texture. Ensure that the temperature and humidity in your workspace are within the recommended range provided by the manufacturer.
  4. Setting time: Although you mentioned that you have allowed the reline material to fully set according to the manufacturer's specifications, double-check that you are indeed following the correct setting time. Insufficient setting time may result in an incomplete or uneven curing process, leading to a rough surface texture.
  5. Contamination: Check for any contamination during the process. Ensure that the working area and tools are clean and free from debris or residues that may affect the quality of the relines. Also, make sure to rinse off any disinfectant thoroughly before pouring the material.
  6. Material quality: While it's unlikely, there is a possibility that the specific batch of Teets brand cold cure powder or Henry Schein brand cold cure liquid you are using could be defective. Contact the manufacturer or supplier to inquire about any known issues with the specific lot or if they have received similar complaints.
If you have tried all of the above suggestions and are still experiencing the issue, it might be helpful to consult with dental professionals or the technical support teams of the manufacturers involved. They can provide more specific guidance and troubleshoot the problem further.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
This is the answer that Chatgpt AI gave :) Seriously
There could be several factors contributing to the rough, sandpaper-like finish on the intaglio surface of your cold cure relines. Here are some possible reasons and solutions:
  1. Mixing ratio: Ensure that you are mixing the Teets brand cold cure powder and Henry Schein brand cold cure liquid in the correct ratio as specified by the manufacturer. Using an incorrect ratio can affect the final texture of the material. Double-check the instructions provided with the products.
  2. Mixing technique: Pay attention to your mixing technique. If the powder and liquid are not thoroughly mixed or if air bubbles are introduced during the mixing process, it can result in an uneven surface texture. Make sure to mix the materials according to the recommended guidelines, using a consistent and controlled mixing technique.
  3. Temperature and humidity: Cold cure materials can be sensitive to temperature and humidity. Extreme temperature or high humidity levels in your working environment can affect the curing process and lead to an irregular surface texture. Ensure that the temperature and humidity in your workspace are within the recommended range provided by the manufacturer.
  4. Setting time: Although you mentioned that you have allowed the reline material to fully set according to the manufacturer's specifications, double-check that you are indeed following the correct setting time. Insufficient setting time may result in an incomplete or uneven curing process, leading to a rough surface texture.
  5. Contamination: Check for any contamination during the process. Ensure that the working area and tools are clean and free from debris or residues that may affect the quality of the relines. Also, make sure to rinse off any disinfectant thoroughly before pouring the material.
  6. Material quality: While it's unlikely, there is a possibility that the specific batch of Teets brand cold cure powder or Henry Schein brand cold cure liquid you are using could be defective. Contact the manufacturer or supplier to inquire about any known issues with the specific lot or if they have received similar complaints.
If you have tried all of the above suggestions and are still experiencing the issue, it might be helpful to consult with dental professionals or the technical support teams of the manufacturers involved. They can provide more specific guidance and troubleshoot the problem further.
I went further and stated:
As a dental professional I dont recommend mixing different brands

Ai's answer:
As a dental professional, you are correct that it is generally recommended to avoid mixing different brands of dental materials unless specifically instructed by the manufacturers. Different brands may have different formulations, setting times, and chemical reactions, which can lead to unpredictable results or compromised material performance.
In your case, since you have already mixed Teets brand cold cure powder with Henry Schein brand cold cure liquid, it is possible that the combination of these two different brands may be contributing to the rough surface texture you are experiencing. The interaction between the powder and liquid components could be causing an undesirable reaction or affecting the material's properties.
To troubleshoot the issue, I would advise using cold cure powder and liquid from the same manufacturer and following their recommended instructions for mixing and setting times. This will ensure that the materials are compatible and designed to work together, reducing the likelihood of any undesirable effects.
If you continue to experience difficulties even with materials from the same brand, I would recommend contacting the manufacturer's technical support for further assistance. They will have the specific knowledge and expertise to help troubleshoot the issue and provide guidance tailored to their product.

Last edited:
Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score

Ai's answer:
As a dental professional, you are correct that it is generally recommended to avoid mixing different brands of dental materials unless specifically instructed by the manufacturers. Different brands may have different formulations, setting times, and chemical reactions, which can lead to unpredictable results or compromised material performance.
In your case, since you have already mixed Teets brand cold cure powder with Henry Schein brand cold cure liquid, it is possible that the combination of these two different brands may be contributing to the rough surface texture you are experiencing. The interaction between the powder and liquid components could be causing an undesirable reaction or affecting the material's properties.
To troubleshoot the issue, I would advise using cold cure powder and liquid from the same manufacturer and following their recommended instructions for mixing and setting times. This will ensure that the materials are compatible and designed to work together, reducing the likelihood of any undesirable effects.
If you continue to experience difficulties even with materials from the same brand, I would recommend contacting the manufacturer's technical support for further assistance. They will have the specific knowledge and expertise to help troubleshoot the issue and provide guidance tailored to their product.
From the different posts, it looks like you're having fun with Ai.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score

Ai's answer:
Oh well, been a good life, guess I'm redundant now 🥺😎

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Oh well, been a good life, guess I'm redundant now 🥺😎
Not quite yet lol, based on the paces I put my new friend Chatgpt through, it wants to become a large robotic raptor bird such as a Great Horned Owl that can see in the dark, work on it's own without input, is solitary and it emphasizes having very large talons. We are doomed...

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Your question has been answered, I know the denture world is crazy, and I have seen some crazy stuff. I have never seen mixing different brand polymer and monomer. I have seen using the same brand of cold with hot polymer or vice versa, or even mixing the hot and cold together to make the denture more "soft and flexible".

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Your question has been answered, I know the denture world is crazy, and I have seen some crazy stuff. I have never seen mixing different brand polymer and monomer. I have seen using the same brand of cold with hot polymer or vice versa, or even mixing the hot and cold together to make the denture more "soft and flexible".
Same brand helps, likely very similar raw materials involved but same house. Never ever heard that before though.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Same brand helps, likely very similar raw materials involved but same house. Never ever heard that before though.
Then again it's chemistry but different producers can certainly have different inputs. Tinker City is my worry on this 🥺 Vroam

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Heat and cold cure mixed together, now that's a new one on me.

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I have a brand new bottle of polymer at the lab that specifically says to use any cold cure monomer. I’ll have to check in the am. More likely the problem is the model. Vac spatulated?

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
One time we were wondering why the acrylic was taking so long to cure for a couple of repairs and we figured out that two different brands were being mixed. Stick with the proper brands.

Top Bottom