What do you use for facings

D

DDDental

Reaction score
If you have metal backings, what is your choice for facings?
I have been using indirect composite Sculpture +, but I'd like to hear other options.

D

DDDental

Reaction score
Tim, what kind of retention on backings do you like? Loops, double loops? What kind of metal primer and opaque do you use, and from what company? Do you use tooth color acrylic to process the facings and how often or do you use pink acrylic with denture teeth facings?

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
It changes depending on the situation. Flatback about 25% of the time. custom boxing with a post some. Usually I like to set the teeth and cut retention and include this when I pour up my refractory model and then just wax to it.

D

DDDental

Reaction score
Thanks Tim. One more question, you say you cut retentions on lingual of the denture teeth.How do you do it , and when making refractory model, do these retentions come out sharp?
'

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
557 bur or a number 8 I then take an inverted cone and make a finish line a little below the translucent incisial edge. After I cut it i coat it with a thin layer of relief wax to help it come out sharp. If it gets a bubble you can always bur it out a bit with a smaller bur after you dip it. The resulting ruogh surface just gives you a bit more mechanical retention.

D

DDDental

Reaction score
Thanks Tim, now this is a great help, and that's what this forum is all about.

D

DDDental

Reaction score
I'll share something also with you. When you are doing metal backings or overlays and it is necessary to articulate refractory model, just pop off master model from articulator , fix the refractory model to opposing model , close the articulator and glue it with glue gun in place. Works every time.

Last edited:
Joseph Minuk

Joseph Minuk

Reaction score
I came across this post while browsing old entries, I'm new to the Network and finding the discussions and advise very interesting and informative. I know we all have our favorite products and procedures, but are always open to other experiences. As far as facings with metal backings, back in the 70's Steels facings were available, and was what I used, they were available in porcelain and acrylic (no longer around)...that I know of ??
Until recently I also used denture teeth, now I have found Justi Imperial Flatback Facings with plastic backing patterns. Google...American Tooth Industries Flatback Facings.
This Network is very addictive, can't put it down!!

C

cozmet25

Reaction score
does anybody know where I can find Steels facings and plastic-castable backings?

P

pidl600

Reaction score
Did you get an answer to your question. I have about 800 Steeles Facings in different shades and moulds for sale. Also you can get the plastic backings from American tooth and also Silcox Dental. If you need teeth email me at [email protected] Thanks!

N

nickate

Reaction score
does anybody know where I can find Steels facings and plastic-castable backings?

I have a huge stock of Steele's facings I would be willing to sell for $100. All are carded and in a Steele's tooth cabinet. Most are porcelain.