AnyRidge Zir Hybrid Abutment Debonding

Noke Re Ani

Noke Re Ani

Reaction score
Hello all.

I got a case back from one of my doctors which we finished in february 2014. The abutment came off the TiBase. Here at the lab we always sand blast the TiBase before we cement the abutments together. The cement that we use is Panavia SA Cement Plus Hand Mix which we have been getting good results compared to 3M Espe RelyX Ultimate.

I dont believe that this patient had a heavy bite either since I do not see any wear on the occlusion.

I was wondering if there is another step that I can take to get the bond to be stronger? I heard there was something to prime the TiBase before cementing?

Thanks guys!
View media item 57View media item 56View media item 55

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Hello all.

I got a case back from one of my doctors which we finished in february 2014. The abutment came off the TiBase. Here at the lab we always sand blast the TiBase before we cement the abutments together. The cement that we use is Panavia SA Cement Plus Hand Mix which we have been getting good results compared to 3M Espe RelyX Ultimate.

I dont believe that this patient had a heavy bite either since I do not see any wear on the occlusion.

I was wondering if there is another step that I can take to get the bond to be stronger? I heard there was something to prime the TiBase before cementing?

Thanks guys!
View media item 57View media item 56View media item 55

Are you using any type of bonding agent on your TiBase or Zirconia? The adhesive cement is really just a filler and has no real bond to either the zirc or metal, you need an intermediary agent to actually bond to the zirc or alloy. Of course I would recommend Monobond Plus from Ivoclar, which is a universal bonding agent for glass ceramics, oxide ceramics (zirc) and metal. Quick and easy to use, just follow the instructions for use.

krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
Patrick is correct and fully endorsing his product which is good stuff

We use Bisco Z-Prime on the Zirconia, Panavia F 2.0 for the cement and use the metal primer on the Ti base

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Probably because ivoclar products are great. I would stand behind them too lol.

PRINCESS

PRINCESS

Reaction score
When cementing zirconia to titanium do you guys recommen using bisco or just sandblasting?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I was using Relyx and had major debonding issues, then I switched over to ivoclar multi link implant followed directions and never had one since.

Step one: Fit the abutment to the interface if needed and assure 100% seating.
Step two: Sandblast both the Ti interface and inside of the Zr Abutment.
Step three: Steam off Ti abutment and inside the abutment and clean with air.
Step four: Apply monobond to both the Ti interface and inside of abutment. Let stand for 60 seconds then blow with air.
Step five: Apply mixed multi link implant MO or HO to the Ti Interface only!
Step six: Fit abutment over Ti interface, forcing extra glue to form a little ring at the base of the abutment and Ti interface seat.
Step seven: Let stand for a few minutes and use a bard parker to remove extra glue ring, let sit till fully cured.

Polish base and your done.

CAP has a video here.

http://www.capacademy.com/videos/back-to-analog/training/75/288

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
You could also rocatec the Zi prior to applying the monobond. Not a cheap material to buy but has proven success.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Just had a Zirconia abutment from my lab spin on me (or the implant itself have failed - which is always possible).
We left it in since it was stable after I rotated it back into position.
Ceramic lab got it from another major vendor (Origin from what I understand).
Has that happened to anyone from that or other milling centers?
LCM

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Just had a Zirconia abutment from my lab spin on me (or the implant itself have failed - which is always possible).
We left it in since it was stable after I rotated it back into position.
Ceramic lab got it from another major vendor (Origin from what I understand).
Has that happened to anyone from that or other milling centers?
LCM
When you torqued the screw what spun? The abutment? Is it and engaging interface?

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
It was an engaging interface, so intuition would say the implant has failed.
However, pt did not really feel any pain, which typically would be the first response.
Unless the pt just have very high tolerance.
I am inclined to think the implant has failed, but wanting to not try and unscrew
it again and give the bone a chance to heal. Surgeon has not evaluated it yet.
LCM

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
The implant spun upon torqueing that's a bad day in the office.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
We had one similar recently, when the dentist sent a completed job back and said we must have rotated the lab analogue in the impression because it is way out of alignment in the mouth.
We asked him to attach the analogue in the new impression and re-made it to that, and when he went to torque down the new abutment the whole implant rotated with the driver.
Patient did not feel any pain from what I understand.

We have another hybrid that has been in 2 years and the dentist claims that the abutment (with crown still attached),has fallen out but the screw is still in the implant. How is this possible unless the screw has somehow worn a complete hole in the Ti. Could only imagine this happening if the screw was the wrong size.
Has anybody seen this before?

Last edited:
JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
We had one similar recently, when the dentist sent a completed job back and said we must have rotated the lab analogue in the impression because it is way out of alignment in the mouth.
We asked him to attach the analogue in the new impression and re-made it to that, and when he went to torque down the new abutment the whole implant rotated with the driver.
Patient did not feel any pain from what I understand.
You sent a bill for the remake?

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
No:( He is a good long term client, so we bit the bullet on that one.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
At least send a you owe me.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
" We have vyaays of making him pay" over time of course :)

Top Bottom