Bent shaft on Red Wing lathe

M

MCGeorge

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! My first post here. I have a Red Wing 28L lathe that arrived used. It's really clean, but the left shaft is bent and throws it out of balance when I turn it on.

I picked up the lathe to use the quick chuck on the right side. I don't really need the left side shaft.

Does anyone know: is the shaft a replaceable part, or is it solid all the way through the motor? I am hoping I can either replace the part, or fire up the lathe and use a carbide cutting tool to cut the bent portion of the shaft off to allow the thing to run smoothly.

Since I've never been inside one of these lathes I thought I'd ask first.

Thanks!
Malcolm

B

Bdf

Reaction score
The shaft is part of the armature and cannot be replaced.

If you don't need that end I guess you could saw it off with a hack saw while the lathe is running ???

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I think its solid all the way through. I don't believe its a simple fix, sounds like UPS dropped it???

Good luck

M

MCGeorge

Reaction score
Hack saw will work much better than a carbide disc- great idea! Something creepy about letting the lathe amputate itself....

USPS dropped it.

Thanks for the advice!

Malcolm

I

Ivan

Reaction score
I would give a try at straightening with a hammer. You might be able to get it back in balance or use the box end wrench to lever it back straight.
Slip the box end over the shaft and pry it back. then if that fails its hacksaw time.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
You can replace that spindle...its rebuildable... I think my maintenance guy has one lying around from a rebuild that was done.

Service and repair is not what it used to be. Most times when equipment is damaged, companies dont want the hassle of repair, but its usually possible.

Let me know if you want some more info!

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
You might think outside of the box and take it to a local autobody or machine/ welding shop. I've used these kind of places many times for odds and ends that needed repairing. At the very least they could possibly take the lathe apart and straighten out the spindle.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Here's the part you need. Open up the casing, remove the control board, slide the old spindle out, and drop your new one in.

Easier said than done, but its a repair.
IMG_0150.jpg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Bent shaft?

You may want to talk to Lab Guy,

he's from Detroit and was in the Navy.....(snort)

a4.bp.blogspot.com__u8L5m1twr8Q_TH3FwVALRMI_AAAAAAAAABU_owl83hb551273622f819299657a8b746a7e90c.jpg
a4.bp.blogspot.com__u8L5m1twr8Q_TH3FwVALRMI_AAAAAAAAABU_owl83hb551273622f819299657a8b746a7e90c.jpg

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Take it to an electric motor shop they probably have the parts
or can get them sourced easier than finding it yourself.
I would have the bearing replaced on the side that was bent as well.
That will be the part that goes next.

B

Bdf

Reaction score
Here's the part you need. Open up the casing, remove the control board, slide the old spindle out, and drop your new one in.

Easier said than done, but its a repair.

What you have pictured is NOT the shaft but a complete armature.

Last edited:
PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
What you have pictured is NOT the shaft but a complete armature.

That is true, but this is a much easier replacement than disassembling the entire thing to get down to the shaft. What I have is more of a drop in replacement. Trust me, its not my first rodeo with these.

B

Bdf

Reaction score
That is true, but this is a much easier replacement than disassembling the entire thing to get down to the shaft. What I have is more of a drop in replacement. Trust me, its not my first rodeo with these.

AGAIN, the shaft is NOT replaceable by itself, it is part of the armature! AND this is NOT my first rodeo I have been working on electric motors for 40+ years.