A Poll for Scanners

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
I've been mulling the subject of scanners amd mills for some time. Since BobCDT started one on mills maybe we can parallel the topic with Scanners. Whats your setup? What do you like or dont like, # of axes, pricing etc. If you had to put one together today what would you look for? Scan (Light) technology? What brand of components? Let's roll...errr grind...excited to make some Zr dust.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Would love a scanner that would scan models on any semi adjustable articulator.
Speaking of "zirconia dust", maybe should have a poll on dust collectors for mills.

Nowakdental

Nowakdental

Reaction score
The Schutz Smart scan allows you to scan fully articulated models and is also the fastest scanner on the market.

Beatrice

Beatrice

Reaction score
Bob,

How much are you willing to pay?
That the only question :p

I can scan any model on any semi adjustable articulator.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Bob, let's get together and create a scanning facility - I've already got the CT Company on board, just need a VC to put down $500k.

Give me Sam and Matt and we can start adjusting models from the scans and pushing them through production. If we need to, use model maker and print models with the projet.

90 seconds / impression - accuracy depends on how much we want the model decimated.

but really, we can just go true model-less.

Only models to pour up would be implants (and even then, i'm sure we could figure out a solution)

CAP milling center + "CAP Scanning Center" haha

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Bob,

How much are you willing to pay?
That the only question :p

I can scan any model on any semi adjustable articulator.
Hey Bernard,
It's really not about what I would pay. In order for a scanner company to justify manufacturing I think they would need to project adequate sales to justify R&D. To make this work, the scanner would likely need to be priced in the ball park, or possibly a little higher than what is now market ready.
That said, $30-38K with CAM would probably fly.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Bob, let's get together and create a scanning facility - I've already got the CT Company on board, just need a VC to put down $500k.

Give me Sam and Matt and we can start adjusting models from the scans and pushing them through production. If we need to, use model maker and print models with the projet.

90 seconds / impression - accuracy depends on how much we want the model decimated.

but really, we can just go true model-less.

Only models to pour up would be implants (and even then, i'm sure we could figure out a solution)

CAP milling center + "CAP Scanning Center" haha
Do you have a business plan around this?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
How can you not go with 3shape in todays market? Trying to save a few grand a year with something not main stream in my opinion is foolhardy. There is a reason why they are number one in the world right?

C

charles007

Reaction score
How can you not go with 3shape in todays market? Trying to save a few grand a year with something not main stream in my opinion is foolhardy. There is a reason why they are number one in the world right?

:Cry:

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
There are quite a few very capable industrial scanners out there what could do the job if they could be interfaced with our current CAD softwares...there are even CT units below $200k... There's one I really like... thouch probe for accuracy and laser combo for quick data gathering for less important areas all on a 6axis robotic arm under 40k....

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
CT units below $200k - are great - but what's the scan time on those units, and also - what is the post processing?

Scanning an impression is easy, cleaning it up is a problem. I've only been able to do good cleanup and filling of "holes" in geomagic with moderate success. THAT is where 3Shape needs to step it up.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi John,
There are many small labs that are just getting by. For these labs an annual bill for $2500 is difficult. I understand this and am happy there is a less expensive alternative. That said, no question 3Shape is the world leader in the technology. Now, with the introduction of the Trios, 3Shape purchase will become even more compelling. For most more successful labs, trying to save the annual upgrade and support fees is penny wise and dollar foolish.
Just my two cents.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
CT units below $200k - are great - but what's the scan time on those units, and also - what is the post processing?

Scanning an impression is easy, cleaning it up is a problem. I've only been able to do good cleanup and filling of "holes" in geomagic with moderate success. THAT is where 3Shape needs to step it up.

CT scanning is very slow in comparison with optical methods. .. but it could scan an articulated model including dies in one step. I'm sure that the resolution can be lowered and some scripting could be applied to speed up things. You'd need to beef up the foundation ($$$) where is to be placed to elliminate vibrations... Raw post processing at hi res takes a long time (5-40min) on dedicaded computers depending on size and complexity of densities... I believe for dental applications could go low as 30 sec since lots of data will be simplified and discarded...its all about software. ..

Last edited: