3M MDI Mini - Crown

R

Rick Sonntag

Reaction score
I just received a case with a 3M MDI mini implant for a crown and upon putting the analog into the waxing sleeve / impression coping I noticed a huge amount of play between the plastic coping and the square head analog, both laterally and slightly in rotation. Is it possible to secure the analog in the correct position? How do you find the correct position? Did 3M think this through or am I missing something really obvious? It's the first time I've seen one used for a crown and I didn't hear a snap like you would with Straumann. What keeps it from flapping in the breeze once the stone or Gingifast or flows around it?

Rick

hammerhead

hammerhead

Reaction score
I just received a case with a 3M MDI mini implant for a crown and upon putting the analog into the waxing sleeve / impression coping I noticed a huge amount of play between the plastic coping and the square head analog, both laterally and slightly in rotation. Is it possible to secure the analog in the correct position? How do you find the correct position? Did 3M think this through or am I missing something really obvious? It's the first time I've seen one used for a crown and I didn't hear a snap like you would with Straumann. What keeps it from flapping in the breeze once the stone or Gingifast or flows around it?

Rick

use something to hold it together like primotec.

but at the end of the day rick ,its stil a turd on a stick

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
I've only used these implants on 2 cases and I know exactly what you are saying. I spoke to the clinician who said yes they are that sloppy. I found it hard to get my head around as well, but I used ky jelly to hold itb staedy while I carefully placed the gingival mask into the impression.

The case went well but In still donot know how he position can be accurate

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
What color is the plastic impression coping?

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
yellow from memory but i may be mistaken

R

Rick Sonntag

Reaction score
Impression coping is yellow, came with the case. It's so disappointing that we still have to deal with OM surgeons that are essentially clueless about the restorative process recommending stuff like this, leaving the dentist and tech stuck in the middle wanting to make a patient happy, trying to make something work that can't. The tooth is a lateral and the restoring dentist did a beautiful job of shaping the tissue during the healing process. No pressure though, case is due on the 14th, patient moving on the 17th, out-of-state case. BTW, for others that may encounter something like this, I used a thin coat of rubber sep on the analog to hold it in place.

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
Rubber sep is a good idea, you could also use a little white rope wax. The yellow impression coping is supposed to be removed from the impression after model fabrication and utilized as a burn out coping. Good luck with this case.